My Tractor Forum banner

Ashes in the Compost?

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  LLigetfa 
#1 ·
Is it Ok to put ashes from my brush fires and woodstove into my leaf compost pile? The end result will be spread on the lawn and core aerated in the spring.

#3 ·
Put your ash in the driveway.
Sprinkle in over slick spots and instant traction.

#6 ·
I had 2 sick looking store bought apple trees and was told to dump it around the base of them,even though they did not produce fruit this year, they looked 100% better ,alot more leaves and healthier.

#7 ·
Don't put it on your driveway cuz it will stick to yer boots and carry into the house.

I dump all my ashes from my stove and from my outdoor burn pile in with my compost. Growing up on the farm, when we were clearing land, all the small stuff went on the burn pile and you could see where the burn piles were because the crop there was twice as tall as everywhere else.

#9 ·
In Winter the early morning sun hits my driveway hill at about 45º. I get the snow off by 7:30AM and put down a very light application of stove ash. Even at sub freezing temps, the sun will melt the snow by noon as the dark ash absorbs the sun's heat. Since the pavement is "wavy" there's always some icy patches left the blower/plow cutting edges don't get. After noon the pines shade the driveway for the rest of the day.

Oh yeah, my "outdoor boots" stay out on the porch so ashes on my kitchen floor never are a problem. Cat litter, fuzz balls, crumbs, stray cat kibble, post-its that have lost their stickum and fell off the microwave, refrigerator and cabinet doors are a problem but not wood ashes.:ROF

#11 ·
I always just make the brush burn pile in the crop area then work in the ashes right along with whatever else I can get to go under the plow!--have good luck with doing that.--dont have a wood stove, but if I did, I would either spread the ash on the garden direct or put it in the compost pile,--either way would be great!

HH is right about ashes helping melt the ice and snow from the drive too!!---It lasts longer than salt and is there for the next snow/ice cover and the sun will be absorbed by it helping with that go around! thanks; sonny

#14 ·
Ash is the best thing for compost. It adds potassium, and most importantly, raises the ph level of the soil.
it's a known fact that the soil left after a forest fire is much richer than before.
We burn two stoves in the winter. As someone else mentioned, I'll simply pour them out in the garden during winter, and spread them out.

#16 ·
yeah deffinnently put them in the garden makes the yields for potatos turn alot better especially for sweet taters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.