My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all due to questions being asked I have decided to show you some picture of the Victa 170cc 500 Twin cylinder mower.Sold in Australia the theory is it was Candain build and exported to Australia,but I would like to research this and see if it is true.Here are some pictures of the motor.I will add some more of the mower shortly.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That is an interesting mower for sure. I don't recall having seen anything like it before.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is different.I just want to see if the theory is true.I'm finding it hard to believe.However I could be wrong.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Quite interesting. Maybe one of our Canadian auction hunters will chime in- TeamGreen comes to mind.

Sure is cool though- a twin on a walk behind, I was imagining something quite different.

M

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,540 Posts
Yes it is different.I just want to see if the theory is true.I'm finding it hard to believe.However I could be wrong.
Does this explain your theory ??

Manufactured 1975

2 models were made, The first model was the 500Twin and then the Supreme shortly after.
All alloy 2 Stroke, 2 cylinder 170cc Imported from Canada.
Big brother of the Victa Lightweight single cylinder 85cc launched a short time later.
The Supreme was released after the 500 and had some slight modifications done to the engine,
which included a domed rear piston to increase compression due to a weaker spark, a common fault with the coil.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Fairly radical design for a two cycle lawnmower....They don't make'm like that anymore...thats for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Ken N Tx.Did you get that from vintagemower.net? That is an Australian site,and I'm not sure that it is 100% accurate. That was why I was hoping that somebody else in the world except from here knew about them.You see what I can't understand is Victa was an Australian company making mowers for here.Why would they go to the trouble of exporting mowers and adding to the price?

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,540 Posts
Hi Ken N Tx.Did you get that from vintagemower.net? That is an Australian site,and I'm not sure that it is 100% accurate. That was why I was hoping that somebody else in the world except from here knew about them.You see what I can't understand is Victa was an Australian company making mowers for here.Why would they go to the trouble of exporting mowers and adding to the price?
I got the info from>>http://www.vintagemowers.net/Victa_Twin.php

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that's the one here from Australia.I'm just doing my own personal research. If it turns out to be correct that is what the story was.Then the Lightweight and compact mowers would have come from the same manufacture.As the engines for those are exactly half of the twins engine,85cc.Just with an alloy cap over the back of the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I don't mean to offend by saying this, but a lot of things in Australia that look kinda American, just look messed up.

That mower looks...weird. And take Australian versions of American cars? I mean, Australian muscle cars look...familiar, but strange.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'm wondering if that isn't a Rotax engine. Made in Austria (at least many were). Parent company is Bomdardier last I knew.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
I trust you have looked here....

http://www.victa.com.au/index.cfm

: .
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve got a question you’d like an answer to, there’s a good chance you’ll find it here. Click on the drop-down box to display all frequently asked questions under the category that relates to your enquiry.

Are Victa mowers still made in Australia? Answer : Yes! Virtually all Victa mowers are assembled at Victa's factory in Moorebank NSW, from components sourced mostly from local businesses. The 2-stroke Victa engines are made in Australia, while the 4-stroke Briggs & Stratton, Tecumseh and Honda engines are manufactured at their various international facilities. All internationally sourced components and finished goods are designed, manufactured and tested to ensure compliance with Victa's rigorous quality and safety standards.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts