My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planted some Martha Washington last Spring. Cut down in the fall. This Spring I see shoots about 3 feet tall. Do I cut them down again?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Shoots should be ready to eat this year.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my hope. But when do i cut them? How tall do I let them go? Will they continue to sprout new shoots after I cut them down?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
3ft is getting pretty tall. If they get too tall they will become woody. Not sure but probably won't sprout again till next spring.
Most are harvested about 12 inches or so.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Second year you will want to harvest sparingly. The sprouts that are 3 ft tall I would leave as they will be getting woody. Once they start ferning out I would leave them. They are storing energy for the next year.
But you can harvest some of the shorter sprouts that come up.
I just bend them and they will break where they are good.
Third year you can harvest quite a bit.
I'm in my third year on my bed and have taken my 3rd cutting.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
They LOVE horse manure and will reward you handsomely.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I start letting them go once June swings around. They need to be growing in the summer so they can start storing energy in their roots for next year.

It's a bit of a trick learning how much you can pick. When you're in the fall look at how much fern you have. If it's a big thick wad of fern that's not getting much light then you didn't pick enough.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I start letting them go once June swings around. They need to be growing in the summer so they can start storing energy in their roots for next year.

It's a bit of a trick learning how much you can pick. When you're in the fall look at how much fern you have. If it's a big thick wad of fern that's not getting much light then you didn't pick enough.
You make a good point, Now if I could just know in May & June what they would look like in the fall I could possibly pick more? Guess it still comes down to Trail and Error.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts