My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 SS12 manual trans
Alright first question for you guys. I changed the fluid in my transmission and notced upon filling it that it was coming out of the right axle seal at a steady rate. The question I have is if anyone knows a readly available part number or the dimensions so I can get new seals before I tear it back down.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Axle seals are changed from the outside, just remove the hub and pull the old seal out put the new one in. There is a metal tag on one of the trans bolts, REAR BOTTOM. Run that number at the sears parts site to get you seals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did and its on backorder according to the site. I was going to order them up from mcmaster, or see if anyone has a timken number.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I recently replaced one seal on my electric Suburban. I was pleased that Sears still carries the part. On both my 1967 Suburban and my 1972 Custom 10XL, the axle seal is #4910H, which appears to be on backorder through Sears Parts Direct. They list STD339838 as a cross, which is also backordered.

·
Registered
419 Posts
hey i knew this would help someone someday i had to buy one for mine when i restored it over the past few months and this is what worked for me a perfect fit. i got it at napa for about 8 bucks i think and its an SKF Oil seal part #9838. i hope that helps you out. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Also available at auto parts stores such as O'Reillys. I just gave them the numbers mentioned above and they worked great, cheaper too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks I was sitting down with a vernier caliper mesuring and looking at National seals dimension site and that number cross references with the seal I was thinking would work. If anyone needs it that number cross references to a National #472311

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep put the new seal in just now. Dont know if this info is sticky material but we now have good numbers for the axle seals, Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You guys should know that number does not fit the splined axles. Sears replacement part number for the Splined axles is STD339876. Take off the last 4 numbers and that should be the SKF seal 9876

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thats how I roll. I figure all the info is in the same place then. I went looking for seals today after work, all autocrats store did not have the SKF 9838. Here in town we have an Applied Industrial they are an SKF distributor among many others. They did not stock the 9838 but did have 9837. The difference, the 9838 is a double lip the 37 a single lip. For a whopping $5 I bought 2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but the info contained in this thread helped me out .
Locally, I was only able to locate one rear axle seal for my Custom 7 under the National part number. I went online and did some searching and have another part number to add here.
These can be purchased on Amazon with Prime shipping for $6 each.
The part number is TCM 101432TB-H-BX and looking at the attached photo you will see they reference both the National and SKF number on the label.
Moderators, my apologies if I shouldn’t mention a retailer .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
The national and skf have limited quantity right now at rockauto.com. when i needed 6205 bearings for a mower spindle they were the cheapest.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
38Racing...
When you need bearings, you may want to check with Fastenal. Dunno if they are north of the border, but if so, you can order non-stocked sizes, and have them drop shipped to the local store. Freight charges are very modest when you pick them up locally. I think they stuff little orders in the same boxes as their normal 'stock' shipments. They also can ship things from place to place at low(relative) cost.
tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Need Help with Axle Seal on GT18 - Don't see one!!!!

I have an old Roper 18hp B&S horizontal GT18 and I'm not seeing a seal when I slide the hub off (spline shaft.)

Parts manual shows I should be seeing a seal.

This is what I see: A very flat and shiny metal face (could be a spacer, bearing, bushing) that is recessed maybe 1/16 inches. This metal "end" OD appears to be same as the housing bore diameter but the ID is greater than the shaft ID by maybe 1/16" in diameter.

I tried scratching it to determine its hardness and it does scratch easily. So it's not a bearing.

There is no evidence of a rubber coated seal whatsoever.

THEORIES:

1) It could look like someone didn't seat the bushing fully into the housing so that there was no room for a seal (or the bushing used was too long). But I don't think a bushing would have the extremely flat and polished face.

2) The bushing isn't seated and needs to be pounded in. Again issues with this ideal.

3) There is a precision washer/seal/dust cover covering the seal. But it is definitely NOT loose fitting.

4) There are all-metal seals called labyrinth seals, however I think it is highly doubtful one is used here.

EXPERIMENTS:

1) With small diameter punch, try to drive "bushing" face further into the housing OR begin to bend up the seal (and possibly a covering washer.)

2) While a seal is typically "buchered" out, what I'm seeing looks precision and I don't want to start pounding on it with a punch, chisel, etc.

I'm really at a loss....
There is further issue with this axle: It has a LOT of end play. There is one thrust washer present but I think it would take 3 more to close up the gap - you can clearly see the axle through the gap which approaches 1/8 inches. (definitely more than 1/16")

I can move the axle axially 1/32 to 1/16 inches with the hub off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts