My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess that's what I get for assuming... I know others have done this, I think... But I found that the commercial tank isn't just a direct fit onto the M series from a 10590! I believe there's a couple brackets on the shroud that are missing from these, where it appears there should be 2 larger bolts on either side of the shroud, though they line up with the hanger brackets that are there for the standard tank, the commercial tank is narrower on the sides and doesn't fit around the shroud, it actually sits on it. Plus the heavy metal bracket on the underside lacks the hole for the fuel valve and the 2 bolt holes for the tank.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, My M series commercial has the fuel shut off on the take just like the older commercials, off to the side. That one is centered in the tank. I didnt know they made 2 tanks
I didn't either, until now...

Someone else posted about their commercial M just recently and was complaining about the fuel shut-off being up under the tank in the center like that, it's hard to reach was his issue, so I assumed that was just how the commercial tanks are.

Do you have any pics posted of yours, close up of the tank on top and sides at least?

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success! With a little bit of failure mixed in...

The FAIL part is that on the top of the tank, where it bolts to the shroud on the engine, I ASSumed that the plastic in that area would be totally solid, one would think so, there's a hole right in the middle of it! And I needed to shave off some of the plastic there to make the tank fit properly with the round curve of the shroud. No problem, dremel tool and the sanding cylinder and whittled away, until there was a HOLE. Ok, thought surely that hole wouldn't be connected to the inside of the tank, look where it's at... Nope, it's part of the fuel tank and I just put not one, but 2 holes in it :banghead3 :crybaby:

I filled them with a good plug of black RTV silicone though, which hopefully will be good to plug the hole since there's no fuel pushing against this area, only what will slosh up there.

Anyway, I drilled a 1.5" hole in the bracket that holds the bottom, then using the 2 tabs that are on the shroud already on the sides made "shims" of 4 5/16" nuts stacked, drilled and tapped out the hole on the bottom of that tab for 1/4" bolts, then located the holes on the bottom bracket and drilled those. Got it mounted up and the lines all flow pretty nicely!

Now to attempt to paint the green covers. Wish I had more than just ONE exhaust cover. I have 3 air cleaner covers and just 1 exhaust. (that way if it fails I have a back-up plan)

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I know it looks like the tank is rotated around further to the exhaust side, but what's hard to see in the first picture is the air cleaner cover has a tab on the black part, that's under the green cover, that extends past the green part and is angled down. The tank is actually almost the same distance from that as it is the exhaust cover...

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pics! Wish I would have waited for them! It appears that the "tabs" that I thought extended too far where the tank bolts on the top were supposed to be that way and they DO sit on top of the shroud. Ugh... I will make it work though! Just a little more tweaking on the mounts to get it to sit right.

Found that this engine did for sure have the BBC flywheel on it, so I'm swapping it with the old one. Though on a non-BBC model the heavier flywheel wouldn't matter at all. It would only matter if you had the lighter one on the BBC. And yes, it's about double the weight! It appears to be cast iron, machined, and coated with an aluminium coating of sorts. The light one is obviously alumnium.

·
Lawn-Boys Everywhere
1,303 Posts
Not great pictures, but just some i took earlier this yr.

I can't make out the tag number on this, what model number is it? My picture collection of commercial M lawnboy mowers is a little weak. Always looking for more pictures.

bruce...

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you arnt planing to actually push that tank are you? comm m is the one model i dont have that i need for my collection but it would have to be sp
Mine? Heck no, it's self propelled!

I have seen other members post that their push M models do actually puh farily easily. Without the resistance of the gears and the weight of all the drive system... I'd stilll not want to push it on a hilly lawn or one being mowed high!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Bruce, i will try and get a model number asap, i dont know the model number off hand, i also have a better picture of it when i get the model number.

Dan, i actually do use it and have used it quite a few times. It rolls just as easy if not easier than a 22260 commercial push. The ball bearing wheels make it roll so easy and everything on that machine is tight so it rolls strait too. I dont mind it. Then again im not mowing huge hills either. When i feel lazy the 22261 3 speed comes out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.