My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife was using the cordless B&D motor when "it just stopped." I thought she had driven over a stump, thus the abrupt stoppage. Upon disassembly, it appears that a large chunk of one magnet had been ingested by the rotor. For the morbidly curious, photos are provided (click for higher resolution):

The mower is a CMM1000 in orange trim. I just obtained a similar mower in green that "needs work." I haven't dug into it yet, but the motor on the new[er] one turns freely, so I'm hoping that I can pull a Mr. Spock and build one working mower out of two broken ones.

·
Just Evil
903 Posts
I retract that last question, if i had read further the first time around I would have seen the answer to that. :sidelaugh

Sorry.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, been there. Looks like the motors are pretty common across the CMM1000 and CMM1200 units. I didn't have an opportunity to discuss the finer details with the seller of the "donor" unit. I'll add to this thread as I tear into the beastie.

Heck, for all I know, the "donor" unit just has dead batteries, and will be receiving an SLA transplant from the orange one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the newly acquired CMM1000 is in considerably better shape than the original one. Swapping the SLA pack over did the trick. Runs like a champ. The old orange mower has been officially parted-out.

Incidentally, I considered cleaning out the old motor and reassembling it. While checking that the drive-end ball bearing wasn't full of crud, I noticed that there was considerable wobble at the bushing-end. This failure bent the motor shaft, and more than just a little. It is completely toast, and is headed off to the metal recycling pile in the sky. That's a shame, as this seems to be a decent 24V electric motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts