My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering building an articulated tractor, there is a build that the guy is using a transmission with the front axle coming out of it here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/266449-homemade-garden-mini-tractor-4x4-2.html (I hope this isn't against the rules)
Anyone know of a vehicle here in America that has a similar setup? I have about three junkyards near me. The only ones I know of that are front wheel drive have the transmission mounted sideways. Yes I want 4 wd.
thanks,
dave

·
22,332 Posts
Articulated and 4wd doesn't require a front wheel drive transmission. The steering gear is redundant.

It is easier if the transmissions are shaft driven. Some of the hydros can easily be reversed, but that depends on the transmission and the purpose of the tractor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it doesn't require a front wheel drive transmission but after looking at that other thread it looked like a neat setup.
As far as the golf cart axles, I'm hoping for something heavier duty.
Thanks
dave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know that. I may have to stop at a couple of golf courses and see what they have laying around. Maybe a Trackster utility chassis?
thanks,
dave

·
Registered
176 Posts
My wife and friends all call me a perfectionist, but your attention to details are amazing. I have seen serveral ground up projects on the forum, but you my friend are a master..... Taking notes and subscribed to the thread...

·
22,332 Posts
He was last on Monday evening.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Older Subarus have a similar transmission, but it is FWD until locked into 4x4. Many had a low range as well.
A FWD car setup would make a wild garden tractor power unit- Set it inline on the chassis, one cv shaft to the front, the other to the rear, and some low axle gears and it'd be able to pull anything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How would you guarantee you would have 4 wheel drive with this setup? Or would the normal differential keep power to both axles as long as both axles had traction? Or would you lock it up?
I was thinking a subby might work.
thanks,
dave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much oscillation?
A few degrees or more. I am thinking I could make some sort of adjustable stops to limit/add oscillation distance.

·
22,332 Posts
I'm thinking 20* either way would be good, but I have no experience with articulated tractors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts