My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing R&D for a while now and have also been collecting pieces parts for a few months. I figured this would be a great place to document the build of my new articulated tractor.

I started by buying 2 transaxles from Ingersoll 3018/Case 226 series tractors, a frame, 4 wheels & tires, and various other sheet metal parts...(Thanks Rol :trink39: )

I'm always watching Ebay for parts, so next I found this within 3 hours of my house. SCORE!!!

Now I have another transaxle, 16 HP Onan, Hydraulic pump and valve, and other parts.
Well, the same day I picked it up, I made short work of it by completely dismantling it, cleaning everything, and organizing everything to start the build.

I started working on the rear half first so I shortened the frame enough so that when it's finished I can still use the hood to cover the engine...yes, the engine will be in the back, facing backwards. I added mounts for the transaxle and mocked everything up to check clearances.

I also have been working on parts for the articulating joint that will allow the 2 halves of the tractor to work independently of each other.

That's about it so far. I'll be working on this as time and money allow. I'll update this thread with any new information as I progress.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'll be watching the progress!:thThumbsU (no smilie, again!??)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'll be watching the progress!:thThumbsU (no smilie again!??)

Guess I'll give the new server a little time, or my browser, time to catch up!
:thThumbsU :thThumbsU

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Interesting project though I hate to see a 446 destroyed like that. Keep the pictures coming.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting project though I hate to see a 446 destroyed like that. Keep the pictures coming.
I didn't destroy it...I'm giving it NEW LIFE!!! :thThumbsU It was missing parts like someone started to part it out then quit.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Jeepers, Smitty, I agree totally, but sometimes the death of one provides life for several! I just parted out two "parts tractors," and brought three back to life, plus helped several other save theirs, including the future articulated in question. Not two bad for what was already "parts tractors!":thThumbsU

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Don't paint it yellow or someone might think it is a Cubzilla knockoff, which it isn't. Good job andkeep us up to date.:thanku:

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I had a chance to fabricate the rest of the Articulating joint and get everything mounted. It took much longer than I thought it would, but I'm glad it's done. Tomorrow I'll start working on the front half.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finished the front half of the tractor today and got it connected to the articulating joint. I mounted the axles and tires to the frame and sat the motor in place. It's coming along pretty quickly. I really think I need to build some 6" spacers behind the wheels to widen out the stance a little, but that can wait. Here's a frw Pics:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Ok, I got the picture now! Your wife kicked you out, so you have nothing else to do! :fing20:

All kidding aside, you don't mess around when you get your hands into a project!
Are you going to have a swivel seat on it, so you can go in both directions? I considered that when I was planning.

Looking good, I like it!:thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Your doing a great job on it. Please keep posting and keeping us up to date. slkpk

1 - 20 of 180 Posts