My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just purchased a Bolens 17HP, 42 in cut mower. It appears to be a transmatic model 660-688? The left axle is working it's way out when I did a few turns in the driveway. Is there an easy way to fix this? I saw on the parts list that the differential assembly is not broken down any. Is that one unit that cannot be repaired? Also saw it is about $175 but is no longer available. He paid $200 and it came with a snow blade. It's in really good shape, saw the year 1998 under the seat. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to put a split collar on the axle and fabricate a bent "fork" and use the mounting boltsto keep it in place. I don't think there is a tremendous amount of force moving that axle out when it turns. Think that will work? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I think that differential has snap rings on the axle ends to keep the axles from sliding out. It looks like a Dana/Foote transaxle.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. It just looks like a nightmare taking it apart to get to a snap ring. I had a 1050 Bolens until the generator/starter started squealing really bad, bad bearing i'm guessing. It is in really good shape except for that it used a bit of oil and that bearing. Even has the snowblower attachment. He would probably trade it for a decent working riding mower or tractor if any one is interested.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I'm going to put a split collar on the axle and fabricate a bent "fork" and use the mounting boltsto keep it in place. I don't think there is a tremendous amount of force moving that axle out when it turns. Think that will work? Any thoughts?

My kind of fix....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts