My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor of mine has a 2210 he bought new back in late 03 or early 04. Its just a lawn mower for him, with 700-800 hrs. Couple weeks ago his son-in-law went to mow with it and sounded like the engine was gonna fly apart.

Took it to the dealer and they found two grease zerks were dry and shot. There is a driveshaft from the engine to the transmission that has two zerks on it that he never knew about. This is NOT in the book, and the dealer said they agree with his anger, they said yep, its NOT in the book at all. He said parts were around $500 and like $1200 labor to fix.

There is a Deere rep involved in this matter, not sure whats gonna happen. He said you have to remove the floor pan to access the rear zerk, and remove some shield/cover to access the front. He also said you really cant see this driveshaft even from the bottom of the tractor.

He is a farmer, and always services his equipment, and if he knew about these zerks, this wouldnt have happened. Dealer said the newer ones (2305s I guess) have non-greaseable U joints.

If you have a 2210, might want to look into this, cause its not in the manual!! :trink39:

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Man, thanks, newt! My 2210 will surely get those zerks greased now. I can't believe the cost for those things! JD should pay for your friend's repairs...

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Newt,

Thanks for posting this. I just fired off an email to my dealer. :)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newt,

Thanks for posting this. I just fired off an email to my dealer. :)
Let us know what they say. This was new to me, and just what I learned this morning from my neighbor. Im changing the hydro fluid in my 2520 and gonna take a peek up under it to see how mine is.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, thanks, newt! My 2210 will surely get those zerks greased now. I can't believe the cost for those things! JD should pay for your friend's repairs...
He said the dealer or the rep told him that Deere would cover the parts not the labor. He said thats not gonna fly, hes gonna chew some :eck05: cause this SHOULD have been in the owners manual. :lalala:

·
Registered
313 Posts
My 2006 2305 had the zerks (Had as in I don't own it anymore). They were a real bear to get at, but I was able to grind the coupler from my grease gun down so I could get it in the u-joint, and of course having your tongue hanging out with just the right bend in it, was able to lube it.
I just took my MMM off of my 2320 and plan to see if the driveshaft has zerks..
Jake

·
Registered
973 Posts
My 07 2305 has zerks ..Same as Northernjake they are a pain in the --- to get at.
Just found mine last fall and had about 300hrs at that time.
I agree JD should pay for parts and labor.. Not our fault these are not listed in there manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem went to change the fan on the shaft and found the joint were in bad shape.The driveshaft is $500.00 BUT I found the joints they are $40.00 each.John Deere should do something about this.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If its not listed or illustrated in the owners manual , is it in the service manual the shops use ? I d say JD is going to have a class action lawsuit on their hands by all the owners who have purchased one of these 2210's since the joints are either damaged by now depending on how many hours it takes before they fail or about to !

·
Registered
668 Posts
OK I have a "06" 2305 and tomorrow I see myself looking under the tractor for these things.

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Good grief, crawl under your friggin machine and have a look. Maintenance is YOUR responsibility. Just crawled under my 2520 over the weekend and found several zerks that are not shown in the manual. I just grabbed the grease gun and took care of them. No plans to "sue" anyone.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I got my 2305, I checked to see if there were any because my 318 had them... after a few choice words at trying to get grease gun on them, I called the service manager to ask what "special" grease gun the techs use to grease them. He said there were not any zerks on the driveshaft.... he would not take me up on my bet either. The tractor had 280 Hrs on it when I bought it, the u-joints seemed to okay, but I sure had a lot better feeling once they were greased. If my 2320 has them, they will certainly get regular attention.
Jake

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
The front one on my 2305 doesn't have a zerk but the rear one does. Same setup on the old X585 that I had. Throw the FEL on and use it to lift the tractor up and they're much easier to get too. slkpk

1 - 20 of 83 Posts