My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to here and I have a question that I'm sure others have asked but I cannot find an answer to.

* This is long post *

I recently purchased a John Deere 214 that came with the snow attachment and the lawn deck. I spent hours trying to figure out how to get it to run correctly and almost as much time trying to get the auger to work.

Come to find out that I had a bad carburetor and once the new one went on, the thing runs like a champ.

I then could not get the new belt on the auger so I used the old one that came with it. The old belt isn't that bad but I wanted to be prepared in case it broke.

I cleaned the sprockets, dipped the chain in some old gas for a bit, and finally reassembled it and put oil on the chain. There was another step I had to mess with but I got it to work. The good news was that it was finally working. The bad news was that I forgot I put fresh oil on the chan and got it all over myself. lol

I took it for its first drive as I had snow left over from a week ago that needed to be removed. The thing is a tank. It plowed through the snow like it wasn't even there and then...

There is a gravel parking lot that I was working on after the sidewalk and I hear a loud "Ting" sound. I used the lawn tractor as a plow (with the auger off) and removed the rest of the snow.

I pulled in to my garage, cleaned out the crammed snow, turned on the auger, and it worked fine. I went back out to work on a different part (hardly any snow) and the minute the auger touched snow, it stopped spinning.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this is?

·
Super Moderator
11,240 Posts
First off...
to My Tractor Forum...sounds like the shear pin broke...it is supposed to do that if you run into something that would otherwise break the gears in the drive train...any Outdoor Power Equipment shop will have them in stock..get a few of them...you may have to replace them more frequently than the belts..check this video

·
Super Moderator
38,068 Posts
Or a grade 5 bolt with a nut with plastic insert to keep it from backing off. Do not tighten the bolt down completely you should be able to turn the bolt by hand (snug though but not tight).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off... View attachment 2486409 to My Tractor Forum...sounds like the shear pin broke...it is supposed to do that if you run into something that would otherwise break the gears in the drive train...any Outdoor Power Equipment shop will have them in stock..get a few of them...you may have to replace them more frequently than the belts..check this video

Thank you for the welcome.

I used to have an old Ariens walk behind that died on me. That lead me to finding a great deal on this John Deere.

The Ariens had two augers (besides the chute auger) and when the shear pin would snap, I would replace it. The John Deere however, has one long auger from end to end and no chute auger. Because it has a long, single auger, I'm not sure what to look for.

The odd thing however is that the entire auger still spins, where the Ariens only one side would spin if the shear pin snapped.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or a grade 5 bolt with a nut with plastic insert to keep it from backing off. Do not tighten the bolt down completely you should be able to turn the bolt by hand (snug though but not tight).

Are you talking about creating a shear pin or something like that? (I have several shear pins in the garage.) lol

As I have a single auger from one end to the other I'm not sure where to look for defects persey...

I am planning on removing the side panel today to look to see if anything looks off in the gears or the chain but beyond that I am not sure what to do.

I snagged an online photo but this is what I have:

Yellow Road surface Asphalt Iron Concrete

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Re-read PA's post in thread #3. Verify extra shear bolts are grade 5 (will have 3 lines on head of bolt), verify self locking nuts (usually a white plastic ring on one side), and do NOT overtighten!

Overtightening locks the 2 plates together. When you auger hits something, the shear bolt has to first overcome the friction between the 2 plates and can then shear based on load. When properly tightened, you should be able to still rotate the bolt by hand/with your fingers. This is difficult if you shear a bolt during use as fingers are usually too cold to feel/turn the bolt! Put your wrench in a horizontal position and then let go of wrench. If wrench rotates down, you're good. If wrench stays horizontal, you're probably too tight.

PA had all the correct info, I'm just going into a little more detail! Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re-read PA's post in thread #3. Verify extra shear bolts are grade 5 (will have 3 lines on head of bolt), verify self locking nuts (usually a white plastic ring on one side), and do NOT overtighten!

Overtightening locks the 2 plates together. When you auger hits something, the shear bolt has to first overcome the friction between the 2 plates and can then shear based on load. When properly tightened, you should be able to still rotate the bolt by hand/with your fingers. This is difficult if you shear a bolt during use as fingers are usually too cold to feel/turn the bolt! Put your wrench in a horizontal position and then let go of wrench. If wrench rotates down, you're good. If wrench stays horizontal, you're probably too tight.

PA had all the correct info, I'm just going into a little more detail! Bob

Fantastic advice. Thank you.

·
close enuff works for me
3,239 Posts
I had the same snow blower for 15 years and never sheared a bolt off , even when it ate 15 feet of garden hose. Don't think it happens very much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the same snow blower for 15 years and never sheared a bolt off , even when it ate 15 feet of garden hose. Don't think it happens very much.
I think I found out what happened. I too was going through snow with zero issues on the sidewalks and my driveway. However, I do snow blow a gravel parking lot and I think a larger rock or hidden ice chunk might be the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
38,068 Posts
Probably your shear plates were rusted together and bolt was too tight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts