My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a nice job on that. Is there a mechanical latching system so it doesn't collapse if the hydraulic system fails?
On the way up the safety bar's drag along the frame until they fall into their channels. At that point I stop raising and slowly lower until the bars are supporting the weight. So, until that point, it could collapse if the hose were to burst or the cylinder mount were to fail. At that point, the cylinder and the safety bar's are supporting the weight. The cylinder still has a fluid lock.

Going down, I raise the lift slightly with the cylinder, stow the bars in their up position, then lower the lift. At no point is any part of me under the lift structure. I do have to reach in over the ramps to stow the bars just inside.

I think any time dealing with lifting a lot of weight there is some danger involved. Supporting a car on jack stands is the same. Even more so since one must push the stands under the car while it is supported by only the floor jack.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something like that would make a good tractor lift. Good job!
I have a Kubota B2320, compact tractor, that I wouldn't think about putting on this lift due to the weight. Perhaps a garden or lawn tractor would be OK. The Sportsman 570 weighs 677 lbs. dry. Add fuel and oil, some gear in the storage and you've got 700 lbs. The top frame of the lift, my guess, might add another 300 lbs. Considering the reduced speed when lifting a load, I would think 1500 lbs MAX. Also, dont know about your tractor, but there's not much to do underneath mine except oil drain. Tractors are usually much easier to slide under without jacking, too.

Thanks for the comments guys.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a nice job on that. Is there a mechanical latching system so it doesn't collapse if the hydraulic system fails?
Food or thought! I wouldn't want to be near the lift if it were to fall with the ATV on it. So, I will get some straps to secure the load to the ramps. I have ratchet straps but am thinking more about securing all 4 wheels to the ramps. Thanks for comments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I built a motorcycle lift from a snowmobile lift. I made it so I could convert it to use for either. It works great! I use my battery drill to raise and lower it. It also has castor wheels so I can wheel it around. Now I’m thinking of redoing it to fit our ATVs. I think it has a 1500# weight capacity and a 5000# screw jack.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I built a motorcycle lift from a snowmobile lift. I made it so I could convert it to use for either. It works great! I use my battery drill to raise and lower it. Now I’m thinking of redoing it to fit ATVs. I think it has a 1500# weight capacity and a 5000# screw jack.

Nice Dozerash. My lift wouldn't have worked with my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad because the hydraulic cylinder in the middle and sticking up. Bike sold now. But, I've tried it in the full up position and it works as a table saw outfeed table and a work table. At present I just park one of the 4-wheelers on it along side the other one. Takes up little space in my shop. I need to conserve space. Nice bike you have and good luck adapting it for ATVs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice Dozerash. My lift wouldn't have worked with my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad because the hydraulic cylinder in the middle and sticking up. Bike sold now. But, I've tried it in the full up position and it works as a table saw outfeed table and a work table. At present I just park one of the 4-wheelers on it along side the other one. Takes up little space in my shop. I need to conserve space. Nice bike you have and good luck adapting it for ATVs.
I really like your ATV lift build! Nice workmanship! I had the snowmobile lift so I decided to make it work with the bikes. Mine works similar to yours I think, I just have the screw jack in the center and when it is lowered down all the way it lays pretty flat. I made a hinged ramp to make it easier to push the bikes on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they are both similar. I decided to go with the car ramps. And by that time I was getting pretty tired. When loading and unloading they are kept stable with a couple of bungee straps. My lift sits 7 1/2" off the floor when down. How wide is your top?

So far, no issues. Oh, I found that the HF air powered pump was empty of fluid the other day when I raised it up to 36" to check out the table saw. Apparently it was low from the store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.