1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Congratulations to our August Featured Member of the Month

Kubota Ronin​
villagestuff1.jpg dadrei1.jpg hillwinter1.jpg
Well I’m quite humbled at being chosen as the August FMOM… as some of you have seen I’ve got a project or two going on here and there and I’ve a couple of machines kicking around, but nothing compared to what I’ve seen of some of all your awesome achievements and collections. Thanks for the honor.

Every story must begin, so first of all a prelude. How I came to be, not only how I am but who I am, can only be attributed to one person. A guy who helped me up from the time I was a wee lad, and again later as a teen, and to this day remains my sage, my mentor and the closest I ever had to a real father. His name is Lyle, and don’t think I’d be writing this today if it hadn’t been for his constant steady influence and everything he taught me. Thanks Pop. I owe you everything.

So on with it then…

My name is Scott, and I’m member number 49265. I joined MTF back in August of 2010 after discovering the forums during a search for information on my then new-to-me Kubota AMX-3 mower.

For most of the past twenty-five years or so I’ve called the central part of the Japan Alps home. Otherwise known as the Shinshu region of Nagano Prefecture, and located generally right about in the geographic center of Japan’s main island, Honshu. The pace and style of life here makes it seem almost not so much a place as a time; we’re in a small farming community of about 30 households tucked up into the Hill and the people are friendly, tough and very self-sufficient. The kind of place where the first guy to make engine smoke in the morning gets bonus points, and in the summertime and without daylight savings time slowing things down 05:00 launches are not uncommon. The only ‘sacred’ quiet time is the hour beginning at noon, lest naptime be disturbed.
My original roots are in mid-sixties Wisconsin, just west of Milwaukee, and later Michigan. I also spent some time growing up in the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Kicked around the Midwest for a while as a youth but eventually decided to go back out and see more of the world, which is what finally brought me here.

As for the family, I’ve been married to a great gal named Yuko for nine years and we have a fifteen month-old daughter, Rei.

yandr1.jpg
I also have a nineteen year-old son with my ex-wife; Seiya has been pictured many times over the years in my Kubota thread happily cruising around. Two cats.

On to some of the other questions, briefly…

What do you do to earn a living?

Work… all kinds. I’m currently rebuilding our little shack here on the Hill, which is my main focus now. Been at it for a while and there’s still quite a ways to go. Bit off a lot thar… Yuko spends long days at the hospital fixing people up, so I’m also in charge of keeping things afloat at home: chef, provisioning, laundry detail, swabbing the decks… chief bottle-washer too, you name it. And of course baby girl… Grounds-keeping goes without sayin’ I guess; I take care of the 1/3 acre or so that we live on as well as maybe two or three acres surrounding. Some of the neighbors are getting pretty old and what takes them a day or two to chop down with a brush cutter I can flatten in about 40 minutes with the ‘Bota or the Shibaura. I also fix and repair all kinds of machinery for said neighbors, and I’ve been a member of the village council for the past three years so there’s always something to do there… take care of the village hall, set up for festivals, more repairs… never a dull day.
I also spend a lot of time in the garden, which I work with the neighbor. About 1/3 acre or so there too I guess, for that we use his trusty 4WD Kubota 1502.

The other thing that I do is edit medical manuscripts for publication in international (English) medical journals, specializing in cardiovascular surgery and research on therapeutic interventions in the treatment of cardiovascular disease.

Military service?

I tried… got injured during basic and subsequent testing revealed a problem that disqualified me physically. Enjoyed it while it lasted though, and always wonder what would have been.

What are your favorite MTF forums and why?

Any forum that has a question I can answer or somehow help resolve. I’ve been fortunate to learn a lot over the years and it feels good to give some back.

What do you like most about MTF?

The fact that of all the things left to learn about machines (and a lot of other things too) it seems most of it can be found on the forums; there’s a lot of great answers here, with great people behind them.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:

Kubota AMX-3 60” mower (pictured in avatar),
amx1.jpg

Shibaura LT16B 40” mower (li’l Red)
shibaura1.jpg
Murray 19” B&S 190cc push-mower, Ryobi brush cutter, Ryobi blower, and an LCT-powered 6.5hp wood chipper of somewhat vague heritage. For winter fun, there’s the mighty Yanmar YSRA1000DX-E diesel snowblower.

yanmar1.jpg yanmar2.jpg

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why?

I like ‘em all, but I’d by a lyin’ if I didn’t say the AMX is my favorite. She’s a monster, in all the right ways. The Yanmar blower comes in a close second for the same reason.

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?

I’d love to somehow score a JD 80 cart… unfortunately unheard of here, and there’s very few comparable small garden trailers anywhere to be had. They do it different here… Maybe I’ll make one, someday, or beyond all odds find one someplace.

Could you describe your property for us?

backyard1.jpg backyard2.jpg
As mentioned above, the house sits on about 1/3 acre of hillside (The Hill) overlooking the valley below. We’re at about 2,100 feet, with peaks higher to the north. It was abandoned when we bought it, so just getting things habitable took a while. Basically I’m rebuilding it all, save for the main post and beam structure, with major modifications to the floorplan. The yard was literally a packed forest of wild trees, so restoring the land was a handful too but it shines up real good now.

Most memorable tractor moment?

There’s a few… one that comes to mind is the day Lyle’s daughter and I forgot to check the oil in the JD 400, with the predictable result. Oh man did we catch it that day. More recently, a wild ride in reverse with no brakes down the Hill on the AMX, detailed further in my Kubota thread.

Earliest tractor memories?

My grandfather taking me around and around his garden on his old GT… the name of it escapes me now. I remember there wasn’t a seat, so we sat on a folded blanket on the gas tank. He’d let me ‘drive’… so cool. Gone way too soon and I barely got to know him.

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?

Woodworking is a long-time hobby, so once the carpentry here is closer to being finished I hope to get back to working on some smaller “fun” projects that aren’t quite so hard on the back.

hillwork1.jpg
I also enjoy photography, music and cooking (especially BBQ)

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?

General approval from the Mrs., with usually only slightly raised eyebrows when something new ‘appears’. The neighbors were pretty skeptical at first (and not just about the machinery) but once they saw how things were going they warmed fast. Now that they get used to contribute to the good of the place all around I get real good vibes, and have become the “go-to” guy for this ‘n that; I’ve got a pretty good stock of small stuff like o-rings, clips, pins, nuts and bolts and the like, beats having to order ‘em in. Also have a welder, for those sudden emergencies… In return we get more fresh vegetables and fruits than we know what to do with, on top of what we grow ourselves.
Little Rei thinks it’s all great, and asks for a ride around the neighborhood “buun? buun?” every day. I oblige whenever I can (which is nearly always) and we circle our private drive, up onto the upper road and over then back down again for a lap or two around the yard before we park.

reishib1.jpg
And in the great beauty of the countryside, nobody complains.

In closing, thanks again everyone, both for the opportunity to share and for being such a great online community. Glad to be here.

August_2017.png

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,758 Posts
Congrats Scott!!!! :dancingpa

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Congrats Scott! Beautiful family and place to live as well!

·
Registered
274 Posts
:00000033:Wow, congrats Scott.:trink39:

·
Super Moderator
22,976 Posts
A well deserved award, Scott!

Congratulations! :trink40:

·
Super Moderator
16,927 Posts
Applause here for you-Scott...certainly a unique and quite unusual undertaking...
Thanks for letting us enjoy your views from our chairs-:congrats::congrats:

glenn

·
Super Moderator
15,644 Posts
Congratulations Scott. Thanks for giving us a little view into your part of the world. Well deserved honor and glad to get to know you a little better.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,300 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the read, Scott. You're a rich man, congrats.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Congrats Scott! Was glad to learn more about you! We bumped more and more in the forums of late and glad of it! your a wealth of info! I love the Japan culture in general that I have seen! The pictures of your homestead look so lovely! :)

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Congratulations Scott! Great story and read. I've always enjoyed your posts. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story and life in Japan.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Congratuations!

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Congratulations !....very interesting read,its cool to see how things are in another country..looks peaceful and serene,something that is unfortunately becoming very hard to find around here any more..

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,742 Posts
Congratulations Scott! Interesting bio and nice family and property. I visited Japan many years ago. It was beautiful then, and apparently still is. Hopefully, you are shielded from most of the negative issues we deal with over here. You have an enviable lifestyle. :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
All your warm responses say I should be the one thanking you... so, thanks all. My pleasure. :hatsoff:

Congratulations !....very interesting read,its cool to see how things are in another country..looks peaceful and serene,something that is unfortunately becoming very hard to find around here any more..
Absolutely silent nights, and dark enough to see all of the stars. My alarm clock is a pheasant but I'm usually up before he is.

Dawn light on the Japan Alps, as viewed from the bedroom window:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts