My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A common topic on the forum is adding weight to tractors and the benefits that come with it. Because of the popularity of tractor weight on this forum, it really makes me wonder why I am unable to walk into any store in my area and buy wheel weights or suit case weights for my garden tractor off the shelf?

Within 30-45 miles of my house I have Sears(4), Home Depot(3), Lowes(4), Tractor Supply(1), Farm & Fleet(3), Farm King(2), and Theisens(1). Not a one of these stores stocks garden tractor weight at any time other than winter. I'd say half of them never stock wheel weights.

It just really makes me wonder why stores that sell lawn/garden tractors don't stock weight for them year round (or ever) when many users consider wheel weights to be necessary equipment?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Maybe they all think that winter is the only time that a little extra weight is needed.
I was surprised that my local Lowes had several boxes of different size chains still sitting on the shelf, not hidden away under the flower bulbs.
The sales person wouldn't know a 'suit case' from a 'wheel weight', but they did have a couple complete sets sitting on the floor.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not enough shelf space. Square footage needs to have profit. Not enough volume in sales to make it worth while. You can order them on line. I seldom go to the store. I buy what I need on line and have it delivered or pick it up in the store. Everything in the world is on line. Your problem is only a finger away.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not enough shelf space. Square footage needs to have profit. Not enough volume in sales to make it worth while. You can order them on line. I seldom go to the store. I buy what I need on line and have it delivered or pick it up in the store. Everything in the world is on line. Your problem is only a finger away.
That's exactly it. Working for Lowes, people come in looking for very specific repair parts that only fit one specific model tractor I sell I get IRATE when they learn I don't keep it on the shelf. Box stores are in business to make money, we aren't going to let 4 cases of a particular product sit on the shelf and collect dust so that those 2 or 3 people each year that need them can buy them. If it's not in stock, usually it can be ordered. But exactly like he said, shelf space HAS to be taken up by product that will SELL. That's why product that isn't going to be carried anymore gets marked down to closeout/clearance prices. The faster the store gets rid of it the faster they increase the space to put product in its place that will sell.

I don't know much about wheel weights as I've never used them but I'm assuming you can't just use any old wheel weight on any tractor. And that's the other reason, the more different kinds you have to carry of a particular product to have one for every mower, the more shelf space you have to devote.

The sales person wouldn't know a 'suit case' from a 'wheel weight', but they did have a couple complete sets sitting on the floor.
nice stereotype. I happen to work for a box store, and DO know the difference. As does everyone else I work with in my department.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Today, my local Lowes guy said they didn't have suit cases. I would have to go to JC Penny to get them. Well, he now knows what a 'suit case' weight looks like.

Space is money, you're correct. Visited the local NAPA store for a small engine fuel filter. Off the shelf comes this humongous 3 inch filter, with 3/4 inch pipe thread inlet. Ahh, abit too big. Well, the correct filters will be here tomorrow morning about 7:30.

The big filter did have a good price though. Don't know what it went to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly it. Working for Lowes, people come in looking for very specific repair parts that only fit one specific model tractor I sell I get IRATE when they learn I don't keep it on the shelf. Box stores are in business to make money, we aren't going to let 4 cases of a particular product sit on the shelf and collect dust so that those 2 or 3 people each year that need them can buy them. If it's not in stock, usually it can be ordered. But exactly like he said, shelf space HAS to be taken up by product that will SELL. That's why product that isn't going to be carried anymore gets marked down to closeout/clearance prices. The faster the store gets rid of it the faster they increase the space to put product in its place that will sell.

I don't know much about wheel weights as I've never used them but I'm assuming you can't just use any old wheel weight on any tractor. And that's the other reason, the more different kinds you have to carry of a particular product to have one for every mower, the more shelf space you have to devote.

nice stereotype. I happen to work for a box store, and DO know the difference. As does everyone else I work with in my department.
There are two sizes of wheel weights sold by MTD (rebadged by Sears and others) that will fit just about every lawn/garden tractor sold at a big box store. The big one fits garden tractors and the small one fits lawn tractors. I'm not trying to over simplify the fitup chart, but that's really all there is to it. Since they really aren't a special fit product, a store would only have to keep 1 set of each size on hand. That's not much space at all.

One of my local Lowe's currently has suitcase weights at the top of their storage racks. They were on display all winter, but they moved them into storage to make space on the shelf for more oil. Not different oil, just more of the same that they already stock at the top of storage racks. Basically, they just moved something off the sales floor to make more room for something that was already available. Doesn't make much sense, especially as most of it was covered with dust.

The reason I got thinking about this is that I needed a little extra traction using my Johnny Bucket one day, and I would have bought an additional wheel weight that day if I could have taken it home and used it. Later that day I got on here and read a few posts asking about ways to improve traction. Ordering products on-line is fine, but it would be nice if some things as useful as tractor weight was readily available.

I guess my original question was somewhat rhetorical as I really wasn't looking for a standard business answer. It just seems really odd to me that stores that sell lawn/garden tractors don't carry and promote the use of tractor weight. The benefits are undeniable even when just mowing a yard with moderate inclines.

I understand stores are in business to make money. When stores sell tractors they try to get customers to purchase accessories to make the tractors more useful. Wheel weights are useful, relatively inexpensive, and they make many other accessories suchs as dozer blades, plows, snowblowers, and carts work better. Why not promote something so useful and make it available to customers???

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I understand stores are in business to make money. When stores sell tractors they try to get customers to purchase accessories to make the tractors more useful. Wheel weights are useful, relatively inexpensive, and they make many other accessories suchs as dozer blades, plows, snowblowers, and carts work better. Why not promote something so useful and make it available to customers???

Because 90% of the morons I sell tractors to at work don't know what a wheel weight is, so many idiots come in and simply say "I want the cheapest tractor ya got" and assume it's still going to last them 15 years. They cannot be convinced the quality of expensive Tractor B is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the quality of cheap piece of crap Tractor A. Even if wheel weights were relatively universal, not enough people would purchase them. I can count on one hand the amount of people that have ever asked me about them.

While I work for a box store, I would agree with most people here, it's stupid, but here it is:

Dealerships sell the accessories that make the tractor more useful.

Box stores sell the accessories that make the average idiot oooo and ahhh. Such as cute little sun canopies and fancy seat covers.

·
Registered
758 Posts
At least you got a correct "out of stock" I ordered my DGS6500 online with weights and box blade last year (because they were on sale. I waited for the sleve hitch and chains) when I arrived to pickup my tractor, they had the tractor and box blade, but no weights.
Since the computer said they had the weights, they were not ordered. They had to "return" then reorder them and I had to make another trip in.

I know us "real tractor users" would love to receive more marketing / product availability, but they must not think there are enough of us to make it worthwhile. (Last year, before ordering, I went in-store and asked about the garden tractors. The sales guy said they (and the other stores in the area) never received one for display. I did notice, later that fall, that they did have on in store. Wonder if my order triggered something in the computer?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
nice stereotype. I happen to work for a box store said:
So if go into Lowes and ask anyone in the garden dept about weights for a lawn tractor, they will respond with "wheel weights or suit case weights, sir?" ? :sidelaugh

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are two sizes of wheel weights sold by MTD (rebadged by Sears and others) that will fit just about every lawn/garden tractor sold at a big box store. The big one fits garden tractors and the small one fits lawn tractors. I'm not trying to over simplify the fitup chart, but that's really all there is to it. Since they really aren't a special fit product, a store would only have to keep 1 set of each size on hand. That's not much space at all.

One of my local Lowe's currently has suitcase weights at the top of their storage racks. They were on display all winter, but they moved them into storage to make space on the shelf for more oil. Not different oil, just more of the same that they already stock at the top of storage racks. Basically, they just moved something off the sales floor to make more room for something that was already available. Doesn't make much sense, especially as most of it was covered with dust.

The reason I got thinking about this is that I needed a little extra traction using my Johnny Bucket one day, and I would have bought an additional wheel weight that day if I could have taken it home and used it. Later that day I got on here and read a few posts asking about ways to improve traction. Ordering products on-line is fine, but it would be nice if some things as useful as tractor weight was readily available.

I guess my original question was somewhat rhetorical as I really wasn't looking for a standard business answer. It just seems really odd to me that stores that sell lawn/garden tractors don't carry and promote the use of tractor weight. The benefits are undeniable even when just mowing a yard with moderate inclines.

Some times a manager of a store will order too much of a slow item. Then they might have shipped to much to that location. A good manager will not let dust stay on the pallets. He would ship it off to another store or blow it out on sale. It happens all the time. You made my point. Sears has them and you can sit here on line and order them and have them on your door step without getting out of your chair. Why worry about who has them in this day and age. My architecural office is at home. Time is money. I can make much more money sitting at my drafting table for 5 minuets than it cost to ship the weights. If you need to travel 45 miles one way to the Sears store to pick them up you might as well have them shipped. You got to admit that tractor weights are very low on the demand list. I would not carry them If I had a repair shop. I would make the customer order them.
If I were a tractor dealer I would have some in stock.
You just got to love the internet. The entire world is at your fingers. I never go to the supply store for drafting supplies. I order what I need on line and have it shipped. In most cases I get a much better price.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Because 90% of the morons I sell tractors to at work don't know what a wheel weight is, so many idiots come in and simply say "I want the cheapest tractor ya got" and assume it's still going to last them 15 years. They cannot be convinced the quality of expensive Tractor B is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the quality of cheap piece of crap Tractor A. Even if wheel weights were relatively universal, not enough people would purchase them. I can count on one hand the amount of people that have ever asked me about them.

While I work for a box store, I would agree with most people here, it's stupid, but here it is:

Dealerships sell the accessories that make the tractor more useful.

Box stores sell the accessories that make the average idiot oooo and ahhh. Such as cute little sun canopies and fancy seat covers.
To use bad grammer. Aint that the truth.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,460 Posts
Because that might be covienient,and make sense!..BUT--it'll lose them money,if that part sits there unsold for too long too..personally,I see no sense in a store "reducing inventory" to "save money",then have to "special order it" and have it shipped BACK there again,when someone DOES want said item..wouldn't it have been cheaper to let it collect dust in the stockroom?..I concour..

As for the "Clueless Employee" sterotype,ya,some ARE pretty lame,when it comes to knowledge of what they are selling nowadays--or maybe they feel because they dont get a high pay,the less work they have to do,the better--why offer to "go look out back" when its much easier to say "Oh,I dont thinkwe stock that"..
..but there are still some folks that take pride in knowing their bussiness and do have a lot of experience and aren't afraid to go the extra mile for a customer,even when there aint nothing in it for them,as fas as a bonus or extra pay,for the extra effort they put out..cant lump everyone together,and paint them all with the same brush..

I worked auto parts counters for over 20 years..a job that demands a lot of knowledge,but gets very little respect from customers..I would often get the blame if a part didn't fit,when in fact it was the wrong info given by the customer that was the problem..so many times I would sell a part for a small block chevy,like a fuel or water pump,and the customer would return with a greasy box,the part had been bolted on and a gasket glued on it,and THEN discovered it was "wrong"--and they would lambaste ME,saying I sold them the wrong part..and they went to another store,got the "right" part,and now demanded a refund,which I could not give them,cause now the part is "used",and my boss's policy was "no installed parts will be given full credit unless defective,and no cash refunds,store credit only"..I had my life threatened many times,over a stupid car part,due to that policy..

The reason they got the "right" part elsewhere,was due to the fact they brought the old on with them--had they done that at the store I was working at,I could have cross referenced a casting number,or simply matched up the part too,just like the other store did!..many times I had to go out in the parking lot and "de-code" a Chevy V8,and PROVE to the customer his "4 bolt main 350" that was supposedly "original", had been replaced by a lowly 305 later model engine somewhere along the line,that used to be a 2 bbl,until who ever swapped it in bolted all the "hot rod" intake and valve covers on it!..they didn't like that,but I got tired of being called imcompetent ,when it was no fault of my own most of the time ..(I'm human though,and if I did screw up,I'd admit my mistake and apologize!)..

I attended a concert a few years ago,and some folks I knew from other shows were talking..one stranger was relating a story about his car breaking down on the way to a hotel the day before,and how he had to take a taxi to the parts store THREE times,before he got the right part,because the "counter chimp" at the parts store "didn't know what he was doing"..

I then piped up,and said "did you bring the OLD part WITH you"?...
"why NO,what difference would that have made"?..
"All the difference in the world!--they could have matched it up"...he then became suspicious,and said "sounds like you've been through the same thing too,huh?..do you know a lot about cars?..."yeah,I guess so"...what do you do for work?"...

I answered "Oh,I'm just a "COUNTER-CHIMP" at an auto parts store!..
The look on his face was priceless!..he turned kinda red,and said "gee,ook at the time,the show will be starting soon--gotta go!"..and slinked off..I love it when I give someone a case of foot in mouth disease!..:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a salesperson isn't it your job to educate customers on the products they are purchasing? "Sir, I noticed you are buying a tractor and a grader blade. I would recommend that you buy a set of wheel weights to avoid traction issues. The wheel weights will greatly improve your ownership experience. We don't currently stock them, but we can order them for you." Even if the customer doesn't buy the wheel weights, the customer will have the seed planted in their mind when the traction issues do come up. If the wheel weights are in the store, that only increases the chances they will sell.

Take a look around any big box store and tell me you can't find wasted or empty space where a set of wheel weights can sit. Customer education and product availability equals sales.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,460 Posts
I'll add when I go to the Lowe's near me,and find things I had bought there fairly often,like the plastic drive gears for a Briggs starter and things like points and condensors,had been marked as "clearance" and sold off ay a fraction of the original price,and was to never be stocked again (and even "special ordered" they might be no longer available,even),that sours me from going there to buy anything..seems like every time I go,something else is "gone" ,or about to be..not just there either,ALL stores seem to be sending stuff back in large amounts,that isn't a hot moving item.but are still desired by many people..(I saw Walmart was filling carts with FRAM gas filters and PVC valves last time I went,they wont be carrying them anymore--they were 5 bucks cheaper there than Autozone)..

Sure,the parts I go looking for often fit older tractors and mowers ,that they dont sell there--but MANY people still HAVE those older machines,and now I find many commonly needed things they need often ,like air filters,BELTS and BLADES are being sold off cheap and then wont be stocked any longer too..to me,thats like flipping the bird to anyone too "poor" to have a new tractor they DO stock parts for..

Maybe they think that'll help prompt them to buy a new one,since parts are now "scarce" for their older,but still perfectly useable tractor?..but how many can afford to ditch a still useful machine,just because parts are getting "harder to get"(not in reality,only hard to get THERE!)..

I'd think they would sell enough of the parts for tractors 10 years or older still,to make it worth their while to stock the items..
...things that irk me,is driving 10 miles to buy an stupid inner tube,when I have 10 stores within a mile or two that COULD stock them,but all they DO have is those "slimed" wheelbarrow tubes and a few tractor sized ones,that cost at least double what a usual tube does,almost as much as a tire would cost..instead,they stock complete tire/rim assemblies for 35-50 bucks,and hope folks will have the cash to buy that instead of a tube...--I dont!..but since many yuppies here have the cash to buy the whole shebang,and couldn't put a tube in a tire if their lives depended on it,I guess guys like me lose..nothing I hate more,than going to 10 stores,and ALL o them sell the same crap,and never what I want!..I end up going to the farm supply or a old fashioned hardware store miles away,and pray THEY still have what I need..seems like even when you have the money,you cant find what you need anynmore around here..

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
The nicest feeling I had this past weekend was fixing a flat tire on the neighbors bicycle, errr, tractor. He couldn't keep air in it. Pulled the tire half off, pulled out the tube. Aired it up, found the hole, pasted a patch, inserted tube, re-mounted tire. All in about 15 minutes.
"I didn't know there was a tube in that", he said..."you can 'patch' that thing in there?"
His eyes buggered out when I pulled the hand air pump out of the car's back seat. Several pumps, 10 pounds, all set.
He has no reason now NOT to finish mowing his lawn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts