My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used automotive plug wires on and Onan twin? I need some new wires, and was wondering if anyone has succesfully used automotive plug wires. I tried once with nice spiro core MSD wires, and it didn't seem to work although the guy i traded my mid mount to had an SS16 with auto plug wires on it. His ran fine. He also had 2 condensers on his coil too- one on the points, and one right on the neg side of the coil. He said it helps... I am not sure why..

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I ended up biting the bullet and bought the expensive Onan brand coil($80) instead of running two. I had a little bit of money to burn at the time and I was impatient. You can still pick up Onan wires on the cheap. I thought they looked nice since the boots say "Onan" on them. I think I got them from Sears, but I can check. That probably doesn't help any! I'm sure someone will chime in

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have them in my ss16 in my signature and it runs fine with them. I had to cut off one of the caps thought. If you have your old wires you should be able to put the caps off of them on. If not the ones on mine still don't usually pull out.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm using them in my 446 with an Onan. The OEM ones for my engine have an uncommon end on them as far as shape goes so I took it to my local NAPA and he sold me the closest thing he had.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Ya we use automotive wires.... not a problem.....i even use car/truck plugs....I had a set of Bosch Platinum 4 plugs in my SS16 for a while!! it ran GREAT!!! then my turbo heater plug died and I used the platnum 4 plug to fix it(haha yes I rigged it u could say but it works better now then before!! and it was cheaper!) dual condensors do help, if u have one breaking down or just die the second one takes over, pullers do it....

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool! I guess I got some stuff to try this weekend :)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,570 Posts
I prefer "real" wires with a true conductor inside ,usually stainless steel or copper..but you have to buy "universal" make it yourself kits or find a place willing to order you a spool of the real plug wires like they used back in the day...I had a 30' spool of nice stuff that had transparent red insulation and stainless conductor,but used it all over the years..found it at an auto parts swap meet,it was "Packard" cable and dated 1947 on the spool it was on!..

I haven't tried using carbon core car type wires,but I suppose they will work,though they might reduce the spark some due to being resistor wires?..

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Most of my onans have that carbon core wires factory...the only ones that dont are still running the factory wires that came on them from sears...The newer ones I got that say onan on the boots are the carbon core.... If you look on some of the tractor pulling websites you can find i think its accel wires that are a "universal" fit for a K series single kohler and just order 2 and thats pretty close......or buy a make it fit kit.... theirs even one place a guy sells the kit to put dual coils on the Onans and KT kohlers!!! ive wanted to try that for a LONG time!!! but my stock stuff works to good...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts