My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you guys that have been driving these AWS platforms I would be very interested in your comments. Good or bad. I have heard these will make lawn donughts in tight turns.

Whats your real life experience and feedback from those guys that own them.
Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a X749. Absolutely love it. It is not as good as a Zero Turn, but I couldn't justify having a zero turn and a garden tractor yet. It nearly eliminates all backing up when cutting the grass around trees and sharp corners.

I really love it for getting into and out of my garage with tight spaces. Secondly I think it is great for a power broom and snow blower. Much easier to turn the extra length.:fing32:

My father has a AWS 425 with over 1000 hours on it. Not one single problem to date.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2004 X475 AWS that I bought new. It has a little over 200 hrs.
I love it, just wish I would have sprung for the diesel! Not that there is anything wrong with the 23hp Kawasaki, it has more than enough power for anything I've done with it. Just coudn't bring myself to part with all the extra $'s for the diesel!
I cut 2.5 acres with it and while it does make doughnuts around trees and any thing else you continuously go around, it's not any worse than any 2ws that I ever had.
I have not had one problem with it yet, it still has the original battery.
I also push snow with it (54" with quick hitch) and it does a fine job at that. I had to buy another set of rear rims and a set of HDAP tires to use for pushing snow (26 x 12 x 12) so I don't need chains.
It is also great for moving utility trailers and even my pontoon boat in tight quarters, with the 3 point hitch.
If I had to do it again, I would definitely buy another one! :thThumbsU

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
For all you guys that have been driving these AWS platforms I would be very interested in your comments. Good or bad. I have heard these will make lawn donughts in tight turns.

Whats your real life experience and feedback from those guys that own them.
Thanks
A John Deere equipt with AWS is absolutely the best. I will never go back. Yes, they make lawn donuts exactly like the 2WS models. I don't find it to be a big problem. I try to mow using a different pattern each week.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've got the ity-bity X304. Love it. When you add an attachment like a Johnny Bucket to the front, the effective length of the tractor gets considerable. AWS makes it much easier to maneuver. I assume it's a similar situation with a snowblower, dethatcher, or any other non-towed attachment.

About the only drawback I've encountered (aside from cost) is backing up with a cart or trailer. The hinge point is 'live' making it easier to over-adjust than a standard tractor. For me, it took a while to get accustomed to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts