My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is my first post and I have a lot of questions but my first one is regarding tires. I have a 425 with AWS and I would like to put larger HDAP tires front and rear for plowing, snow removal etc.

I am wondering how rough the tires are on the grass going around trees and such with the AWS. Will they tear up the grass significantly worse than turf tires? I will probably load them with Rim Guard as well.

Thanks

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
You'll be fine with the HDAP's IMO. When turning just slow down a little. slkpk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks guys. I noticed in that thread that the larger front HDAP tires require 10" rims. Are there any available in the stock rim diameter? If not how much are the X7 hubs and the correct rims?

I think it would look better with the HDAP's all the way around instead of turfs/v61's on the front. But I want the larger tires for ground clearance when the deck is on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my 26x12-12 HDAP tires today and had the local shop mount them for me. He ended up having to put tubes in the tires because he said he couldn't get the bead to seat. I have not filled them with fluid yet because I want to try them before and after in the snow with the blade.

I put the tires on stock 4ws rims and used the JD wheel spacers. Just FYI though, there was about 1/2" of room between the tire and the steering arms before the spacer if someone wanted to try and run without it.

I am attempting to post before and after pics:

Attachments

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
I'm not familiar with the AWS models.... Does this feature eliminate the option of mounting the wheels in wide stance?

Looks good!:fing32: I think I might get some of those for my 112 eventually.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The backspacing on the wheels for the AWS is different. They have the bolt flange nearly flush with the outside edge of the rim. I could have flipped them around but it would probably set my wheels 8" farther outboard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Urban Tractor:

Thanks!

I have not decided what I am going to do with the front. I will either put on 18" turfs or go all out and get the 10" wheels and the 18" HDAP's. It really needs some taller ones in the front though, I think it looks goofy with the rake it now has. But it shouldn't hurt anything until spring when I need to put the deck back on.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
It looks good, just remember your most likely going to have to re-level your mower deck due to the larger tires. Height settings will be off now too if the tires are taller.. :fing32:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Looks great! Ditto on the snow hogs!^^^

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are you planning on leaving them on in the summer? Those look like they would interfere with my 60" deck on the AWS 455....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am hoping I can run them with the mower deck on but I have not put the deck on yet to check. I think they should work though since there seemed to be plenty of room when I had the stock tires on. Anybody know for sure?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
It looks good. slkpk

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Urban Tractor:

Thanks!

I have not decided what I am going to do with the front. I will either put on 18" turfs or go all out and get the 10" wheels and the 18" HDAP's. It really needs some taller ones in the front though, I think it looks goofy with the rake it now has. But it shouldn't hurt anything until spring when I need to put the deck back on.
The 8" Field Trax HDAPs are probably a little taller than the turfs you have. So that might help if you want to try to avoid buying 10" wheels.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, thanks. I will keep that in mind. I could defenitly use some weight on the back with the blade on though. If I am going in reverse and let off the pedal quick, the front tires can come up a little.

Can suitcase weights be put directly on the front bumper? It looks like there is a spot to put a rod through to hold them on but I don't have one. Does anyone have a part number by chance? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Those look great! I see you have a 60" in the background, I'll be following to see how that works out with the new treads, seems as if no one has tried it yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks like they might interfere with the turning radius with the deck on. not sure though. I thought that you might have to have a part to bolt on to the front end for the weights?? I have a 05 x 495 and the bracket for weight on the front is an integral part of the frame. don't worry about tearing up grass. I leave the chains on all year and on occasion, i tear up the grass. not bad and it grows back anyway. otherwise, why are we mowing. Your unit looks mean though. I would have some chains on hand. you get enough snow build up by the blade and if you're on slippery surface, you'll spin for sure. HDAP tires or not. Good luck
Jerry in wisconsin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts