My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have to say, I know little about the Ariens tractors. But they are grouped here with the Gravelys, so figure I would ask a little about them.

Any one have one? How are they? I had looked at an old GT14 [think thats what it was called] when I was shopping for my first tractor, and have to say, it sure LOOKED like a tough tractor. Lot of beef to it, shaft driven deck, and snow blower. Tough stuff. How were they? Were they good tractors??

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
The Ariens side of the family...well....we don't talk about them....
That's why it took three months to get a reply..

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
The Ariens side of the family...well....we don't talk about them....
That's why it took three months to get a reply.. :eck15:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,425 Posts
The old GT series were great machines, except maybe for the fiberglass rear fenders that are commonly seen now a days all cracked up. They were able to handle a cat "0" 3 point hitch, and had full ground engaging abilities. Similar to the Deere 300 series of the same vintage in abilities and attachments (1970's to 1980's) just not as many built, so parts and especially attachments are harder to find. Their were also sold as New Hollands.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi
Sorry to drag up an old post, but I have an input that may be helpful. I myself own a Ariens tractor. It is a 936 series LT12 with 12 H.P B&S engine with a 32 inch deck. So far, it seems to be a decent built machine.:congrats: .Even though it is only designed as a lawn tractor, I have hauled everything form 150+LBS of firewood to a full 10 cu. FT. trailer of compost. It has even pulled out a few Mid-size trees, and moved a few decent sized logs in it's lifetime here :bannana: .The only bad part to the machine is the tranny, and the lack of power for mowing. The tranny on this machine is a peerless 5 speed transaxle, which has definitely not been the smoothest of transmissions I have used, but it gets the job done. The mowing deck will mow down everything, including small bushes and shrub :eek:mg: , but if the grass, or whatever you are cutting with it is over a good 6-7 inches, the discharge will clog up. So overall, I would recommend the Ariens tractors, but make sure you buy the right one with the right H.P and cutting width when you buy one, or you will end up paying for it in the long run. :banghead3
p.s. if you want pictures of my Ariens, all you have to do is ask! :trink39:

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
:Welcome1: TMK and OK wheres the pictures ROF

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
First off :Welcome1: TMK. Hope you enjoy your stay here and please post often. As far as pics go we love pics so please show us what you got. :fing32:

Dur

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure if these should be posted in the Gallery or not, but please do move these if you have to. Apologies for the pic background. New pics of it playing in the snow should be here next time we get a substantial snowstorm! :trink40:

Hope thses arent too large, I'm having trouble with the photo sizing :banghead3

·
Registered
46 Posts
A few More

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
Nice pics TMK. How much land you got there that you mow? I'm asking because i see these pics of a purdy tractor , but i don't see one blade of grass anywhere. :trink40:

Dur

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Thanks for the picture it looks almost brand new. :fing32:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Durwood-I have a little over a half an acre of lawn to mow here. Half is a field that is about .3 acres, and the rest of the lawn surrounds the house. That is why when I bought it, I did not want much more then a 32 inch deck.
Jodyand-Hard to believe, but it is about a 93'-95' tractor! It has had the original 12HP Tecumseh engine taken out, and replaced without he B&S before I bought it. To tell you the truth, I bought it used last year, but it seems like i've had many years of productivity with it. I can't even remember the days when I had to mow with that awful push mower now! ROF

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
I had a 1989 Gravely 1238H (which was really a re-badged Ariens) lawn tractor. It had a 12.5 HP B&S and hydrostatic drive with a 38" deck, bagger, and a 36" or 38" snowblower. All of the attachments were belt-driven.

It was not a bad machine, it was just inadequate for what I wanted it to do. Mowing 3+ acres with that machine became too much of a chore if the grass had any height to it at all. The deck on the machine would also plug the discharge if the grass was the least little bit damp.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TMK,
Thats a lot diferent then the one I had looked at. The one I was looking at was much bigger.

Yours looks like a neat little tractor though.

Welcome to MTF!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Welcome TMK, to MyTractorForum.

You pictures of your tractor are as Jody said "looks new".As Durwood said we like pictures and more pictures.. Also post as much as you wish and enjoy the comradery
amongst the best group people anywhere...........

·
Registered
46 Posts
LPBOLENS said:
I had a 1989 Gravely 1238H (which was really a re-badged Ariens) lawn tractor. It had a 12.5 HP B&S and hydrostatic drive with a 38" deck, bagger, and a 36" or 38" snowblower. All of the attachments were belt-driven.

It was not a bad machine, it was just inadequate for what I wanted it to do. Mowing 3+ acres with that machine became too much of a chore if the grass had any height to it at all. The deck on the machine would also plug the discharge if the grass was the least little bit damp.
Hi LPBOLENS!
Do you have any pictures of your tractor by any chance? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I was looking for a used Deere this past summer and wasn't coming up with anything in my price range - free or cheap. I had the opportunity to buy an Ariens but I wasn't sure how their riders held up. I like their snowblowers.

I might give them another look this summer. My mowing season is from June - mid August, so I don't really worry about riding mowers as much as some people.

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
I'll never pay anything for an Ariens since they buggered up Gravely...just like I won't own anything that says AMF!!! :eck16:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts