My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've tried the JB Weld thing on my key way dilemma, but it did not hold the
first go round.... So I'm going to try it again....

I done a little drawing on my computer so everyone can have a look see at
what I'm dealing with and maybe give some other advice on how to fix it
(mind you I would like to do this without Rob really helping unless he really has
to.... Mind you I'm not very good at welding yet.)

Here's the funny little drawing that I done!!!

Ok any suggestion on fixing this??? Right now I've tried JB weld yet again,
only this time with a bit more hardner (ok twice as much as the liquid steel)
and I put Rob's heat lamp on it to aid in drying.... But my thought is not to be
expecting this to hold.

This is as of right now the ONLY thing holding me back on this tractor, I got a
new brake band yesterday and installed it, got the engine running good
thanks to Rob setting the carb and all the parts that he has!!!!

I've never torn an axle apart and really don't think that I'm even ready for
that yet....

Ok enough of my rambling....

Merrie​
Merrie​

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
I don't think JB will work for this. While on my quest for pullies, I found one that might work, only the key way is twice the size as the shaft key way. The guy I was talking with said "no problem" we have "steped Keys". Basicly a key one size for the shaft and a different size for the pully. I am wondering id some creative grinding on some small stock to shape a larger key in the "keystone" shape, and the wheel key slot shape?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I think you should take the axle shaft out and have a machinist fix it properly, and provide you a stepped key as Larry mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I agree with D-Dogg. That part is under a lot of stress in operation and unfortunately I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and either have it machined out or replace the axles or transmission.

·
16,630 Posts
I think she was trying to avoid pulling the tranny and splitting the case--but in this instance--that's about the only option if it's that far gone....

Good luck-Merrie!!

glenn

·
Registered
74 Posts
Having another key slot machined on the opposite side of the axle is probably going to be the only real fix, short of welding the hub to the axle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Merrie, Here's a thought. If you take one of your axles that has a good axle shaft on that side, and disassemble it first to see what you are getting into. I would also get a drawing from either Sears or partstree to see what goes where.

·
Registered
891 Posts
JB Weld won't work in this application. You're going to need a repair method that's more heavy-duty. I had a key-shearing problem in my snowblower's jackshaft. I repaired the keyway by welding onto the shaft, dressing it down on a lathe, then machining the keyway back out. Of note - the keyway was machined by hand with a Dremel and a carbide disc. Took over an hour, and I was working under a magnifying lens the whole time. The shaft is hardened, so standard cutting tools wouldn't work. I ended up making a stepped key also. McMaster Carr sells keys by the 50-count bag, so I really didn't worry if I boogered one or more ... I practiced on several before committing to the machine work. Making a matched-fit stepped key would probably be my first recommendation to you. The keys are inexpensive, and can be easily shaped with a file and a vise. Take your time. Measure and test fit often.

I should also note that I clamped the shaft into a v-block, and made an ad-hoc fixture to help stabilize and locate the Dremel tool while making the keyway cuts. I don't think I would attempt this kind of repair with the shaft still on the machine.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Nice work, Sir! :fing32:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've 'repaired' a couple like that. I copied what was on the other axle to get correct location and size, then transfer that stuff to the side opposite of the messed up key slot. Scratch the image on the surface. Use a Dremmel and it's cut off wheels to cut a new slot. Taking time and being REAL careful about keeping the sides straight, it can be done. Keep dressing the slot and dry fitting a new half-moon. Eventually the key will get down to close where it should be. Try slipping the hub over it. If it's still too tall, then gently grind the slot a smidge deeper. By the way, don't mean to come off as safety police, but a breathing mask when using these cut off wheels is a must...

·
Registered
148 Posts
How long did you let the JB weld set? The slow type needs several hours in warm weather and a long time it cold weather.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
"I've never torn an axle apart and really don't think that I'm even ready for
that yet...."

Its like Christmas.....once you open it up and see the goodies inside the rest will be history. It cant be that hard if WE all do it, can it????:ROF
Of course I do a lot of this too.:praying::praying::praying:

Good advice given earlier. Get the manual online and dont forget the gasket (and some gloves for the oil and grease).:goodl:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
If your shaft looks like the one above,Have you thought about just cutting a new slot in a different place on the shaft? Then you can fill the old one with weld,and file it down to fit hub.Either way you go,the end result can be repaired at a welding shop,if you mess up.Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Nothing is going to be perfect without taking it out but I would find or have made a key way thats fits the hub on one side and is as wide as the top of the gap on the other an industrial supply house would be a good place to start.Then get one of those very narrow cutting wheels that go on a drill or air driver that looks like a drewmel tool and cut a new key slot in the shaft where the old one is to fit the new key.Once done if you could tack weld it also it should hold.Additionally a super strength Locktight applied to the inside of the hub would also help but you'll have to heat the hub to get it off.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I welded those.put hub half way on. have rob tack on both sides with 6013 rod.that will hold it.half way on just to hold the key in place.

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's a lot of good info here on way's to help fix this.

First let me add a bit more information:

I allowed the JB weld to set and cure for 48 hours, last Thursday Nov. 24 it was 68 degrees out so I mixed some of the JB up according to the
instructions using a 1:1 ratio. That set for 48 hours, I used Rob's dremel and
sanded it where it needed to be ground down so the hub would fit on.

It seemed like it was going to work so I put the tire back on, which was a
chore all in itself, as it weighs 80#. Any who I got it back on and feeling
pretty good I decided to give it a go, made one trip around the lawn, stopped
and Rob jacked it up grabbing the tire he rotated it as we both watched the
hub slide a fair about on the axle before catching.

He said that he'd help with it, but I want to exhaust all my possible ways of
doing it first.
So I'm using the JB weld once more, this time mixed more like 2:1 (hardner/steel), but I can see that the wheels of figuring
this out were turning in Rob's head.

I'll try it again for a couple more times then I'll let him do what he can.

You guys are great :thThumbsU
And the advice given on this forum are second to none!!!!
By the way Migraineman that looks sweet :thThumbsU however I don't have
a lathe and wouldn't even know how to use one, have you used it since you
re-cut the keyway?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help

Merrie​
Merrie​

·
Registered
891 Posts
My snowblower is back together, and I gave it a 20-minute test run. Seems to be working fine, though we haven't had white fluffy stuff in sufficient quantities to give the repair a proper real-world test.

Try making a matched step-key from the next-size-up Woodruff key. McMaster Carr will generally have parts to you 1-2 days after ordering. $6 will get you 50 pieces. Your local hardware store or auto parts store should carry Woodruff keys in standard sizes. I used a 3/16 x 5/8 alloy key to replace my deficient stock 1/8 x 1/2 key. I did use a mill to make the step, but I could have used a file or Dremel cut-off wheel. Final fitting was done with a hand file and 220-grit on the disc sander.

If nothing else, you need to make the sides of the keyway not-tapered. The tapered shape allows the key to rock slightly, which will get worse with continued loading.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
First you probably need a new hub, It's got to fit tight on the axle.
Second J-B weld does not dry. It hardens chemically .
Third the keyway can be brazed or cold welded in place on the axle.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would have thought of welding it up and cutting a new slot on the other side(180° from the original slot) to keep the original material in contact.

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First you probably need a new hub, It's got to fit tight on the axle.
Second J-B weld does not dry. It hardens chemically .
Third the keyway can be brazed or cold welded in place on the axle.
Ok, I understand now that JB Weld does not dry it HARDENS CHEMICALLY!!!

I've put 3 different hubs on it, so don't think it's that, they all were straight
on the inside and didn't look damaged at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I've now had a couple of hours of sleep and this is where I left off:

Here you can see that I slathered the JB Weld on, the red hue was Rob's
heat lamp helping it chemically harden.

I have learned that although this stuff may be good for somethings it's just
no good for this use....

And when I walked out I found Rob working away on it. He ground all JB Weld
off from the axle, put the key in, looked at it and went and got my welder.

Here you can see that he built up the left hand side of the key way by
welding it.

And after building up the right hand side, he used his dremel and ground and
ground, and ground some more, making sure the key fit into the slot.
it still needs to be welded a bit at the sides on the bottom, as it still slides a
tad bit, only like a third of what it did, he said he can fine tune it so to speak
so that it will be tight in the slot and move vary little.

So I guess he's taking over this project, yes I'm a bit disappointed but at the
same time happy that it's getting done.
He had to stop as his back began hurting from being bent over, and he needs
more cutting discs and grinding wheels for his dremel!!!

Sorry for the crappy pictures, they were taken with my cell phone!!!

Merrie​
Merrie​

1 - 20 of 53 Posts