My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Congratulations Scott! Interesting bio and nice family and property. I visited Japan many years ago. It was beautiful then, and apparently still is. Hopefully, you are shielded from most of the negative issues we deal with over here. You have an enviable lifestyle. :thThumbsU
They say, every dog has its own fleas... I guess that's probably so. Japan has plenty of problems of its own for sure, but they seem to congregate around the cities. I avoid the cities... as much as possible at least.

And thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Congrats

·
Super Moderator
12,936 Posts
Congratulations, Scott! I really enjoyed reading about you, your family, and your life in the mountains of Japan. I also enjoyed seeing your pics. Very neat!

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Thanks. :trink39:

The AMX-3 was brought to the States in limited numbers as the Kubota PX-2100. They're outwardly identical except for all the rollover gear on the imports and the badging/decals, with a smaller engine (D950 vs D1105) and a slightly different setup to mount the RC60 mower deck.

They still pop up for sale occasionally on that side.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Wonderful accomplishments and a beautiful family and home. Glad you were picked Scott. Always enjoy your posts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The cherry blossom stopped me where I typically just pass on :) What part of Nagano are you in? I visit my mother near Matsumoto every summer with my kids, actually right by Midoriko reservoir. I'm a transplant in CO, but miss four seasons full of colors, even in the quiet and the thickest of the winter. The only American implement I see there is CAT. Funny, JD and Yanmar/Kubota are all tractors that do the same tasks all very well, but have very different feels.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I was in their back yard then a couple of weeks ago, up at one of the Nature Village Cottages. About an hour's drive from the Hill... the rest of the crew was in from Hokkaido for summer vacation so we all bugged out together to the cool of the forest. Nice place to stay.

Lots of big green tractors up in the wide-open spaces of the north island, around here orange (or red) comes in smaller packages and tends to fit the mountain terrain better. Also cost... I checked out a new X479 a while back just to see... import tax added means ¥3,000,000+ (~$30k) out the door, for just the basic tractor itself. Yowza... No local support either. The JA (farm co-operative) right here in the village can order in anything I need for the fleet here, so that's what I'm sticking with.

I sure wish Kubota marketed their SCUT/CUT lines here though.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
Congratulations, KR!

I've been at a new job and so haven't had much spare time for MTF. Just on today for the first time in quite a while.

I've always enjoyed your stories and posts, glad to see that you got picked!

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
458 Posts
Great story and pictures Scott,

Watashi no oksan Nihonjin desu (you understand I think).

Great area around Nagano and no doubt the Yanmar gets a workout in the Wintertime. Went skiing in Naeba, Zao and a couple other places in the past. Great snow and lots of it! Zao of course is famous for its "snow monsters", which are the snow covered tops of pine trees sticking out of the snow about 20 feet. Few places on earth regularly get as much snow as the windward facing mountains in Japan.

Great joinery on the inside of your cabin. Japanese post beam construction is a marvel to behold. My wife's home near Chiba (Yotsukaido - near Narita) was built in the late 60's in the traditional style of post, beam, and log. There's one log that holds up a portion of the roof that's about 24" in diameter and 40' plus long. All mortise and tenon in place, secured with wood pegs. When the earthquakes come you can see and hear the house flex with the pulses of the tremors. While the joinery is very strong and functional, it's also a necessity to flex. Standard stick and drywall construction in the USA would not last long in Japan.

With all of your toys and know-how, you must be very popular with the locals in your area/region. No doubt you're a bit of a celebrity too given your status as perhaps the only one within miles with other than black hair. haha. I know the feeling of sticking out.

Pretty cool looking Kubota you've got. Do you know if they have the BX series in Japan? Kubota makes all kinds of different small farm equipment in Japan that they don't offer in the US. Much of it is focused on the rice growing industry. Don't recall ever seeing a BX. A bx with bush hog, MMM, FEL and blower would be a great setup for what your dealing with there.

Send us some updates of your various projects sometime. Would be nice to see some more pictures of winter in the region too.

Cheers...

21 - 40 of 52 Posts