Do you have any children?
Yes, 3, Cassie - 25, Tim & Chris - 22

Do you have any grandchildren?
None that I know of. 

What do you do to earn a living?

Plumbing/Fire Protection designer – commercial/industrial buildings

How old are you?

Military service?

No, I was after Vietnam & before the Gulf War. I am grateful to those that serve/served as we would not be able to do what we do without them.

How did you come to join MTF?
Looking for information on some tractors I had at the time, Ford LGT-165 and Case VAC w/FEL

What are your favorite MTF forums and why?
I like all of them, but mainly the Lawn & Garden Tractor forums cause my ’72 110 & ’69 112H, CUT forum cause my L2550, Cars & Trucks, Caption of the day.

What do you like most about MTF?
It has always been a great place for info & help if needed and people don’t get on your case just because you misspelled, put wrong info or didn’t do something a certain way.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:

1972 John Deere 110 GT, currently has tranny issues, w/ 43 blade, 37A blower, garden cart.

jd110.jpg

1969 JD 112H – bought as project & still sitting waiting for me.
1966 WH Lawn Ranger – another project in the works. My Uncle had bought it brand new and it got handed down thru the family.
1985/86 Kubota L2550 Cut w/ FEL, York rake, BushHog TM6 finish mower, weight box( fabricated by Tim)
l2550.jpg
Push mower, weed wackers and other usual stuff to maintain house & 3 acres.
My son, Tim, has caught the bug also. He’s got a CC zero turn that he earns money with, Cushman Frontline gotten from neighbor in exchange for work he did, and Gravely 8100 series with PTO issues.

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why?

The 110, because it is sturdy, has served us well and very easy to work on even though it's down right now. Although, the L2550 has earned its keep the 2 years I’ve had it and is growing in reliability.
l2550jd110.jpg

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?

Yes. A JD 140 H3 and a JD 4020 narrow front (you’ll know why in a bit) even though all I could do with it is drive it around.

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for?

The 110 has done everything we asked of it. Mowed almost 3 acres ever since I bought it, plowed & blown snow, hauled brush, dirt, wood.
The L2550 has loaded & spread Item 4 for base of box storage shed, backfilled, hauled wood, stones, broken concrete, helped out with snow duty when we got 2’+ storms, bush hogged neighbors overgrown lawn.

Could you describe your property for us?
Just under 3 acre L shaped lot with stone wall fences on 3 sides. 2 stall barn w/ loft & run in shed when the Mrs. had horses, now used as equipment storage. Riding ring and pasture is now all lawn since horses are gone.

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?
Actually a couple things: Becki had a ’76 C/K10 Chevy stepside short bed. Would love to find another and fix it up for her. My first vehicle was a ’48 Ford F-1 w/ flathead V8. Like to find another & fix that for myself.

Most memorable tractor moment?

I was probably about 10-12 years old and my brother & I used to help local farmer with hay. He use to let me ride on the fender of his 4020 while he cut & baled hay. That’s why I would like to have a 4020 even though my place is way too small.

Earliest tractor memories?
Helping my dad work our almost 2 acre black dirt garden. He had a 9N and then later got an Oliver OC3 and Cletrac HG.

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?
Camping with family & friends, armchair railroad (model & full size)fan, since I grew up between the L&NE and NYSW but they were gone by the time I was a year old and a local history fan.

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?

They look at me weird and the wife deals with it. Friends who grew up on farms understand the obsession though.

aug18_fmom.png

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Congrats, John! That is a really nice old 110 as well!

·
Super Moderator
12,936 Posts
Congratulations, John! I enjoyed reading your Q, and A's, especially your answer to the "What do other people in your life think.." question. Not long ago, I was talking with a neighbor's wife while the town was repaving our road. I happened to mention something about the rollers, and she said jokingly "I'm surprised that you don't have one". So jokingly, I replied "Maybe I do. I should look".

Enjoy your FMOM!

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
John, congrats on the FMOM, well deserved! Love the reason you'd like the 4020, amazing how things when we're kids stick with us as we get older as fond memories!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
Congrats, John! That is a really nice old 110 as well!
Thanks Nick. Unfortunately it need some tranny work at the moment. It's stuck in gear and won't move. I have 2 other trannies to pick from to fix also, so I can get it back before snow flies.
John, congrats on the FMOM, well deserved! Love the reason you'd like the 4020, amazing how things when we're kids stick with us as we get older as fond memories!
PA318GUY
Thanks. That memory has stuck with me all these years. It was like I was special and that 4020 seemed huge to me.
Congratulations, John! I enjoyed reading your Q, and A's, especially your answer to the "What do other people in your life think.." question. Not long ago, I was talking with a neighbor's wife while the town was repaving our road. I happened to mention something about the rollers, and she said jokingly "I'm surprised that you don't have one". So jokingly, I replied "Maybe I do. I should look".
Dave, Thanks. Every time we go out together and there is a machine sitting outside, even without a for sale sign on it, I slow down and she just shakes her head.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,740 Posts
Congratulations John! Members like you make this site the friendly, helpful place it is. Thank you for all your contributions. :thThumbsU

Those old stone walls are prevalent in that part of NY. I can only imagine how long it takes to build one.

We wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your train layout if you have one.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Congrats John, much deserved............I like that Kubby!

·
forkz
6,277 Posts
congrats welcome to the club farm i worked on as ateen had a 4020 wide front though also had 630 narrow front end hand clutch i loved that ole tractor

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
Those old stone walls are prevalent in that part of NY. I can only imagine how long it takes to build one.We wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your train layout if you have one.
Al,
Thanks. I can only imagine the work our predecessors put into making those walls. Mine average about 3-4' high and a good 8' wide. I will have to take some pictures to show the work. Sad thing is, the stones still keep popping out of the ground so I have been adding to them. One day maybe I can dress them up to make them look better.

Sorry, no model train pictures. Never got around to building a layout. Between the wife's horses and then the kids there was never enough time. Only layout I had was around the Christmas tree and that was simple circle with some ceramic buildings & figurines.
Forkz, Ellis
Thanks.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
Congrats. If MTF sends you a nice T shirt be advised that your Mr's may confiscate it. Course in my case it looks much better on her LOL....
Thanks.

If she wants to wear it, that will be a first. I have some MTF magnets on the fridge out in the garage and she's always commenting about throwing them out when I'm not around.:tango_face_surprise
If she does put it on, believe me, I will get a picture and post it here.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
Thanks Austen.
There's plenty to do and maintain with 3 acres. I'd like to have more property & less neighbors, but it is what it is. Both machines have earned their keep making things easier around here.

·
Administrator
17,822 Posts
Well as usual I'm late to the the party, but guess better late than never. Congrats on the FMOM recognition John. Well deserved. Now for the downside. You gave such an accurate description of your layout I'll probably be able to find you... since after all you are a semi-neighbor, just one town away. :tango_face_devil:
MikeC

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Well deserved neighbor! Like Mike I'm late to the party! Mike found me via pictures so don't be surprised if he stops in!
Congrats!!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
Well as usual I'm late to the the party, but guess better late than never. Congrats on the FMOM recognition John. Well deserved. Now for the downside. You gave such an accurate description of your layout I'll probably be able to find you... since after all you are a semi-neighbor, just one town away. :tango_face_devil:
MikeC
Thanks Mike. If you're ever in the Greenville area stop by! We might be going to Otisville Country Fair this weekend, so will be in your neck of the woods.

Well deserved neighbor! Like Mike I'm late to the party! Mike found me via pictures so don't be surprised if he stops in!
Congrats!!
Thanks Eric. Would not surprise me one bit if he did just drop by.

·
Administrator
17,822 Posts
Thanks Mike. If you're ever in the Greenville area stop by! We might be going to Otisville Country Fair this weekend, so will be in your neck of the woods.
We go every yr but wife is laid up after foot operation so we gonna pass this yr.
MikeC

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
congrats!!!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts