My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that I have 2 case transmissions for the articulated tractor I am building :drunkie: Because in this tractor I originally mounted cub cadet hydrostatic transmissions. They were mounted backwards and the ring gears flipped to take advantage of CW rotation engine instead of the CCW cub uses. On the front transmission I built a brace that bolts onto the transmission cover for support and I would like to keep a brace there. So I would like to mount the front case transmission backwards to be able to use the hitch bolt holes for this brace. How will the case tranmission hold up to being run in "reverse". Hopefully that makes sense.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
A little bit hard to follow. Do you have pictures?

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Get with Shenniger, or look up his articulated... he calls it the ArticIngerCase.

Actually here is his page... http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/s/v/svh1/images/Tractor/ARTICASE/Artic-Case.html

His Trans-axles run in opposite directions to each other and he has no issues.

I read somewhere these were designed to run equally forward or reverse. The only issue that has been brought up in the past would be if you have one that has some wear from going forward more than reverse that you would possibly end up with slightly different ratios between your trans-axles in one direction vs. the other.

HTH:thThumbsU

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great! I was hoping that would be the case not only for the support bracket but also to keep the drain hole in a convenient spot to get at. The first task is to rip out the cub transmissions this weekend and see what has to be modified to fit the case transmissions. In this project I had about 90% of the structural framework done so I would imagine that I will have to break out the cutting torch!

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
:wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
In regards to the possibility of wear between the drive motors, I wonder if it would be of value to check the final drive RPM of each trans-axle individually to confirm that they are relatively close so they don't fight each other.

:dunno:

·
Multi Case/Ingy Owner
125 Posts
The 1/2 inch hoses and lines for the main flow circuit such as the ones going form the pump to the TCV, hydraulic PTO, flow control, etc, and going to the rear end drive motor are #10 JIC. The smaller lines that are used on the power steering are 1/4 inch with #6 JIC. The lines that supply the front lift circuit 1/4 inch with #5 JIC fittings. The J26 3 point hitches use 1/4 inch hoses with #5 JIC and 1/4 pipe connectors. The HH34 uses 1/4 inch hoses with #5 and #6 JIC connectors.

Dan

·
Registered
259 Posts
In regards to the possibility of wear between the drive motors, I wonder if it would be of value to check the final drive RPM of each trans-axle individually to confirm that they are relatively close so they don't fight each other.

:dunno:
Fluld drive transaxles will ballance out in general, Its not like a gear drive 4x4 where, If you use different sized tires you will create a bind.

kubotakid

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
How will you connect the two drive motors? If you run them in series the tractor speed will be the same as standard. You have to put the articulating pivot equal distance from each axle center line. If you run them in parallel the speed will be half, but you can utilize the full torque from both axles at half speed. You can achieve both with hydraulic valving so that you can shift (on the go) from series to parrallel, and also have four speeds (actually 5) when using the high low range on the gear boxes.

Does anyone know the ratio between high and low range on the CASE gear box? Is low half the speed of high?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How will you connect the two drive motors? If you run them in series the tractor speed will be the same as standard. You have to put the articulating pivot equal distance from each axle center line. If you run them in parallel the speed will be half, but you can utilize the full torque from both axles at half speed. You can achieve both with hydraulic valving so that you can shift (on the go) from series to parrallel, and also have four speeds (actually 5) when using the high low range on the gear boxes.

Does anyone know the ratio between high and low range on the CASE gear box? Is low half the speed of high?
I am not concerned with speed. This will likely never make it out of low range. That valving sounds complex and expensive. I am all about simple and cheap. These will be plumbed in series. The articulation point is equal distances from the centerline of both axles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would a TCV from a earlier 100 series work for this application? I don't need a lift circuit built into it and the later ones from the 200/400 with strong arm lift don't show up very often.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Would a TCV from a earlier 100 series work for this application? I don't need a lift circuit built into it and the later ones from the 200/400 with strong arm lift don't show up very often.
Don't see why not. Heck you could get away with a good old "feathering" valve off of anything, as long as it passed 12 GPM freely.

Are you gonna use a foot operated pedal to open and close the flow circuit, if so, you will need something with finess.

CASE was not the ONLY maker of hydraulic control valves...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't see why not. Heck you could get away with a good old "feathering" valve off of anything, as long as it passed 12 GPM freely.

Are you gonna use a foot operated pedal to open and close the flow circuit, if so, you will need something with finess.

CASE was not the ONLY maker of hydraulic control valves...
I know I could use something else, but I want to stick with case spec'd stuff for this because I know it will all work together. Just plumb it up and go basically.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts