My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Brinly 42" sweeper a year or two ago. When it works, it's great. Lately it's acting as though something is catching in the drive wheels, ie: everything will be fine and then one or both of the drive wheels will lock up and the wheels will just skid across the grass. I opened everything up and sprayed some chain lube on it, but the problem remains.

Anyone else have this problem and a good, cheap solution???

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Yeah I`ve that happen, but it was always a small branch or large twig that got caught in between the brushes and stopped the brushes from spinning. Mine is a Craftsmen High speed made by Agri-Fab.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
yep, I have a Craftsman brand also, and that is what I find. Something gets in a locks up the brushs, usually a stick. Haven't had any trouble with the gears.:trink39:

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
You probably have the brushes set too low. Raise it up a notch. If you are running on uneven ground, avoid high-centering it.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
You probably have the brushes set too low. Raise it up a notch. If you are running on uneven ground, avoid high-centering it.
The height adjustment is the weak link on my sweeper going to put bolts and nuts w/washers on each side of the adjustment bar to lock it in place. The sweeper does a good job of getting small twigs up off the lawn as well as leaves or anything else.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Unlike some of the Agri-Fab sweepers, the height adjuster on the Brinly has positive stops but I found them to be too coarse. One was too high, the next one too low. I drilled a new hole (where the linkage goes) closer to the pivot point which reduced the coarseness. Essentially I also lost the highest and lowest settings in so doing but I didn't need either extreme.

The frame on the Brinly is too flimsy IMHO and I had to weld it to stiffen it some. The flex allows the height of the brushes to vary.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, this has to be something in the mechanism. I was hoping it would be just a twig or something stuck in there. Checked many times. I don't seem to have a problem with the height adjuster either. The sweeper worked great for the first few months that I had it - and I always used it at the same height. Now it seems like something catches somewhere inside the wheel-to-brush mechanism, causing the wheels to literally lock up momentarily, then spin normally again.

I guess I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what I can find.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Here is what the manual says. And a link to the PDF file for the manual with the parts blowup.

Sweeper Wheels....Not moving... Skip...Lock-up:
1. The brush is not turning or stops turning. The adjustment lever is set too
low. Measure the cut height of the mower. Set the brush height to sweep
the same as the cut height.
2. The drive dowel (21) located inside the small metal drive pinion (24 & 25)
are sticking. Remove, clean, and lubricate the dowel with a light oil (WD40,
3 in 1). Do not use motor oil or grease. This should be done at least once
per season. We recommend in the fall before storage as a minimum.
3. The drive pinion is worn and because of the wear it locks up the drive
dowel.Replace the drive pinions. R-2279LH and R-2279RH.
4. The drive pinions when re-installed were installed backwards...ie. the right
side(as if you are sitting on the tractor seat looking forward) was installed
on the left. Remove the pinions. On the back side (opposite) the gears,
there is a stamp "R" and "L". Make sure the pinion with the "R" is installed
on the right side.

http://www.brinly.com/manuals/Brinly-Products/BH-Sweepers/STS-42LXH/L-1789E-B_STS-42LXH.pdf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts