My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.2 ,,4 cylinder with a plugged or air pocket in the heater core.

Can I undo one of the lines and push some air in there? If it's a air pocket it's a tough one to get out. Been running it like this for quit some time. I think it is plugged.
I have no heat,,but thermostat is working and not low on fluid.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to ask,,,how much air pressure can I apply to it???

Was going to try it,,,and then add fluid to that hose/fitting before I put it back together.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'd be real careful with air pressure. The radiator caps are rated around 17 pounds max. I had the same problem with not getting heat, even though it was all full and hot. I left the cap loose. Drove it for a while and the air burped it's way out. All is well now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Another thing you can try is to locate a hose or connection that is at the highest point and crack it loose when running to try and "burp" out some air. There is also a relatively simple tool that you hook to the rad and use shop air to put the system under vacuum and then draw in the coolant to fill. Maybe the local auto parts store or a mechanic friend could loan it to you to use. I have used one on cars that have the top of the engine slightly higher than the rad and are prone to air locks when filling. You could also make a rubber stopper/adapter for the rad neck and use a hand vacuum pump on it when the vehicle is running. Hope this helps.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Are you sure it's the heater core? As soon as you said 2.2 Four Cylinder my siren went off.. If it's a Mopar 2.2 it could be a head gasket.. (which causes the car not to blow any heat) been there numerous times.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The water circulates thru the heater core--driven by the water pump. One hose supplies water to the core, the other carries water away. There should be no air pocket at the heater core unless the level of coolant is low. You might get a pocket in the head, but in the heater core it is very unlikely

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put a head gasket on it, a new thermostat and water pump.

It has not been right since. The temp gauge goes up to about thermostat range ,,,then opens ,,goes way down . Sometimes it will stay there for a long time,,down low ,,others it will keep going up to thermostat temps,,,then low,,quickly. No heat, or very little.

I was thinking a air pocket,,but maybe I have a bad thermostat. Even though it is new.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I take both of the lines off and use a garden hose and flush it out.... if you get good water flo then it is not plugged.. I do this about every 2 years on my car and i get a lot of stuff out..

·
Registered
859 Posts
I do the same thing as joe. Only I use compressed air to blow the water and gunk out.

Than do what Mrcaptainbob said. Works every time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just put a head gasket on it, a new thermostat and water pump.

It has not been right since. The temp gauge goes up to about thermostat range ,,,then opens ,,goes way down . Sometimes it will stay there for a long time,,down low ,,others it will keep going up to thermostat temps,,,then low,,quickly. No heat, or very little.

I was thinking a air pocket,,but maybe I have a bad thermostat. Even though it is new.
I have 6 turbo-mopars. You have to bleed the head. There is a plug at the thermostat housing on most of them. Open the plug a little if you are lucky and let the air out. Or take the time to drill a 1/32" hole in the thermostat to let the air pass out of the head to the rad. Several warm up/cool down cycles with get the air out of the head.

Check out Turbo-Mopar.com. I'm the Looneytuner there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Or raise the front end on ramps or a steep hill, let it run with the rad cap off, adding coolant as necessary. You've got to make the radiator the high point in the system. And the hole in the thermostat (placed at the 12:00 position) will help also. Sometimes that bleeder plug can be a bear to get out.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been ,,very sick for the last 2 days. Just now getting back around.

I had no idea this has a bleed off. I have had problem with it for years,,but lately is the worst.

If I feel up to it tomorrow I will give it a try.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I removed heater core hoses and flushed it out with the garden hose. That is not the problem but its now eliminated as a one.

I also replaced thermostat with a new one. It seems to be working. As the temp comes up to its range and I can tell it opens. Seems to be flowing as it should.

I jacked the truck up as high as I could and let it run with cap off.Just before the thermostat opens I can see the pressure in the radiator,,,fluid is rising,,,bubbles over ,,then it opens ,,and fluid goes down. I do believe I added a little of anti-freeze this way. Not sure.
Because as it bubbles over,,allot ends up on the ground. So I started putting my hand over it as it was rising.To save the fluid,,,I think this will still allow air to get by my hand.
Anyhow,,,I did this several times,,,til I went through a gallon. Like I said,,some is hitting the ground ,,so I don't know what is added.

Its' still not blowing heat like it should. I have a little heat now though,,very little.

I really thought bad thermostat or the heater core could be plugged,,,but now I don't have a clue. It seems to be flowing as it should,,but little heat.

Any suggestions now??? There could still be a air pocket,,,but I hate to let fluid just run onto floor. Should I let it go that way and not put my hand over opening?? Maybe my hand is not letting air escape.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I removed heater core hoses and flushed it out with the garden hose. That is not the problem but its now eliminated as a one.

I also replaced thermostat with a new one. It seems to be working. As the temp comes up to its range and I can tell it opens. Seems to be flowing as it should.

I jacked the truck up as high as I could and let it run with cap off.Just before the thermostat opens I can see the pressure in the radiator,,,fluid is rising,,,bubbles over ,,then it opens ,,and fluid goes down. I do believe I added a little of anti-freeze this way. Not sure.
Because as it bubbles over,,allot ends up on the ground. So I started putting my hand over it as it was rising.To save the fluid,,,I think this will still allow air to get by my hand.
Anyhow,,,I did this several times,,,til I went through a gallon. Like I said,,some is hitting the ground ,,so I don't know what is added.

Its' still not blowing heat like it should. I have a little heat now though,,very little.

I really thought bad thermostat or the heater core could be plugged,,,but now I don't have a clue. It seems to be flowing as it should,,but little heat.

Any suggestions now??? There could still be a air pocket,,,but I hate to let fluid just run onto floor. Should I let it go that way and not put my hand over opening?? Maybe my hand is not letting air escape.
Most heater cores have inlet and outlet on the same side, jsut cause antifreeze is circulating, doesnt mean its going thru the passages in the core.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A few dumb diagnostic questions- Is the thermostat installed correctly, and is the water pump new, rebuilt or been on there forever? What caused the head gasket to go?
As far as a hole in the thermostat, I try to buy ones that have the little bleeder fitting on them, but if that's not available, I drill a 1/8" hole as close to the rim as I can, and put that at the top. Doing that, I've never had an air bubble problem.
Also, the cores that have the inlet and outlet on the same side have a divider in the header tank so all the fluid flows through the tubes and can't just bypass. Otherwise, you'd never have heat.

·
Administrator
12,573 Posts
Having had alot of trouble with a heater core with one vehicle I can offer a suggestion. Did you or the repair that did the Head Gaket job make sure to keep scraped shards of gasket material out of the engine block cooling passages? I had little to no heat out the vents and, at another shops direction, I "Reverse" flushed the core with a garden hose and forced a load of junk out of the inlert to the core. The way they are made today very little junk can flow through them with such small passages. Good Luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
well i have cut some open before, and although there were baffle type things in the header tank, it wasnt sealed, the whole core could have been plugged and "some" coolant could still by pass.
Wonder if the op felt hoses in and out to see if both were close to same temp when hot?
I would have shown a pic of the one i had here with the tank cut off but it went in last load of scrap.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Original complaint is no heat, right?
This may not be a warm water flow issue at all. It could be a stuck door in the heater/air handling box that isn't diverting air through the heater core. It could also be a bad vacuum line or control cable from the hvac controls to the heater box.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A few dumb diagnostic questions- Is the thermostat installed correctly, and is the water pump new, rebuilt or been on there forever? What caused the head gasket to go?
As far as a hole in the thermostat, I try to buy ones that have the little bleeder fitting on them, but if that's not available, I drill a 1/8" hole as close to the rim as I can, and put that at the top. Doing that, I've never had an air bubble problem.
Also, the cores that have the inlet and outlet on the same side have a divider in the header tank so all the fluid flows through the tubes and can't just bypass. Otherwise, you'd never have heat.
Thermostat is installed correct,,,and have now tried 2 of them new,,plus the old one. Brand new water pump,,belt is on correctly also.. No idea what caused the head gasket problem. Heater core has 2 lines ,,separated on firewall.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since the last post,,I have removed heater core lines again and pushed water through with the garden hose,, also removed the inlet line completely and flushed it out.
I also removed the thermostat completely and drove it around for a day. There is no air pocket in this anymore.If there ever was. The water flows correctly,,but it did not get hot this way to blow any heat.

When I put the thermostat back in,,it wants to overheat,,or run higher than thermostat,,, before it opens,,but still no heat.

If I let my truck sit in driveway and run,,I can feel the slightest heat coming out and every now and then ,,it will blow hot,,,but never when moving.

Makes zero sense,,,I am confused and don't know what to do to fix it!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts