21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts

·
Lawn Boy
1,534 Posts
OK, I've got a sort of stupid question.

I watched the video and yes, that thing does sound like a little airplane.

Part of me is wondering where the NEED for that much power in a push mower came from, but maybe it's to appeal to the "bigger is better" crowd I guess.

One thing I'm wondering though, since it has 2 cylinders and that much more power, wouldn't the running speed be considerably lower?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No not really they still rev just as hard as a single cylinder.I guess the real reason behind these mowers is.In the early 70's Victa came up with the high arch mowers.Such as the VC-125cc and VC-160cc (which I haven't talked about yet.I will at some point)as well as the Twin Cylinder mowers which are 170cc.The idea was that you could still mow the grass even if it was wet.It was sort of successful.I just don't know if they sold more mowers due to this.Although it was only 10cc more,I sure that they had more torque,how much more I don't know.The funny thing with these twin cylinders are is that both cylinders would fire at the exact same time. Basically giving it more power and torque on the one cycle.So with the added power and torque it defiantly gave it the edge above other mowers at the time to cut and catch grass when it was wet.It was much more successful at that than the other mowers with the high arch base.

·
Administrator
20,937 Posts
I'd love to have a couple of those engines to play with. Very interesting.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Anyone from Canada want to ship one of these gems to an 'Merican :praying:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm not sure you would find one there.They were out here in Australia,I'm just trying to find out if the engine was made in Canada?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
OMG I got another LawnBoy
1,178 Posts
I WANT IT NOW!!! OMG that is cool!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Best place to get one is on ebay.com.au and export it over there.In-fact I have a friend selling one right now.

·
OMG I got another LawnBoy
1,178 Posts
Best place to get one is on ebay.com.au and export it over there.In-fact I have a friend selling one right now.
Tried to find it, couldn't. I wonder how much freight would be from Down Under...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just wanted to show you all the different models of the Twins that I have collected and the models releases by Victa.
The first orange one was the first made.The second orange one were released soon after.The difference is the second one had the updated engine.Some of the first release when sent back to Victa for service were fitted with the updated engine.At no cost to the owner as there were problems with the rear cylinder.
The third release was the Green Supreme and finally the last model was the Gold Supreme.During the run of all models there was three different release of the engine.The final one of which the Gold Supreme had featured a flat top piston in the front cylinder and a dome piston in the back.It was domed so the compression was higher thus helping with the firing issue in the rear cylinder.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Nice to see what is out their in other parts of the world. The only twin 2 cycle engines that I can remember here was early Power Products and Maytag. I know that Massport used a OMC engine like Lawn-Boy but not familiar with other engines. We now have Massport mowers being sold in the states with Briggs & Stratton engines.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'd like to see some of those twin cylinders.I wonder if they would look similar.Massport is a New Zealand mower company and I believe they are still made in New Zealand.

·
powerclocks
1 Posts
Nice Group of Mowers that you have there, I have the Orange and the Gold models.

I will be scouting around for a Green Model to complete the set next year, none of them work but that is the challenge, as soon as I am suitably intoxicated I might just leap in where many before have trod and see if I can get the finicky little guys to run.

I have a donor machine and a spare motor I acquired before deciding to tackle this project, the Gold I am told is the hard one to find and whilst I have it, there are two bars missing from the plastic grille, I have a brand new donor grille/shroud but it is raw black plastic whereas the Brown one appears to be solid brown plastic and not painted.

I can just paint the black one and keep the original for a future collector to either fix or put back for originality sake?
I have repaired a few old Victas but these will be the first twins.

I was looking at Fleabay and saw CDI Kits for twin Cylinder model aircraft engines and was wondering if they could be adapted to one of these mowers, the CDI pack would be concealed and you could use original leads and caps so no one would ever know the old system was missing? Just a thought, they were around $70.00.

Any way if there are still people active on this thread contact me if you want to follow the transition from non working lumps to useful and collectible lawn cutters.
Graeme Power

21 - 38 of 38 Posts