My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is my distinct pleasure to welcome Jere39 as MTF's Featured Member of the Month for August of 2014! Jere, thanks so much for all your contributions here at MTF... I'm sure everyone will enjoy reading your bio as much as I have!

Name:
Jere McDonald

Member number:
not sure

What's the story behind your screen name?
Jere39 refers to my name and age 20-couple years ago when I was first faced with coming up with a user name on my own, rather than living with an assigned one. Since then, I have just stuck with it.

What city, and state, do you live in?
I live in the Northern tip of Chester County in South East PA. This is a township served by a post office in the next county over.

Are you married?
Yes. Carol and I recently celebrated 38 years of marriage.

Do you have any children?
One Son, one Daughter. Scott is 31, lives about 40 minutes south within a half mile of my Daughter, 28, who is married.

Here is a favorite old picture from back in the day when I had dark hair. The kids and I on (/in) our own John Deere tractors.

What do you do to earn a living?
I worked for 34 years in IT primarily as a software technician then an IT Project Manager and Six Sigma Black Belt. A couple years ago my company offshored my entire division to Bangalore, India. I took a very modest early retirement package. I took a couple temporary jobs while I attempted to find a full time job again. But, I got very comfortable with getting back outside. I am working harder (physically) than I did for all those "professional" years, but enjoying it more.

How old are you?

Military service?
None

How did you come to join MTF?
I distinctly recall doing a Google search for something to do with my John Deere GT, but I don't remember what. I found a friendly, easy to participate forum and never looked further.

What are your favorite forums and why?
Well first and foremost the John Deere GT/LT forum where I probably have 70-80% of my posts. Many of them are questions, a reasonable number are answers, and a fair number are just plain conversational joins with other folks enjoying their Deere GT.
I also have a fair number of contributions in the "Chainsaw" threads. Especially loaded up a bunch of tree felling video.
And, a fair number of "The Great Outdoors" and "Shooting Sports".
Finally, I intentionally keep an eye on the ATV thread.
Otherwise, I stumble on, or get my attention directed to a couple other threads.

What do you like most about MTF?

I've really enjoyed the time I've spent on MTF. I never took pictures of changing oil or performing maintenance operations before. It's kind of fun, and helps me next time too. I share, and learn from the folks here. I write a blog, I am on Facebook, a truck forum, and an ATV forum. None are as friendly as MTF. I find I am more guarded on the other social sites. I have no interest in offending anyone, nor defending myself from anyone. MTF is the best I've found.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:
I'm kind of embarrassed by my meager list of tractors. I have one, a John Deere x728.

It follows a long line of John Deere tractors. I've outlined my history a few times.

I am a sometimes blogger, and wrote this one about my history with tractors: Farm Boy Grows Up.

My signature reminds me I own a 62C mower deck, a 54" blade, a JD 42" Sweeper, a JD 15s cart, a Gandy 36" drop spreader, a TracVac 880, a Feldmann 48" core/plug aerator.

Some of them lined up here ready for duty:

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why? Changes by the season. When the snow is flying, it is the plow:

But, in November, when my little property gets a thick blanket of leaves, I have to love the Trac-Vac. I well remember tackling this task before I picked up the Trac-Vac, now that was no fun.

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?
I do quite a bit of firewood cutting, most of it during the winter. I was using my JD tractor to pull logs, and transport firewood all winter long, when the mower deck was stored in the garage and I had plenty of ground clearance. But as my firewood operation grew, I needed a longer season without the mower deck. I set out looking for a nice JD 655 or similar for my operation in the woods. I quickly learned folks with used 655 either loved them so much they weren't selling, or loved them even more, and were pricing them out of reach. After almost two years of searching, I came to a total alternative idea: A 4wd ATV. It has worked great, and is a great complement to my tractor.

But, a nice 655 in very good condition is still on my list of future aquisitions.

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for?

My Tractor is a 4 season tool. I prepare the lawn with aerator, and spreader in the spring. I mow all summer. I manage leaf collection in the fall. I plow snow in the winter, and a small firewood operation. I've kind of expanded on those in other answers.

Could you describe your property for us?
I've shared this in bits and pieces several times before, but, I live on a 13 acre hill top in the middle of about 75 acres of second generation PA hardwoods. I love my buffer of nature, and spend as much time as I can wandering this woodland with my pup and constant companion.

Here is a satellite shot from Google:

And, a closer shot I took in the Fall from a friends airplane:

I live at the end of a 1500' private drive that runs through the woods. Gives me plenty of snow to move in the winter, and lots of perimeter to maintain year round.

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?

I do all my own maintenance, and as a 15 year old I did the usual engine swap, body work, and repaint of my first car. But, to be honest, I'd rather work with my equipment, than work on it.

That said, I just completed a build of a Log Arch. I had been considering one of these for quite a while for my little one-man logging operation. I came across a perfect axle set while cleaning up the family farm. So, I put together a rough design, and gathered some more materials from a reuse pile. Without welder or welding skills, I traded a cord of firewood to a friend with welding skills. Then after the benchmark log pull, I painted it up in JD Green.

Here is my build thread: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=591514

Here is what it looks like:

And, here it is in action:

Most memorable tractor moment?

Tough one. When I was very young, my grandfather would always pick me up on the way to the fields. While I grew up in an area with plenty folks who farmed with mules as part of their religious beliefs, truth be told, my grandfather just couldn't afford a tractor. So, many of my best memories are with Pap, our mule Polly, and working the soil. Here is another early picture, this one includes my sister too.:

Earliest tractor memories?

I grew up on a very small, and old family farm. The house was built in the 1740 era by my direct ancestors. When I was very young my Father, and his Dad had a greenhouse business. I got a John Deere tractor for a birthday in the middle 1950's, and someone had the good sense to snap this picture of me sinking the plow inside the greenhouse in some good old Lancaster County farm soil:

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?

Top of my list; spending time with my constant companion, my French Brittany: Scout. He loves the outdoors as much as me:

I still play Tournament and several Leagues of Racquetball. I've been playing for over 40 years, since college. It's a great sport that proves experience and treachery can beat youth and stamina regularly.
I ride my mountain bike, often trying to keep up with my son, and remembering what seemed not so long ago when the roles were reversed.
I hunt, and shoot. I belong to a very small group of Fathers, Sons, Grandsons who own a very primative hunting cabin in the mountains.

Otherwise, I have been a Trustee for my Church and spend a significant amount of time on maintenance projects there.

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?

Many wonder why I am not spending my "retirement" on cruises, or traveling the world, or relaxing. Well, I've traveled much of the world, and enjoyed that. But, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than in the woods enjoying nature. My tractor, equipment, attachments, and time are treasures.

And, when many of those folks need a tree removed, or a lawn mowed, or a driveway plowed, or any other outdoor project, they often come to me. Recently, my friends are of an age where their daughters are getting married. Several of them have asked for log cookies for wedding reception centerpieces. I've become kind of the go to guy for chainsaw artistry?

Look for me on Pinterest: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=492546

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Jere i enjoy seeing your many great pictures on the JD forum even tho i do not post much. You are a great asset to this forum and we are lucky to have folks like you

Definatly well deserved and please enjoy :)

Mikey.

Thread on my Ford (Profile Tractor)
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=495546

·
Super Moderator
13,592 Posts
Jere Congratulations. Well deserved!! I really enjoy reading your threads. Keep up the good working making MTF what it is. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Jere, wow, congratulations!
i always love reading your posts. you have quite a slice of heaven for a home and its wonderful that you enjoy it so much:)...even when the snow and ice topple the poles...

keep up the good fight Sir!:thThumbsU

OH! that toy tractor you had as a kid looks like a 60 popper!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Nice to meet you jere congrats :fing32:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Jere, congrats and well deserved! Your posts are always friendly, constructive, or informative and as pleasure to read.
As someone who grew up semi local to your homestead, but a generation off, I can relate to many of your stories. From the tractor in the green house to the awesome tool you use now, look forward to many more of your posts!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Jere, congratulations.
Well done, enjoyed reading your bio as much as your detailed threads.
Jim

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,740 Posts
Congratulations Jere! I also enjoy your posts and your bio is very interesting. Your home is beautiful and the property is perfect.

This Member of the Month award is certainly well-deserved. :thThumbsU

:thanku:for your contributons.

·
Registered
901 Posts
congrats Jere!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,404 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I was and am perfectly happy to be a contributing member. I know there are plenty of deserving members for this recognition, I will try to live up to all the previous FMOM contributions.

Now, I have to get out there and mow before the predicted 3 days of rain.

Thanks again,
Jere

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Jere, looks like you found the secret to a good life. Congratulations on your recognition. You have an enviable property and existence. Cheers.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Congrats, Jere. Loved the article and hearing about your connection to your surroundings. And I must say the picture with your granddad and his mule is just amazing. What a piece of personal and family history. Thanks for sharing with us :thThumbsU

·
Registered
875 Posts
Congratulations Jere on being nominated as the August MOM. A well deserved tribute.
Enjoyed reading about and identifying with your history.:thThumbsU

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
A big congratulations! I love ye place Jere! And ye hound!

·
Super Moderator
22,970 Posts
A great write up for an excellent member of MTF! :thThumbsU

Hearing about your history tells us why reading your posts is a positive experience for all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts