My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we go from fall to winter, who is modifying or updating their tractor? Sometime in November I will remove the MMM, perform annual maintenance to it, and then convert the summer machine to a winter machine by reinstalling my snow blower? My snow blower was not used ONCE last season, so it is still quite ready to go (but I do want to soak the chain in oil for a few weeks). But what are your plans? I'm always looking for ideas on how to improve my tractor or my experience with it.

·
5,857 Posts
Hold on a minute...Summer is not officially over yet...another week or so is left!....The blower manual for my Simplicity says to use chainsaw oil on it...most people figure ...oil is oil...but the chainsaw oil is supposed to be kind of sticky so it doesn't fly off ...as you pointed out....last Winter was mild with little snow ( Thank you , God) ...I think this year is going to make up for it and we are going to get slammed...so it does pay to be prepared (Boy Scout Motto)

·
Kioti SCUT
391 Posts
I added a 3PH aerator, and posted the results in the SCUT-implements forum. I'm done with the aerator for this year, and just put it away. My ballast box is back on the tractor as I continue to cut up and drag out fallen trees from the storm. I'll wait until early December, then I'll swap the ballast box for my rear blade and be ready for snow. Cal

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hold on a minute...Summer is not officially over yet...another week or so is left!....
Understood and agreed. I just thought I'd get this question out early, this way if someone makes a suggestion that I want to implement, I have the time to get the parts together before November.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I did pick up the Edge Tamers and clamp-on forks this spring, and have put both to good use with straps and chains for logs, brush and debris. I've pried up a few heavy stones and filled holes with the bucket. With some patience and finesse I moved a Goliath rotten old oak stub that had fallen over onto a trail that I maintain out back. I've been thoroughly impressed with the power of this little 2210 when thoughtful positioning and leverage is utilized.
But, not much to report here. I haven't broke anything yet. I haven't even hit the 50 hour initial break-in maintenance mark yet. I mentioned that to my dealer when I stopped in there a couple of weeks ago when I asked him if he wants to do it now so as not to have his guys do it when it turns cold for real. He smiled and said "Unless that is your wish, as long as you're not having any performance issues, you can wait till you hit the 50 or so. The guys don't mind the cold Ren".
Last winter was unusually mild for us up here, and although I did use the Berco front blower for the 2-3 dumps we did get; most of my snow duty was completed while looking over my shoulder with the 5 foot back blade. Can't say that my back and neck enjoyed that but - it did a good job. I find myself debating as to whether I want to forgo the blower this coming winter and rely primarily on the blade while using the bucket and Edge Tamers to move piles well off the driveway. Others here on the forum do that with great success. But, my gut (and lifetime of using blowers on N.H. snowstorms "and" not trusting predictions of N.H. winter weather) ) tells me that I may regret that choice before winter is through; especially if we get a "real" New Hampshire winter this year as Mark alluded to. Being a newbie at loader operation, I just don't feel at ease relying on the bucket for snow removal. I'll let you fellas know what I decide in the end.

Gary I have no suggestions on how you can improve your experience with your tractor as, you have far more with yours than I do mine...

I should be asking you! (And have; to my thankful benefit in the past (y))

Renster

·
Kioti SCUT
391 Posts
Being a newbie at loader operation, I just don't feel at ease relying on the bucket for snow removal. I'll let you fellas know what I decide in the end.

Renster
Ren - Just put the Edge Tamers on and drop the bucket into "float." It always worked for me. I just keep it in 4WD and low range.

I pile things up with the rear blade, and if the piles are in the way I clear them with the bucket. Cal

Reactions: Renster of N.H.

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,474 Posts
Renster, use the blower. Otherwise you are going to make us all get way too much snow. 😛

Gary, you might consider a cab, just in case you get more snow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cal,
After what I've done with the bucket and Edge Tamers this summer, I'm tempted to forgo the blower - believe me. I LOVE that bucket!
And, if I found success in that method we would likely sell the very expensive Berco blower that we bought.
That being stated, it's not exactly a quick-attach/detach set up so, practically speaking; I realistically have to make a choice of one or the other come winter. We bought this tractor to be my all around muscle as I get older, but just as importantly to be an ultimate New Hampshire snow fighter (well, ultimate by our standards anyway). I don't have any experience with snow removal with a bucket and am listening intently to fellas like you but, I can say with confidence that I've moved countless tons of the worst snow that New Hampshire winter storms can muster up, whether 6" of icy/slushy stuff or 16" of the heavy wet stuff or 30" of the fluffy stuff, or lest we forget 3 to 4 feet of any combo of stuff the town plows leave at the end of the driveway - and everything in between - with powerful blowers of one sort or another. There is nothing that I can relate to explain the comfort that comes with knowing you've got a capable blower standing by while a lengthy, relentless and unpredictable winter storm you've been hunkered down and watching out the windows all day rages outside, especially when it goes through the night. (You can add a wood stove and good genny to that comfort as well ;)). Yet, when it comes to loaders; I have some thinking to do considering the 1st hand knowledge and well qualified experience of fellas like you. Jeezum Crow Cal... Now You've Got Me Thinkin' again! :unsure:

Al,
If I do decide to go ahead and swap the Berco over for this winter, like I said - I used it on a few good dumps last winter and; that sucker will blow our snow out of the driveway, all the way "over" Vermont; and land on your driveway if I'm not careful with my shoot orientation! :ROFLMAO:

Ren

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,474 Posts
Hey Ren, thanks, but no thanks! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the blower&bucket strategy (and by extension, blower&blade) works best. I find that the blower is all but useless with a wet/slushy snow. Luckily the Kioti blower has a quick dismount that allows for a fast change to a bucket to move slush. The problem with a blade or bucket during a winter with constant & heavy accumulation is that eventually you run out of places to put the snow. While a bucket can move the snow banks that form on the sides of the driveway, a single pass with a blower is much more effective.

For snow falls of less than 6", all I need are my bucket and edge tamers. For the 8' or more snow falls, the blower is the best tool.

Some additional info for noobs - don't waste you money on chains with the CS. I bought chains 7 years ago - and they remain in the box that they came in - unopened (while I've never seen them, the weight of the box tells me they are in there). The CS's 4WD has an abundance of traction. If you happen to have a weight box or backhoe, they will act as a traction multiplier. Prior to the Kioti I had a Cub Cadet 3000 series which was 2WD at it required chains with both the blade and blower. Another tip, change you fuel filter as part of the seasonal transition maintenance (Fram G2) and start using diesel fuel treatment before it gets cold out. A snow blower requires every bit of power the CS can produce, and even a slightly restricted fuel filter will have the RPM's dropping below 2000. Search this forum for my modification on how to change the fuel filter with a full tank of fuel. Adding an in-line valve makes the filter change a 5 minute job. Another tip; a light bar on the ROPS makes night ops a real pleasure.

Regarding AP's suggestion of a cab - I'd love to have a cab but they are just too darn expensive. And from my limited experience with a cab, you need real good heat to keep them from fogging and a great wiper system as well - otherwise you'll spend as much time defogging and clearing the wiper as you will moving snow. I wear a motorcycle helmet when I blow snow. My face stays warm, the shield is designed not to fog and as a bonus, I get to look like a fool. But I don't care, I'm perfectly comfortable and I don't have to suffer through a strong wind directing the blasted snow back into my face.

·
Kioti SCUT
391 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts