My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you guys have read and responded to my posts about my Breaks&Scatters #289707 12-1/2 hp vertical engine rebuild; it way over ran what I was epecting to do the job for (luckily my own labor don't cost me anything for teardown or assembly)
I got the block&crank back from the machine shop yesterday; $135.70 later:banghead3 bored 0.020, crank cut o.o20 ($55 each for those 2 labor operations) a new ex guide and reface the valves and seats;
Parts were ~$125; (I had a $295. order incl some other parts and shipping costs) so $260. to re do this engine; I think its time to find a different machine shop.

I was out splitting wood today and got a call from my kid; I had a box sittin on the porch when he got home; Cool; my parts are here.
so I get home and open the pkg; crap; the "rotary" piston and rings are made in Taiwan; I am not happy w/that. theres no brnd on the box but thats the brand the sales guy said it was; teh piston looks like a decent piece(better than the aftermarket Kohler one I sent back last year for bring a POS)
but the rings are a different story; still in cellophane in the box AND IN PIECES!!!! they sent me a piston w/busted rings!

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Bummer.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and now I see a mower like the one I am building this engine for on CL RUNNING and with the expanded-metal "bagger" for a whopping $300; I pd $100 for mine and by the time I add teh variable clutch and deck drive pullies plus whichever belt is about in two, and a battery for the elec start I will have double that in mine w/o the catcher basket which usuallt start at ~$18o by themselves.....

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Buy the one on CL and cut your losses, and you'll have spare parts! :fing32:

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I talked to them today; their "press1" press 2" etc phone menu didnt give an option for "missing/broken pieces" so I pushed 1 number got transferred to another, and told that guy the situation and right away he said he wanted to have me talk to a mgr. (without me even asking to do so) I was on hold for what seemed like "forever" before the mgr came on; after asking me questions of what my exp level was with small engines, basically whether this was "my 1st rodeo" whether this was "my" engine or whether this was for "somebody else" he said that this was "unusual"; and I have another set of rings coming; but what I am not sure of is that he is sending me "Stens" rings and I got a "Rotary: piston ***'y;
the last time I did a 318 Dodge motor I used "sealed Power" pistons; they had sent me "Hastings" rings that I guess were different for those pistons than would be for OE pistons; so hopefully the Stens rings work OK with a Rotary piston;
this mgr claimed they would; and gave me a huge deal about them "losing $$ and hoping they could get reimbursed and said something about "not having any idea" what companies had to go thru to get reimbursed on warranty claims;

to make matters worse: I found a 12.5HP Kohler yesterday, w/spin on filter "factory refurbished" on CL for $175; $75 less than I will have into this rebuild on this L head Briggs; and "ready to run"; no assembly needed...... the $75 less would definitely have been better....

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
And welcome to my world and why I buy the parts I can locally. The internet and buying online have been handy a few times but when you can look someone in the eyeball while handing them the return it just seems to be easier somehow.

Mike

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And welcome to my world and why I buy the parts I can locally. The internet and buying online have been handy a few times but when you can look someone in the eyeball while handing them the return it just seems to be easier somehow.

Mike
I usually "buy local" but when the local guy charges $15 for a set of points for a 92000 series Briggs, that's highway robbery.and being I bought from outside my home state there was no tax; the shipping was mimimal and less than tax would have been locally; among the prices being quite a bit lower than locally as well as lower than the place I dealt with online the last 2 times; so I thought I'd try the online thing w/ this build and see how it went./

1 - 7 of 7 Posts