My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
How close are you to Virginia? I'll come cut your grass!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I bet! If I were buying new, I'd give them a look for sure.

·
Super Moderator
17,263 Posts
Ferris with 4 wheel independent suspension plus suspension seat rides like a Cadillac!
Yes for convention Zero turns I would consider Simplicity or Ferris do to there suspension Driven Both. But I still don't Like the Traditional Lab Bars Walker Is a One Handed Lap Bar Zero turn and the Walkers are almost Like Having a Garden tractor Zero turn The Cub Cadet S/SX series Have almost the Best of Both worlds Drives & Rides Like a Tractor But with Zero Turn Capability (y)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Today is the first time I've noticed an imperfect cut with my X590. Yes, I have noticed light "tire tracks" here and there but not unacceptable in my book. My lawn is nowhere near golf course quality. On Monday I was pressed for time and was mowing at almost full speed. In one section of my lawn it's a side-slope and I was making hard left turns from top to bottom at one end. I can see where the deck dipped down on the right side of the turn and continued across the side-slope in parts. I'm chalking this one up to poor technique but I'm keeping an eye on it. I've been very happy overall.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
253 Posts
Today is the first time I've noticed an imperfect cut with my X590. Yes, I have noticed light "tire tracks" here and there but not unacceptable in my book. My lawn is nowhere near golf course quality. On Monday I was pressed for time and was mowing at almost full speed. In one section of my lawn it's a side-slope and I was making hard left turns from top to bottom at one end. I can see where the deck dipped down on the right side of the turn and continued across the side-slope in parts. I'm chalking this one up to poor technique but I'm keeping an eye on it. I've been very happy overall.
The bigger the deck the more likely this will happen. My little 42” 125 is better suited for those turning into the hill scenarios.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The bigger the deck the more likely this will happen. My little 42” 125 is better suited for those turning into the hill scenarios.
I also have a couple spots like that on my lawn where it is difficult to get an even cut due to width of the deck. My Simplicity was a little better but it had 44" deck. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the cut of my 54" deck.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
My buddy brought over his 2009 x500 with 48" edge deck. I had already mowed so he ran a few times over what i had done. Night and day difference between his cut quality and mine. Both cut cut at 3 inches and deck wheels set 1/4" from a hard surface. So we're on to something. What that is exactly though i have no clue. I did re-list mine so I may never know for sure. But I will keep trying things before it goes though

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Thinking about putting in a order for a Scag Patriot in the next couple of weeks. No dealers I contacted have a used Accel deck sitting around for me to try out. And on top of that i had a few employees tell me that they have had complaints from other customers about uneven cutting with these Accel decks. Deere really screwed up it appears. And even if I decided to keep this and somehow got a edge deck to fit, they are just to expensive for me to justify. So if you are a person looking at buying a Deere with this Accel deck...good luck. And be ready to use the 30 day promise in case.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I guess there are always going to be cons to everything. Both my 42” and 54” accels cut good, with the 54 so far impressing me even more than the 42”. Lots of them out there. They have been out awhile now so I feel like if they were that bad something would give. Hate that yours hasn’t been good to ya!

SCAG isn’t immune. I actually cut grass with a customers Patriot. While the machine is a beast, they machine leaves stragglers of uncut grass all over the place.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Thinking about putting in a order for a Scag Patriot in the next couple of weeks. No dealers I contacted have a used Accel deck sitting around for me to try out. And on top of that i had a few employees tell me that they have had complaints from other customers about uneven cutting with these Accel decks. Deere really screwed up it appears. And even if I decided to keep this and somehow got a edge deck to fit, they are just to expensive for me to justify. So if you are a person looking at buying a Deere with this Accel deck...good luck. And be ready to use the 30 day promise in case.
I too was close to buying a Patriot and several other Scags, but because I only have one need for one and it was a volunteer job. I opted for an older John Deere 757 60” 7-iron deck to limit my investment . With sharp blades, it simply flies through the grass. Best mower-deck I’ve ever used. Deere may make a mess of things at times, but they’ve gotten a lot of thinks right. Sorry about your deck issues.

Right now, getting over Covid comes first. Then mowing with anything will be a treat.

Reactions: wizzo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Correction.. my 42” is an Edge actually.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts