My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not so much with the X590 itself but this 48" Accel deck. Those that have followed me know that I have been dealing with a poor cutting deck for some time. I have leveled this deck everyway from Sunday. I have tried my mulch on demand with mulching blades, standard blades and G5's that I also bought. I have adjusted the deck wheels from as little as 1/8" to a 1/2"+ from the ground. I have even tried staggering the gauge wheels height front to rear. I have adjusted the tire pressure everywhere to factory specs to lower and even higher. I even went so far as to replacing the deck spindles as a last ditch effort. All of the above has done nothing to address the lines all over my yard. The best I can do it seems is to pretty much set the gauge wheels on the ground but even that doesn't complety address the issue. Nevermind trying to trim around tree's with it set this way.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has a unit with a Accel deck that I can compare mine to. Everyone I know has the last "gen" edge deck setup. I feel confident the problem is in the deck and not the X590 but....?????

So I'm at the point i need to see what other options are out there. Not sure what direction this will lead me but I just can't take this any longer. It's not fun knowing that before you even start to mow what the end results will look like.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I don't remember seeing any pictures. I know I was not happy with the cut of my X534 when I got it. After spending some time analyzing it, I don't think my complaint is the same as yours was. Yes, there is difference side to side depending on which way the wheels are turned (one side goes slightly lower than straight and the other side goes slightly higher). The higher part doesn't matter too much, because you can get it by going straight.

The thing that I really noticed was that the turf tires really flatten the grass and it looks like an interesting rolled/striped lawn. I recently got HDAP style tires and that does less of the striping. I also have really uneven property. The gophers, voles, and moles are very active, which doesn't help.

My wife thinks I am nuts. She says it looks great. She might be right, possibly about both things.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was cut at 2.75" and looks way worse in person than it shows in the photos. And that's not where the tires pressed the grass down.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
It is hard to get a sense of scale from the pictures. I see something that looks like it could be tire tracks possibly from mowing the same pattern with a fairly heavy machine.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I don't think the Edge deck will fit on the X590. If Deere or your dealer haven't been able to figure it out, maybe it is time for a different machine?

You have done everything that can be done except for a different mower.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I change my pattern regularly. It will do it in any direction. No video and i have never experienced this with any other unit on my yard. Here is just one video that also shows exactly what I'm seeing. Go to the 8:30 mark and watch the strips the guy makes just going straight. It only shows it for a few seconds then cuts away. Helps to watch it in slow-mo.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My x534 didn't cut level unless the gauge wheels were pretty much on the ground. But at least I could manipulate it somewhat. This thing is jacked up. So far this year, five people have mentioned my deck doesn't appear to be level. :mad:

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
341 Posts
Wow! I'd be embarrassed to let my neighbors see the job that deck produces.
John Deere decks never gave a decent cut on all the different models I ever worked with.
The wheel marks, un-even cut and the very noticeable lines left would upset anybody.
John Deere experiments too much every season and still doesn't get it right yet unfortunately, they would be a lot better off with the old type decks that did a nicer job than the new ones they keep experimenting with, and they seriously have to do something about the wheel marks they leave on the grass and un-even cut.
A lot of it has to do with how they designed the inside of the deck and what they did with the air-flow as to how they re-directed it that caused a lot of the problems.
It lifts the grass better on one side than the other side even though the blade height might be the same. One side it 'Folds' the grass over more than the other side so it isn't cut the same height. The other side 'Lifts' it more.
A 'True Mulch' type deck doesn't work as well when you discharge or bag as it does when you mulch, and vice versa with a true discharge/bag type deck when you try to mulch with it, you really can't have it do the best of both worlds, or do both and expect a really good quality cut. you design it to either mulch and do a good job there, or design it to bag/discharge and work good there, you can't get them to do both, you will only get partially good then.
If you want really small fine pieces when you mulch, using 2 blades per spindle cut them a lot finer like on the Honda lawn mowers, but the deck isn't designed for that set-up to work. Also set the front blade height around 1/4" higher than the rear heights so it cuts it twice on the first pass over it, or 4 times if you have twin blades.

·
blinged out
1,468 Posts
I think the heavier tractors are affectting the cut quality unless you go very slowly! my retired neighbour has an x590/48" deep and his cut results are immaculate but he likely cuts at 1.5-2mph because he can.. I'm not too particular about perfection I just get er done 2 x5"s/54" edge extra! another neighbour has a newer 240 it cuts great at 5mph!

·
Super Moderator
36,735 Posts
Deck design has a lot to do with it, I never cared for the cut that I got from my 46" deck, the 48" replacement deck is a little better, both the 50" and the 38" inch gave a great cut. There have been several threads about the Accel deck poor cutting quality. I do know that the 48 in. deck cut will improve if I've cleaned/scraped the deck out and there is no grass stuck to it underneath.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you tried removing the mod baffles and just side discharge just to see if the cut improves? I know a lot of guys that cut grass for a living have not had good results with the mod deck, this is in 900 series zero turns. I have the same exact deck as you on a Z355e zero turn, here's what I did. When I got the mower, it was not setup right, we all know this. I tried the John Deere tool, set tire pressure first, 15 front, 10 rear, leveled side to side, dropped the front 1/4 inch. Looked OK, not great. Watched a guy setup, I think a Scag, on you tube. He used a spark plug socket, right on the tips of the blades, side to side, then checked the rake , Scag's setup is level deck, I dropped the front 1/4 inch. Set the gauge wheels where they should be, and cut improved a lot. 2 things I can tell you, when going side to side,remember when you drop one side, you raise the other, and when you drop the front, get the same tension on both ends of the bolts, make sure that u-bolt is seated in the deck hooks tightly. If not the deck will shake, I measure the thread ends exposed beyond the nuts. Make them equal. If you do need a small adjustment, after this procedure, it won't be much. A lot of those professionals actually go to standard blades and blockoff plates to mulch, because they don't like to mulch,it takes too much time.I also had a L120 years ago, 48" edge deck, that deck would be covered with clippings,and me too, when I got done. This Accel deck is completely opposite, hardly any clippings on the deck, and I'm clean. I'm cutting bermuda and fescue in the shade BTW.

·
Super Moderator
10,239 Posts
It is rare to see a lawn that big that looks so nice....I would keep my eyes open for a reel style gang mower and just pull it behind the tractor...I know it is old school...but that would look like a Major League Baseball stadium lawn...what fertilizer do you use?

·
Professional Homeowner
7,965 Posts
It is rare to see a lawn that big that looks so nice....I would keep my eyes open for a reel style gang mower and just pull it behind the tractor...I know it is old school...but that would look like a Major League Baseball stadium lawn...what fertilizer do you use?
You beat me to the compliment. Not just about the lawn, though - everything in those pictures looks immaculate. Very nice spread!

one thought that I’ve only seen once in a Toro deck I had. The belt on my deck was SO TIGHT that the spindles (or deck shell) tweaked crooked under belt tension. I had no clue what to do with it other than getting rid of it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Using my X540 from 2013 onwards, I've noticed I'll get the same lines in my lawn due to some frustratingly simple things that took me a while to figure out. I realize you've owned tractor/mowers for at least as long as I have, so you've probably figured out the same things over time.

1) suitcase weights have to 'stay' where they are along the support bracket from where they were when the deck was leveled. Any shifting of the weights along that bracket will affect the cut. And, unless those weights are locked in place, they will shift around.
2) keeping equal air pressure in the tires on both sides of the tractor is obviously important.
3) if using the bagger attachment, the deck must be leveled with the bagger and blower attached.
4) also, if using the bagger attachment, one of the bags will tend to fill up quicker than the others. This will also shift the load off-center from your tractor and 'tilt' the mower deck just enough where you may develop that uneven cut. When I'm in the mood to get an even cut, I'll stop every so often to redistribute the cuttings, or dump the cuttings before continuing.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for compliments! It's a fine fesque mix which I cut at between 2.75" to 3 1/4 max. This spring i threw down 2 apps of lebanonturf proscape confront/dimension. And again I wish my camera would pickup the true scope of the lines this leaves behind.

As for the deck, I forgot to mention that it still leaves strips while side discharging (no mulch kit installed). I tried the mulching kit about a month ago but removed it as it was completely clogged up after only a few mows. And so far this spring I am averaging only 4 days between mows and my irrigation system has yet been turned on. When I took the deck out I swear it had to weigh a few hundred pounds.

Also I don't mow that fast by any means. My average is just shy of 3 mph. And its only that high becuase when I do a double cut from time to time, of course my speed is higher on the second pass to really disperse the clippings.

The deck is always looked at every few mows to make sure it doesn't have excessive build up. Now I'm in no way saying it's kept factory new but definitely not much under it at any time other than when I had the mulch kit installed.

In terms if deck level methods...
I have tried a 1/8" to a 1/4" rake front to rear. I have used the onboard leveling system, the gauge tool, even 2x4's. The worst cut comes from using the onboard system by far. I will double check the linkages and make sure they are not hung up somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
It amazes me that with all JD's resources that they struggle with the cutting performance of very expensive machines. I'm also intrigued that there are aftermarket loaders, thatcher's, pluggers, etc. but to my knowledge, I have not seen any fabricated aftermarket decks, or for that matter, the shell is NLA. I know they want us to buy new once the deck rusts away but the machine lasts much longer than what most of us purchased it for. I have a JD 455 with the 60" deck and would love to have the option available to buy a fabricated deck that cut like a Simplicity.

CCMoe

Reactions: MARK (LI)
1 - 20 of 102 Posts