My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
17,825 Posts
Congratulations Eric. :fing32: The view you have is spectacular.:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU
MikeC

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
Our Property Story

Thanks, Folks!

A quick story on this property:

25 years ago, we were looking for property to build on in this area. My wife worked up the Gorge a ways, and I worked way over on the far side of Portland. I don't mind driving, she does; that's why we looked for something closer to her work.

We found this piece of property, and it said, "View property!" We went out to look at it, and when we saw it, we turned to each other and laughed, "View? WHAT view?" There was 75-year-old second growth timber on all the lower side, and all of a "view" you had was a little peek at the Ridge. In Winter. :sidelaugh But the price was right, we could get water, and it perc'ed okay, so we bought it.

About 12 years after we'd built our house, the guy on the downhill side of the main road below us sold his property. Whoever bought it. hired gyppos and they came in and just slicked the whole 250 acres off. We got to looking at the carnage (we were taught correct forestry management practices in school - that's the kind of area I grew up in), and my Granpa's words came to mind: "Trees stand as a unit, and they fall as a unit." So we could see our trees were now exposed to the full force of the weather. And believe me, the weather up here is a serious FORCE!!

So we hired a responsible logger to come in and selectively clear for us. And partway into the second day of clearing, we looked out and our breath caught in our throats. And we've been maintaining the forest for the view ever since.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Congratulations! Nice property, nice tractor, nice story!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Congratulations Eric. I love your bio and that property! You should enter that last pic in some contests if you haven't already. Simply stunning!

Thanks for hanging here with and offering us a peak into your life. :thanku:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Congratulations Eric! A well deserved selection as the FMoM for August. :congrats::congrats:

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
You should enter that last pic in some contests if you haven't already.
I did win Second Overall and People's Choice in the big Southwest Washington Fair contest about 38 years ago. There were something like 700 entries that year, I entered three or four photos. It was an honor to win, and all the encouragement I needed to continue to make photographs.

I went into my old slide archives this morning.

Back when I was working as an Apprentice Mechanic in a gas station, I had to work almost every Sunday. Being an early riser, I used to grab my camera bag and go talk to God while taking a drive in the country.

Living in a small town that's 90 miles from anything, you only had to drive for 10 minutes and there'd be no sign of 'town' in the rearview. Anything old became a subject. I'd be watching the paper during the week to see if a house or barn was to be torn down, then I'd go make a photo of it; I have a photo (somewhere) of one of the last one-lane bridges on a major County road.

Here's one I think will be popular with the members here; should generate a bit of reminiscing....

Attachments

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
All right, let's throw another old slide in...

I talked above about that one-lane bridge; here's a shot that has the proper context for this forum...

I bet somebody knows what that tractor is, too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,927 Posts
I don't know about the ';make ' of the tractor in the second pic--, but I do see a span bridge in the background.:dunno:

The first picture close up shows an old fence post for electric fence, with the old porcelean insulators on it.....

and the old farmhouse in the left background....

glenn

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Love the pics! I've threatened to go take a photography course at the local community college. I just haven't done it. I really need to get the lead out. :D

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
Okay, time to throw in another old slide. This one's of the Mayflower, when it was moored up in Chehalis, WA, one summer evening in 1975.

And there's a story to go with it.

I understand that they used to moor the blimps there in Chehalis because getting them in/out of Portland or Seattle was a major hassle, plus there wasn't really anyplace to moor them safely there. A blimp is moored to a tall mast and allowed to swing around that mast with the changing wind, like a big, BIG weathervane. So you can see that mooring one means they have to have a lot of space around them.

This particular summer evening, my wife and I were taking an evening drive in my '66 Ranchero to get cooled off. We decided to drive along the old Airport road, which parallels (or at least it did then) the freeway in Chehalis. I always took my camera along, in case something interesting came up. We pulled up to a high spot in the road where we could see the airport over the dike, and were trying to make out the blimp.

All we could see was the red beacon on the dorsal area, and the "R" from Goodyear. I turned to my wife, and said, "I'm going to try to make a photograph. Are you game?"

Not knowing what would be involved, she said, "Sure."

I got my gear out and set up, then realized I had Kodachrome 25 loaded in the camera for shooting scenery. For the benefit of younger readers, Kodachrome 25 is one of the best films Kodak made for shooting scenery. Beautiful, true colors, really fine grain... but it was a VERY slow film, meaning long exposures. Now in those days, I used to be able to hand-hold a 5-second exposure, so slow film was an okay thing for me. But tonight I was in the dark, literally.

And this was before I owned a tripod.

My Ranchero had a streamlined Gem-Top on it, so I knew I was most of the way there.

I told my wife, "I'm going to have to set the camera on the Ranchero, so here's what I need you to do. Find a comfortable position, and put your hands on your thighs. Find something interesting to look at for a minute and a half, because I don't want you to move your head or your body, just breathe, no talking. I'll need you to be perfectly still when I say NOW! Okay?"

I heard the tentative "Okay..." come back from her side of the Ranchero.

I set the camera on the back of the Ranchero in a spot where it would be steady, set up my framing and focus, set the shutter to "B" for 'bulb', called out "NOW!", took a deep breath, let it out slowly, and gently, carefully, pushed ... the ... shutter. I had to count to 60 myself because I didn't have a luminous watch.

I gently let let my finger up off the shutter button, and told her she could move, that I'm going to do two more exposures. (Film and processing was expensive, and we were on a newlyweds' budget.)

We did this twice more, one for 30 seconds, and one for 90 seconds. She said, "I hope you got it!" after the 90-second exposure.

When we got the slides back, we both said "Wow!" in unison, because we remembered we couldn't see anything of the blimp at all. And here it was, lined up perfectly.

That Christmas, she gave me a tripod. :sidelaugh

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,927 Posts
Boy--I like that story.... Just pure ingenious--make do/use what you got, end run if you can't go down the middle/ etc......

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
Time to post some more pix...
I was going through some stuff that involved shots of the property and area where I live, and came across these.

There are a lot of winter days when we get a dusting of snow, and folks in lower elevations don't. You look up in the hills, and there's a definite line where the snow ends. You occasionally run into folks around here who can tell you they live 'on the snow line'.

And we're on it. Literally right on it.

Here are three snapshots I got a couple winters ago, while I was walking with the dog down to the end of the road where are paper-boxes are. (Last winter, we got next to no snow, and boy are we paying for that now.)

First couple show how the snow line cuts right through the property; the last one is looking back where we'd come from. You can see that it's not a trick of the wind or the trees, that this really is where the snow cuts off.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm a bit late, but congratulations Eric! I am intrigued by the photo of your "side" mower on the JD. Is there a link to that story i missed somewhere along here?

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts
Cool! :cool: Does the line typically vary much from one year to the next one way or the other?
It doesn't vary much, only a couple hundred feet. I posted this snapshot because it was pretty much the center of where it varies. It must have something to do with our winds and the way the air stratifies in the ravine. Same thing that forms "The River of Clouds" that you see at the top of the thread.

I am intrigued by the photo of your "side" mower on the JD.
Hi Rattletrap, I don't know where the mods got that photo. :dunno: It looks like one of the machines the County has to trim ditches out by us. I did some searching and came up as empty-handed as you did.

Mods, can you help us out?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts