My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
How about showing your dealer page 7 in the brochure and tell them your machine is doing the same. Ask them to discuss it with the zone rep and see if it's something that corporate knows about and has a solution for?

Never seen a deck cut with a line like that unless it wasn't level and you've ruled that out.

However, now that I think of it, I think there's a thread where someone had an issue with an uneneven cut and the issue was the blades weren't all on a level plane. Perhaps you can take the deck off, flip it upside down on saw horses and then lay a straight edge across the blades and see what you get.
You have a good memory. Yes one of those threads were mine from last year. Turned out to be not uncommon for the center blade to be a little lower than the outer ones. Mines sits lower, my neighbor who had a ztr with the 48 Accel sat lower and my dads x530 with the 54 edge deck sits lower.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It seems others have had issues with the 48" deck.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It seems others have had issues with the 48" deck.
Holy Crap that's horrid looking! Haven't seen that thread before. And it appears Deere and the owner never got it resolved either.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know that it's not always practical to have two machines, but how about selling the X590 and then buying a "mule" to pull stuff with and another Scag?

That's what I do. About 10 years ago I purchased a used GT225 for $1600 for Johnny Bucket use, etc and had an Exmark walk behind to cut with. Then got the Scag Patriot because walking was killing my knees.

With Covid, selling the X590 shouldn't be hard but don't know what the availability of new machines are where you are. Here in CT new machines are hard to come by.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I know that it's not always practical to have two machines, but how about selling the X590 and then buying a "mule" to pull stuff with and another Scag?

That's what I do. About 10 years ago I purchased a used GT225 for $1600 for Johnny Bucket use, etc and had an Exmark walk behind to cut with. Then got the Scag Patriot because walking was killing my knees.

With Covid, selling the X590 shouldn't be hard but don't know what the availability of new machines are where you are. Here in CT new machines are hard to come by.
I actually had that setup a few years back. I had my liberty z and my grandpa's 325 Deere. Then a family member wanted the 325 so I gave it to them. They never uses it and gave to another family member. But it sat outside covered up 99% of the time I had it. Anyways this has crossed my mind about going back to that but I would really like to stick to just one machine.

I did have my x590 up for sale not too long ago for about a week. I had it priced at $6,500 and had a ton of interest. But I again had second thoughts and took my ad down. I mean other than the cut quality, the x590 itself is doing well right now.

And as for another Scag right now I would have to pass. There are a lot of complaints over non starts after warmed up and paint flaking off. I saw these on numerous Facebook Scag groups I had joined a few months back. So it's clear to me that Scag has a few quality control issues they need to address. Rumour has it that the covid shutdown hit them really hard over the past year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
FWIW, my GT225 sits outside year- round under a waterproof cover. I take the battery out in winter and put copper mesh in 3 strategic places to keep mice out of the engine. No issues otherwise.

Can't speak for the QC issues with Scag. Purchased mine 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear that you're having the issues that you're having with the X590.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
To try and remove some variables, what about something like this? Drive forward into an un-mowed area, and stop. Turn the blades on for a few seconds. Turn them off again, let them stop fully, and back up straight, out of that area.

Now you can see what each blade is doing in a single location, without the rear wheels driving over that grass.

If, for instance, the middle blade is lower than the others, that should be easier to see, since you'll have 3 distinct cut circles.

There's no steering involved, there's no bouncing over bumps, etc. It's not truly representative of normal mowing, but it would try to simplify the situation somewhat.

Just curious, is it possible to add rollers behind the deck, to give something more like Simplicity stripes?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
FWIW, my GT225 sits outside year- round under a waterproof cover. I take the battery out in winter and put copper mesh in 3 strategic places to keep mice out of the engine. No issues otherwise.

Can't speak for the QC issues with Scag. Purchased mine 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear that you're having the issues that you're having with the X590.
Yeah I have been out of the loop somewhat with Scag the past couple of years so not sure myself.

To try and remove some variables, what about something like this? Drive forward into an un-mowed area, and stop. Turn the blades on for a few seconds. Turn them off again, let them stop fully, and back up straight, out of that area.

Now you can see what each blade is doing in a single location, without the rear wheels driving over that grass.

If, for instance, the middle blade is lower than the others, that should be easier to see, since you'll have 3 distinct cut circles.

There's no steering involved, there's no bouncing over bumps, etc. It's not truly representative of normal mowing, but it would try to simplify the situation somewhat.

Just curious, is it possible to add rollers behind the deck, to give something more like Simplicity stripes?
Yeah I will give this a try. I know there's a brush that Deere sales that mounts to the rear of the deck to stripe the yard.

·
Registered
253 Posts

I like this idea...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok not so much with the X590 itself but this 48" Accel deck. Those that have followed me know that I have been dealing with a poor cutting deck for some time. I have leveled this deck everyway from Sunday. I have tried my mulch on demand with mulching blades, standard blades and G5's that I also bought. I have adjusted the deck wheels from as little as 1/8" to a 1/2"+ from the ground. I have even tried staggering the gauge wheels height front to rear. I have adjusted the tire pressure everywhere to factory specs to lower and even higher. I even went so far as to replacing the deck spindles as a last ditch effort. All of the above has done nothing to address the lines all over my yard. The best I can do it seems is to pretty much set the gauge wheels on the ground but even that doesn't complety address the issue. Nevermind trying to trim around tree's with it set this way.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has a unit with a Accel deck that I can compare mine to. Everyone I know has the last "gen" edge deck setup. I feel confident the problem is in the deck and not the X590 but....?????

So I'm at the point i need to see what other options are out there. Not sure what direction this will lead me but I just can't take this any longer. It's not fun knowing that before you even start to mow what the end results will look like.
Is it possible that the tractor is warped or the deck? So no matter how level it seems or you think. Its actually more uneven. I don't know the history and am totally spit balling this

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I suppose it is possible, but @subdivisionbigdog has been measuring the blade to ground distance, which should eliminate any unevenness in the frame, unless that varies as it moves.

I think part of it is the grass in his yard is very unforgiving and he has very high expectations. I know that I have been obsessed by the marks that the tires on my X534 leave. I even found that on some videos from Deere I could see the same effect. I bought new HDAP style tires to see if that made a difference. I don't remember seeing this with my X300 that uses bar tires. The HDAP tires leave less bent grass, but it is still visible for days.

Interesting idea, I hope we eventually learn the cause.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Is it possible that the tractor is warped or the deck? So no matter how level it seems or you think. Its actually more uneven. I don't know the history and am totally spit balling this
It could be but I haven't found any evidence yet. My dealer had this a few times last year addressing the sticking transmission pedal deal. Is it possible they hit something sure. The thing is that every time they picked it up, only once did I leave the deck on. And I never found any bent blades or marks on the deck anywhere. And no I can't recall if it was doing this before or not unfortunately I think becuase I was so focused on the other issue which has been fixed.

And it has become more clear to me and other's that this is more than likely a design issue. I will post up new pictures after I mow again. And to clarify to others (not you), we are not talking about tire marks or where the tire presses the grass down. What I'm seeing is very clear crisp lines left everywhere.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wonder if they could lend you a loaner, both a 48" and a 54" deck to do some checking..

I know probably highly unlikely..

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Oh they'll totally give you a loaner, for around $8k or so ;)

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are saying what I think you are well you are no alone. Been battling a similar problem for the last 15 years. It is a combination of different factors to me. I have a 316 with Ag tires and weights which is a must for my terrain. From what I can determine the weight of the machine is pressing the grass down before the mower can get it cut. Looks fine once it’s cut but within a couple hours what was flattened straightens back up and appears that I missed some. What has helped some is not cutting the regular width on subsequent passes. In the words letting the front tires just a couple inches from the next pass. Sounds silly I know but it has helped some. Another contributing factor might be the type of grass. I am cutting a Blue Grass & Red fescue (75%_25%). Darn hard to cut. As a last factor the deck may not be sealed properly which might affect the force needed to draw the grass up to the blades. A neighbor installed rubber flaps to his deck when he installed mulching blades and said it did wonders. Another silly thought but hey. I don’t use a discharge attachment either. Ok I have gave my 2cents worth so you are getting just what you paid for. Good luck

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

Not sure i see much here. We have had like 3+ days of rain. So no way I could cut at 2.5". But I did set the deck to 2.5" and just dropped it. My camera was acting a little weird in terms a yellow hue in the photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Are there height differences where the tips of blades 1&2, and 2&3 come together, for instance?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Are there height differences where the tips of blades 1&2, and 2&3 come together, for instance?
Man if there is it's minuscule just looking. Now to me the left side doesn't look quite the same as the middle and discharge side. With the yard cut now, I will try to remember to go out and take another picture tomorrow. And tonight I did a different pattern at 3" and the lines where still visible. I took pictures but they didn't turn out good enough for me to bother posting. My phone liked the x590 though tonight.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 95 Posts