My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Such awesome looking tractors..

One thing, I def have my anti scalp wheels higher up. I am still in the testing phase, but I feel like I have them with about 4/5 holes showing. I can go look.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Such awesome looking tractors..

One thing, I def have my anti scalp wheels higher up. I am still in the testing phase, but I feel like I have them with about 4/5 holes showing. I can go look.
At 3" I usually have the front showing 4 and rear 3. They are on the high side but sometimes I cut a 2.75" and it gets them a little closer. I don't like running that low as you see in the picture but they are within specs 1/4" from hard surface according to Deere. And again after 2+ years, im still trying testing too unfortunately.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yea, I have been cutting at 3" 99% of the time. Those settings sound right.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
It may not help you but I adjust my deck at 3-inches instead of the JD recommended setting of 2.5 or whatever it is. I have the Accel 48-inch deck and don't have the striping problem. I also use the electric on/off mulching kit with JD mulching blades. I also raise my deck on every turn to keep from getting the high/low cut due to the deck dropping in the turn. Maybe a vinyl skirt might help. You could fabricate one just to try to see if it would help. Just duct tape on some cardboard or plastic to the front edge on either side of the roller.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The bigger the deck....the more uneven the cut. Tip speed is IMPORTANT. Commercial mowers have twice the tip speed....it's a safety thing for residential mowers.. JD has a floating deck....ie it is suspended from the tractor. Every bump in the terrain is telegraphed back to the turf. A Simplicity (maybe others) have a riding deck hence the roller rack. The deck sits on the turf and follows the humps and bumps. Yes the deck may be "warped". Check that ALL the blade tips align. But if you want a truly want an even cut buy a mower with a front mounted deck, a Simplicity with a full roller rack or a commercial Zero Turn. I work on a lot of tractors and I am sorry to report that I am not impressed by JD. The 3 B rule applies....didn't Buy it, didn't Build it, didn't Break it. Sorry for for troubles with this reputedly quality equipment.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have heard, here and elsewhere, that tractors as a general rule, don't give you as even a cut as a dedicated, commercial mower. That's not a solution, but just an observation. Maybe you expect too much from JD tractors.

I've seen customers who were thrilled with the paint job my General Contractor's guys delivered, and other customers who thought his guys did not know which end of a paint brush to hold. It's a matter of someone's expectations and knowledge.

I remember a customer who had an ancient walk behind mower w/ hand brakes/belt controls(?) on each hand grip like a motorcycle. His maintenance guy used this enormous machine (60"?) every week, and he mowed the whole lawn one way, then a second time at 90 degrees to the first pass. I asked him why. He said it gave him a more even cut. And this was using commercial machinery.

Interestingly, another customer who had a 100 acre estate, had his live in maintenance guy mow using a big tractor towing 8 or 10 reel type mowers behind in a big formation. No mower decks for this guy.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well when I see others have commented about the poor cut and post up pictures and they look pretty much like mine, what else is there to say? And yes I have seen others that don't seem to have a issue and their end results look nothing like mine or the others with issues. So either my deck is messed up or these decks only perform well under certain circumstances which IMO equals a poor designed deck. Or it's a manufacturer defect in certain ones? Or does it make a difference what the Accel deck is mounted too?

And Deere is the one that made this deck out to be the greatest thing since the shirt pocket. So yes just like others who dropped the money for this, my expectations are high as they should be. I had to triple cut my lawn today just to try and blend all the lines this thing leaves behind. And out of all the mowers I have owned other than the x534, I never have this problem. With how bad this is I would almost kill to have the x534 back and that's saying something. There's a big difference between having high expectations vs unrealistic expectations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well when I see others have commented about the poor cut and post up pictures and they look pretty much like mine, what else is there to say? And yes I have seen others that don't seem to have a issue and their end results look nothing like mine or the others with issues. So either my deck is messed up or these decks only perform well under certain circumstances which IMO equals a poor designed deck. Or it's a manufacturer defect in certain ones? Or does it make a difference what the Accel deck is mounted too?

And Deere is the one that made this deck out to be the greatest thing since the shirt pocket. So yes just like others who dropped the money for this, my expectations are high as they should be. I had to triple cut my lawn today just to try and blend all the lines this thing leaves behind. And out of all the mowers I have owned other than the x534, I never have this problem. With how bad this is I would almost kill to have the x534 back and that's saying something. There's a big difference between having high expectations vs unrealistic expectations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you "informed JD Corporate about this problem? Perhaps you should share this thread with them. My neighbor has a 445.... now granted his lawn looks loke pasture land at best and he doesn't cut often enough but his mower cuts like a side bar mower before the baling hay.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Have you "informed JD Corporate about this problem? Perhaps you should share this thread with them. My neighbor has a 445.... now granted his lawn looks loke pasture land at best and he doesn't cut often enough but his mower cuts like a side bar mower before the baling hay.
Nah not gonna waste my time on the phone with Deere. And all they'll say is "it's between the dealer and me" anyways. To be honest, I am pretty much at ends with this. Not sure at this point if I will even attempt putting my neighbors edge deck on or not. But if I do and it fits then I will post a update via good-bad or a draw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nah not gonna waste my time on the phone with Deere. And all they'll say is "it's between the dealer and me" anyways. To be honest, I am pretty much at ends with this. Not sure at this point if I will even attempt putting my neighbors edge deck on or not. But if I do and it fits then I will post a update via good-bad or a draw.
I have not read all the posts so this may have been suggested.....replace the spindle pulleys with smaller pulleys to increase the blade tip speed. You will then need a shorter belt. More tip speed will give you better suction, lifting the grass before it is cut. An engineer from Simplicity in Port Washington (before Briggs Bought) told me the first 1/4" of the blade does 90% of the cutting. They used slow-mo photography to study deck design.You will need to figure out how much smaller to achieve the desired RPM. I believe this would provide the desired result. I had aRanch King mower (MTD) many years ago with similar issues. I selected my cutting height by setting the anti-scalp wheels at the desired cut height. Then I lowered the deck ALL the way to the lowest setting to cut. In essence, I turned it into a Simplicity system.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Pretty sure the Edge and Accel decks are not interchangeable on the X500 series. I would still be interested in seeing the test where you mow your neighbor's lawn and he mows yours.

You have said that the results look much worse in person than in the pictures. Your lawn is WAY nicer than mine, so I can understand how disappointed you are in the cut quality. I have an X534 and I was not happy with the cut quality, perhaps after reading about your experience with it. I thought it was because of the way it tilts the deck when turning. But, then I looked at my lawn/pasture and it is anything but smooth and uniform. So, the difference in turns would be dwarfed by the localized undulations (gopher/mole/voles love our property as if it was theirs 😁). I took a closer look at the cut and what I was seeing. It turns out for my lawn it is mostly the tire tracks from the turf tires. I tried striping, but couldn't get something that was much better. I have new HDAP tires that help somewhat, but the X534 is just heavier than my X300 and leaves bigger more noticeable tracks. My X749 didn't appear to do better, or worse really.

Since cut quality is so important to you, you might be better served with a dedicated cutting machine. I think a front mount mower would be best for cut quality.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If you haven’t talked to your dealer or Deere, you’ve missed out on your opportunity to get it fixed. If it’s still under warranty, talk to the dealer and by all means, show him pictures. By the pictures you posted, the center blade is cutting lower than the outside two. Since it shows up in the middle, it’s the center blade. If you haven’t verified the blade tips aren’t matched in height to the outside two blades, do that as a minimum before going further on your own. Every product has some chance of something wrong. It can only get fixed by the manufacturer if they know about it. Talk to the dealer soon. If you had done that in the first 30 days, you could have just said you wanted a different machine using the Deere 30 day guarantee. Even now, it should get fixed under warranty. That kind of cut is not due to grass type or conditions.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
I skimmed through the posts and didn't see if you have tried this; Have you attempted to set the front and rear of the blades even with each other, instead of low in the front? It seems to me, with the center blade being ahead of the outer two, the center would produce a lower cut than the sides. Perhaps making them all even would correct it. At this point, it's worth a shot, right? Lol

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,516 Posts
It is rare to see a lawn that big that looks so nice....I would keep my eyes open for a reel style gang mower and just pull it behind the tractor...I know it is old school...but that would look like a Major League Baseball stadium lawn...what fertilizer do you use?
I have to agree on using something different, all decks will leave a pattern of lines (from wheels on tractor, deck wheels hanging to low, deck knocking the grass over, blade style, deck buildup, dull blades, deck/spindle(s) level to each other, etc). But always changing your mow pattern helps too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I cut year after year with my ******** DYT 4000 and achieve a respectable cut. When I really want to put on the dog, I use my Simplicity. I don't have to get out a micrometer to measure deck level or a digital tire pressure gauge to air the tires. It just works. If my cheapy mower provides a good cut.....shouldn't a JD be able to deliver same or better? There is something wrong here. Could be operator error but I doubt it. I believe the equipment is at fault.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ive owned a bunch of different machines. Best cut ever for me is my current Exmark. The cut on my old 455 was fine, but not too different from what you posted. I decided I wanted something better and sold the 455 to buy a pure mowing machine. I wont go back to a tractor for mowing purposes again. That said, there is nothing worse than being disappointed in a big purchase. Good luck and hope you can find a solution that makes you happy with the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
17,263 Posts
Ive owned a bunch of different machines. Best cut ever for me is my current Exmark. The cut on my old 455 was fine, but not too different from what you posted. I decided I wanted something better and sold the 455 to buy a pure mowing machine. I wont go back to a tractor for mowing purposes again. That said, there is nothing worse than being disappointed in a big purchase. Good luck and hope you can find a solution that makes you happy with the outcome.
Your a Brave Man I can't stand the ride On Exmarks/Toro Maybe if they Put that Toro My Ride On it it would be alright I Mow with a Cub Cadet XT3 and it Puts the Deere 54C deck I have to shame on the Cut except for My Deere 42C But I am Headed for Cub Cadet Z force SX as I find them Pretty comfortable. I wouldn't Mind a Exmark Navigator or Toro 8000 series as all They are Is a Walker Mower In Exmark/Toro Paint (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep...a commercial machine with high tip speed, made by Toro., nothing but quality. When I am on vacation the guy that cuts my lawn uses an Exmark. That machine sucks the grass up, clips the tips and looks like a flat top from a good barber.
Your a Brave Man I can't stand the ride On Exmarks/Toro Maybe if they Put that Toro My Ride On it it would be alright I Mow with a Cub Cadet XT3 and it Puts the Deere 54C deck I have to shame on the Cut except for My Deere 42C But I am Headed for Cub Cadet Z force SX as I find them Pretty comfortable. I wouldn't Mind a Exmark Navigator or Toro 8000 series as all They are Is a Walker Mower In Exmark/Toro Paint (y)

·
Registered
309 Posts
The suspension seat helps and fortunately I don’t have too many bumps to deal with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 95 Posts