My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a JD LX288 with the 48 PWRFLO QT (M00PFK) attachment and rear bagger that I seem to be having issues with the belt I was hoping somebody can assist me with.

I incorrectly found the JD part number for the belt to be M147278 and picked up the ½”x 90” equivalent (A88) which ended up being too long (was not for the QT Quick-Tatch version- my bad)!!
I finally found the correct JD part M138974 which I was told was an 80” belt so I purchased an A78 equivalent belt and installed it, however upon engaging the belt it smoked and started to burn up. Checked all the spindles and they appear fine (free flowing) and was thinking the belt may be the wrong size (little loose). I found some information that the belt is actually 79” so I would need an A77; however before I purchased yet another belt I wanted to see if anybody know the proper equivalent belt for M138974 , my thoughts that a 1” OD difference (effective diameter ~0.5”) should not be an issue and that there is something else possibly going on? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
May have posted this in the wrong forum.

Shorter question is would an incorrect belt (1" longer outside diameter) cause the belt to burn up and not drive the pullies due to lack of tension? thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
If I've got this correct, you bought an "aftermarket equivalent" belt.

While I can't tell you why, I've learned over and over again that your best bet is to buy the correct belt from John Deere. Something about JD belts is different that your standard V belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I've got this correct, you bought an "aftermarket equivalent" belt.

While I can't tell you why, I've learned over and over again that your best bet is to buy the correct belt from John Deere. Something about JD belts is different that your standard V belt.

Thanks bruceatlam for the reply, that is good to know. I would be curious to learn what can be different besides maybe the length can be a little off and of course the pricing!!! Thanks again.

·
blinged out
1,067 Posts
I run an aftermarket belt on my PF, simply because I had to modify it to fit the deck,bought a belt 2" shorter than the one that came with it, works great without any issue! I think you need to take a look at the powerflow bearings and impeller. make sure it turns freely,and none of the belt guides are hanging up the belt! My neighbour who has a new x590 with dealer installed PF has been having belt issues! I'm kind of a run it and figure it out person! I hear what the other posters are saying about oem belts, for high load like a snowblower I quite agree the oem belt works better than an after market [simply because Deere pulleys have a different V angle]. I don't consider a PF high load or they would have used a "B' belt. Keep trying you get it figured out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run an aftermarket belt on my PF, simply because I had to modify it to fit the deck,bought a belt 2" shorter than the one that came with it, works great without any issue! I think you need to take a look at the powerflow bearings and impeller. make sure it turns freely,and none of the belt guides are hanging up the belt! My neighbour who has a new x590 with dealer installed PF has been having belt issues! I'm kind of a run it and figure it out person! I hear what the other posters are saying about oem belts, for high load like a snowblower I quite agree the oem belt works better than an after market [simply because Deere pulleys have a different V angle]. I don't consider a PF high load or they would have used a "B' belt. Keep trying you get it figured out!

Thanks donmac for the reply. I will check the PF bearing and impeller but when I checked everything appeared to be free flowing and bearing seemed fine. I think I will give the 1" shorter belt a try and see if that works. thanks again.

·
Registered
467 Posts
John Deere uses a special pulley and belt: 38º. Any/ALL off the shelf belts are 40º. Two degrees doesn't sound like much, but it's enough for the belt to ride on the very top. This wears quickly, the belt runs lower in the pulley, wears quickly again, and on & on. Soon no adjustment left/belt slips...as it's only driven by the flat on the bottom of the pulley groove.

The best, and cheapest in the end, is a JD belt. Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John Deere uses a special pulley and belt: 38º. Any/ALL off the shelf belts are 40º. Two degrees doesn't sound like much, but it's enough for the belt to ride on the very top. This wears quickly, the belt runs lower in the pulley, wears quickly again, and on & on. Soon no adjustment left/belt slips...as it's only driven by the flat on the bottom of the pulley groove.

The best, and cheapest in the end, is a JD belt. Bob

Bob, Thanks for posting this info. Very informative!! Makes sense, I guess I was hoping to save some $ on a $5 Vbelt vs a $40 JD belt due to the very occasional use of the Power flow, however it sounds like I should just pick up a JD belt and be done with it. thanks again!

·
blinged out
1,067 Posts
the belt that came with my PF is john deere TCU16122 CPT 0214 ? was suppose to be for 54" deck, way to long for edge xtra maybe for different 54"
I'm running Dayco L497 it was $50 not $5.

if anybody needs the jd belt it's no good to me and doesnt fit my neighbours 590 48"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts