My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is with a little bit of regret that I put my LA150 on craigslist this weekend.

Next month, my family and I are moving to China for about 3 years. My "seat time" will be greatly reduced as we will be moving into an apartment! (a big change from 1.6 acres and a long driveway.)

I probably won't stay in touch with the forums too much over the next couple of years, but I promise if I see some John Deere things in China I will post about my experiences.

Also, since I will be "Deereless" when I return home, I would like it very much if someone could buy a nice, new x749 and put about 10 hours a year on it for the next 3 years. I promise to take it off your hands when I come home! :^)

I have really enjoyed all that I have learned on the forums over the past couple of years. I hope it doesn't all evaporate while I'm gone!

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
China? Boy when you travel you really travel. That should be one amazing part of your life. But leaving 1.6 acres and moving into an apartment would be a real bummer. Take a lot of pictures and post them here. I for one would love to see them. Good Luck, Have Fun, and Be Safe

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
China? Boy when you travel you really travel. That should be one amazing part of your life. But leaving 1.6 acres and moving into an apartment would be a real bummer. Take a lot of pictures and post them here. I for one would love to see them. Good Luck, Have Fun, and Be Safe
Our family has started a blog: http://beinginbeijing.wordpress.com where will try to share as much as we can about the life there. There are already a couple of pictures there of a couple of rooms in our apartment. Although missing out on the land will be a bummer, the apartment itself is actually bigger than the house we have now. It is 370 square meters (about 3700 sq ft, gross) and has 4 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms. We definitely won't be "slumming it."

John Deere actually has a presence in the same building in Beijing where I will be working. Maybe I can make some friends with someone from there. I'll have to wear my Deere hat in the building when I'm going to/from my office. (I work for Cummins so it might not go over too well in the office!)

better before, I'm hoping to be able to "trade up" when I come home. While not exactly "lucrative..." this move will be a step up for my career. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to put a gently-used x7xx (and hopefully Subaru WRX) in the garage when I come home.

I welcome all questions, and will do the best I can on picture requests!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
:ditto:

Have a safe journey to china and stay in touch with us. :goodl: :trink39:

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Best of luck, moondawg! Sounds like an interesting assignment that will be advantageous to your career. I see an X749 in your future (or, maybe by then, an X759!) :)

It would be interesting to hear your observations about chinese culture from time to time -- that is, if they don't censor your comments!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wish you and your family the best on your new venture. My son spend a little time in China setting up some automation. He enjoyed it and made some good friends.

JD used to used Cummins is some of their tractors. I don't know it they still do. I love the 5.9 in my truck.:)

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Have fun, stay safe and think green. slkpk

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
Hope you have a safe and good stay in China. Hoosier in China should be interesting. Make sure someone learns the correct way to make Moo Goo Gia Pan and Hunan Chicken while you are there. See ya when you get back! :trink40:

·
Super Moderator
39,356 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to "trade up" when I come home. While not exactly "lucrative..." this move will be a step up for my career. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to put a gently-used x7xx (and hopefully Subaru WRX) in the garage when I come home.

I welcome all questions, and will do the best I can on picture requests!

Well you could buy your x7xx new now and leave it with me, I will gently use it for the next 3 years and you can pick it up when you get home. Same thing with the Subaru WRX, I'm sure that both would be in excellent condition and I would be very happy to send you pictures of both at work till you come home to claim them. It's the least I could do for a fellow MTF member!

Congrats on the job in China! Be safe and we'll be following your adventures!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hey not all is bad atleast more time for the family, good luck and best wishes

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wish you and your family the best on your new venture. My son spend a little time in China setting up some automation. He enjoyed it and made some good friends.

JD used to used Cummins is some of their tractors. I don't know it they still do. I love the 5.9 in my truck.:)
It's true they used to use them in jd tractors. But now case is using cummins engines in their farm tractors.

Have a safe journey! I would love to see pictures about things over in China. Best wishes!

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's true they used to use them in jd tractors. But now case is using cummins engines in their farm tractors.

Have a safe journey! I would love to see pictures about things over in China. Best wishes!
We still do power some Deere equipment. For instance: THIS ONE

We had a warranty returned JD CUT behind our plant for a couple of years. I was inches away from just rolling it out the gate when someone finally took it to the crusher, I think.

Being the only independent engine manufacturer in the "free world" leads to a lot of interesting relationships with our customers... many of whom are our competitors. I'm sure the situation in China won't be any less confusing! I will definitely keep everyone posted about China. Thanks for all the nice responses!

Ryan

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for the information about cummins in jd. Learn something new everyday hey? Well I am a big fan of cummins, the 24 valve in my truck is a beast and has never let me down. :thThumbsU:thThumbsU

Once again best wishes!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Ryan,

You will be missed!!! I wish you and your family all the Very Best on what should be a wonderful time in your lives. Keep your eyes open,learn everything you can and please pop in and share if you find time. If nothing else just to say hi. Have a safe and grand time over there.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,542 Posts
Good luck in China with the new job! I'm sure the perfect X7xx will be waiting for you somewhere when you return! :greendr:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am a native Hoosier who left after graduating from college. My job eventually took me to France for two months and I was offered a two year option to stay but we had just bought a house and it didn't make sense.

I get back to Indiana a couple times a year and I miss it. Sometimes I think it would have been best to stay but I had a lot of adventure by leaving.

There were always be a rural homestead of several acres, a reasonably priced house, and a long driveway for you when you return. And hopefully the JD tractor of your dreams in the barn out back.

Enjoy China. See the world while you are young.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts