My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it’s been a while coming, but I’ve finally worked through enough projects to get back into my B-1 loader project. The resto was mostly complete, but assembly was put off over and over. In the process of refinishing, I dropped my Cessna pump, causing a tweak of some sort that was binding inside the pump. A local shop fixed it for free, and I got it back from them last week….so here we go!

A pic of the delivery, then the post-sandblasting

Getting my rear mounts and wheel spacers in place (was missing one original mount, and wheel spacers)

Here’s where I picked up the project this week. Getting the frame mounted was a pain. Since I was missing the front mount bracket, I had fabbed one when I put the Big Ten back together. Problem was…I did not get the spacing right, and needed to take the grill off and add some spacers to allow the front tabs on the loader frame to slide in.

And here’s where we ended up. I got my hoses, pins and fluid squared away, and fired the old girl up. After finding that ONE fitting I FORGOT to tighten, we were in business. I cycled it per the manual, and it bled out quickly and was working great! Went for a spin, and was running out of light, so maybe tomorrow we’ll work on decals and some photography. I shot the bucket with yellow, and am heading for some relaxation. It is an amazing ‘toy’! This should be fun =]

:trink40:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Looks great! Looks like deestone tires, what width are the rears? How much did they hit you for the sandblasting?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very nice!! Great job in the restoration.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...took long enough, and Ill have more to come. Need to wrap up some finishing touches and build a bracket for my suitcase weights.

Yup, the tires are Deestones all around. The rears are 8.5's. I wanted to stay original, and I have a dual setup with 6" trupowers that sit beside them. I like the Deestones, but will be using 10.5" Carlisles on my next redo (Squire 9), and Im taking a few more liberties with that one.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Very nice job. I really like how it looks on the tractor. Now I want one too lol.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blasting ran me around $200, but Im looking for the exact number. This was EVERYTHING, including all loader components (minus pump and cylinders) and all parts of the dismantled Big Ten (minus engine and tranny). I had boxes of small parts and brackets that would have simply been painted over or taken me forever and a day to wheel down.

I also was able to locate a rebuild kit for the pump, at some hole in the wall place in Missouri, and had new hoses made up.

I wish I had ALL the original parts, but what I did uave was in great shape, with a half dozen coats of paint, over the original Henry Co's primer and orange. I've heard from another B-1 loader owner, that his was orange under the Allis yellow as well. Its strange because Henry only made this model for the more 'premium' Allis GT line, at that time.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, what are you waiting for! There are plenty out there that need saving =]

Really though, it was a project that took a lot of work and head scratching, being my first restoration since I was just a helper in Grandpa's shop 14 years ago. It was 7 or months to complete the tractor and loader, and I'll pick away at little things that bug me as long as I own it. Most of the time was spent thinking, and wishing for more time to work on it. I have no idea how many man hours actually went into it, but it probably wasn't too awfully bad.

It was quite the experience with my wife as well. She thought I was nuts (probably still does), was VERY irritated with the commitment at times, but now wants to know when I'm planning on doing another! =] I know #2 will go much, much smoother, and certainly much faster. I think that with the right prep (picking up hardware, new parts, etc), I could have my Squire torn down and taken to the blaster one weekend, picked up and shot with paint during the week, then reassembled and running by the following Saturday nite.

With the proper paint & setup, I think I could redo a loader in a day, sandblast and all. My blasting guy can have something that size returned to me by lunch, if I drop it off in the morning, Napa can have lines made up in an hour or less, and painting takes no time at all, as long as I had the right hardener mix to speed up my dry time. If I find an L12, I may have to take a vacation day =]

I can't wait to get my counter weight setup and do some lifting to really get the feel for it.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Maybe just the picture, but it looks like the FEL is going to hit the headlights when it raises up??

Looks awesome!

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe just the picture, but it looks like the FEL is going to hit the headlights when it raises up??

Looks awesome!
Yeah, the pic does make it look that way, but the headlights clear by about 1/2". The one thing i do NOT care for is the exhaust burning my paint. If there ever was a need for a stack, this is it. I'm just not sure...it would have to be an awfully nice one. I'm not sure a Nelson can would fit, but that's what they had on there in the day.

The bucket trip lever clears my Dual lift lever by about a quarter inch...and the clutch/brake will need adjustment. The pedal contacts the frame and gives me only about 75% braking ability right now. The belt I have on there is toast, so I'm going to adjust after getting a new belt on. They did a nice job engineering this thing to fit juuuuust right. :bananapow

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
$200 is very reasonable for the blasting. That would have cost at least $400 near me.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy I go to is so cool too...he's been in business with his brother since the late '70's and is easy going as they get. He has a special interest in restoration work, and will talk your ear off about anything. His pricing was more or less off the cuff. I had a Brinly plow in there that I had blasted and powdercoated, and told him I would have more work for him (the Big Ten). We got to talkin about what it was, and he said he could keep it under $200.

THEN...I found the loader, and expected another $100-ish when I dropped it off. He looked in the back of the truck at my pile, and said "I told you $200, right?" I explained how I had added pieces, and he only asked if I would bring him another one that he could work on some time when he's slow. I knew I would, so he said $200 would still do it! I think it ended up being closer to $220 when I picked it up. I have to take him some before and after photos for his wall in the office, and expect to take him some more Simplicity steel when he slows down in late winter/early spring. Right now thru the end of snowfall, he's swamped.

Sure beats wheelin and sandin. He does a nice job, and I did gamble on one rusty side panel (I kept the original, due to the dealer tag being present, so used another) and lost. He said it was just too thin and opened up a bit.

Here's the original...thought it might be neat to sit with the tractor at shows, since I bought it in the town it where the dealer was located.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Yeah, the pic does make it look that way, but the headlights clear by about 1/2". The one thing i do NOT care for is the exhaust burning my paint. If there ever was a need for a stack, this is it. I'm just not sure...it would have to be an awfully nice one. I'm not sure a Nelson can would fit, but that's what they had on there in the day.

The bucket trip lever clears my Dual lift lever by about a quarter inch...and the clutch/brake will need adjustment. The pedal contacts the frame and gives me only about 75% braking ability right now. The belt I have on there is toast, so I'm going to adjust after getting a new belt on. They did a nice job engineering this thing to fit juuuuust right. :bananapow
Ahh ok... So it is just the picture, i figured.

Time for a stack with a flapper... Ting ting ting ting... Love that sound at idle.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Mr green, your right, something needs done with the muffer, maybe just angle it down. The loader arms look to be right in front of the muffler when its level. Most of the loaders time will be spend in that general area.

So maybe just angleing down 45 degs would be better.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok looked at the picture again, can't go down very easy.
I'm thinking up is the only way...unless I stick a Nelson on there, but it will be very, very tight. I'll have to put a tape to it.

I got some things squared away tonite, and was able to get a few more pics. It's a pretty neat feel to drive around a loader, being new to it and all.

The ‘ol Big Ten is running a bit fussy for some reason. I’m going to have to tinker with the carb and see what’s going on. She sounds like she’s running rich at high rpm, but falls flat on her face when I take fuel away or put a load is put against it. Throwin some nasty fire from the pepper shaker too. =[

1 - 20 of 20 Posts