My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not had a chance to take a look at it, and grab a serial yet.

This is for sale locally. They are asking 900.

Not sure If there is a mower deck. That will be needed by next april. Can these be had? I am guessing this is a GT17? Figure I can clean it up, paint it and if needed put in a new motor next rear some time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes with a plow and the blower. I can't get the ol' lady to sign off on it unless I can find a mower deck. You guys know of any running around? Would need 'em shipped but I would work all that out on my end. Really want this. The plow is good and my lot really needs the blower. But I have an acre to mow and nothing to do it with.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I have some mower decks that would fit it but I'm a long way from Alaska,can't imagine what the shipping would be as the decks are pretty heavy

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
That will be an awesome machine to have. I've seen 48" Ariens decks on CL and ebay recently, I believe in the $2-400 range.

I started looking at Ariens GTs myself a while back, but in the end decided it was more important to me to be able to use the same attachments (Gravely) on either of my tractors.

(Yes, this does mean that I now consider my tractor collection to be complete) :hide:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ship things all the time. I would use a pallet stand it up on the pallet and band it in ace, little clear wrap and were good to go. Should only be a few hundred buck. If I got it to Tacoma, Wa I could get it up here for free from there. I have guys that brink up conexes everyweek that are rarely full. Just have to get with LTL or similar trucking co. To get it there. Don't have to be fast, can't mow till late April anyways... And this season is just about done.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I gave away 3 nice decks with a GT17 I sold for 350.00, along with another parts tractor and front blade. i bought 3 of them last year for under 400.00, but neither had a plow or blower, but they did have nice decks. I sell them for around 800.00, with deck. Three lifts, three shaft drive PTO's, there's not another tractor like it. I got a 44 inch tiller on mine, I bought it used when it was just a year old, still works just as good. I'd think about a Kohler M18hp or M20hp Magnum replacement when the KT17 series ll goes out.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
I gave away 3 nice decks with a GT17 I sold for 350.00, along with another parts tractor and front blade. i bought 3 of them last year for under 400.00, but neither had a plow or blower, but they did have nice decks. I sell them for around 800.00, with deck. Three lifts, three shaft drive PTO's, there's not another tractor like it. I got a 44 inch tiller on mine, I bought it used when it was just a year old, still works just as good. I'd think about a Kohler M18hp or M20hp Magnum replacement when the KT17 series ll goes out.
Skip the Magnums and go for a Kohler Command Pro instead. Cost of the Magnums is very high, if you can find one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Skip the Magnums and go for a Kohler Command Pro instead. Cost of the Magnums is very high, if you can find one.
Well you'd be underpowering unless you could find a kohler command pro at 27hp or larger, that's what it would take to get the same power as a Magnum 18. Google it, Kohler, Briggs, and the rest have been lying through their teeth about the horse power of their engines for YEARS. A 18hp Kohler command pro which actually has closer to 14 hp is 1500.00 plus the kit to install, you'll have close to 1700.00 in it easy, for a under powered engine. if you go for the big Kohler or Briggs, (26, 27 hp) your way over 2000.00. You can rebuild a magnum for 400-500 if you do it by yourself including machine shop, even if you paid 500 for it it would still be cheaper. Bottom line there is no engine made today that is half the engine the Magnum 18 or 20 is. I see those new Kohler and Briggs engines stacked like cord wood out side the repair shop, 2 years TOPS on commercial use 4 years on residential, **** even the manufacturers are saying that, The cast iron kohler magnum twin and k-series are real engines, with real power that last, what your buying today isn't even in the same class. to each his own, good luck

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Well you'd be underpowering unless you could find a kohler command pro at 27hp or larger, that's what it would take to get the same power as a Magnum 18. Google it, Kohler, Briggs, and the rest have been lying through their teeth about the horse power of their engines for YEARS. A 18hp Kohler command pro which actually has closer to 14 hp is 1500.00 plus the kit to install, you'll have close to 1700.00 in it easy, for a under powered engine. if you go for the big Kohler or Briggs, (26, 27 hp) your way over 2000.00. You can rebuild a magnum for 400-500 if you do it by yourself including machine shop, even if you paid 500 for it it would still be cheaper. Bottom line there is no engine made today that is half the engine the Magnum 18 or 20 is. I see those new Kohler and Briggs engines stacked like cord wood out side the repair shop, 2 years TOPS on commercial use 4 years on residential, **** even the manufacturers are saying that, The cast iron kohler magnum twin and k-series are real engines, with real power that last, what your buying today isn't even in the same class. to each his own, good luck
Interesting observation, I've been anticipating re-powering someday, the M18S on my machine is barely broken in at 650hrs, though the compression reads a lot lower than it should. And it is terribly ineffecient. There's a thread on the Backyard Roundtable about how the Kohler Commands aren't all they're cracked up to be. You give me some food for thought.

I would have thought with the class-action suit that existing motors would get re-labeled based on their net HP, but what do I know?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
As many blown Magnum 16, 18, and 20s as Ive seen, I disagree. Kohler gives a 2 year warranty on the Commands, same as a Magnum. Most common failure for a Magnum is a rod thru the block.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went and saw this baby.

Forgot the serial.

Started right up cold. I did not call before I showed up. Runs great, less then 3oohrs on the meter. very little rust. like new plow. like new tires, no chains thou. Its not a big deal to me. drives well all pto's work. snow blower is in good shape, little pain warn off but other wise in good shape. Tried to talk him down on price a bit. will give him a few days and talk to him again, see if we can figure something out.

Now I want it REALLY REALLY BAD. Even more then the Deere 420's I saw the other day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brought it home today....

I love this thing already.

few issues.

1) the brakes dont seem to work at all. not even with the machine turned off and parked on an incline.
2) The rear PTO will not turn off. I think the clutch is stuck, as the imp. light nor the dead man switch are activated. But the shaft turns.

The guy said the battery was bad, but after putting two qts of water in it. It seems to work just fine :)

Serial number is 007933

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Already adjusted the brakes.

Itching for snow now that I have this thing at home. HEHE.

I thought the GT19's had an axle lock? This one will only spin one tire in the dirt.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
8/25/2010 Ariens Dealer Product History Inquiry
8:47:42 AM

MODEL NUMBER: 931019 SERIAL NUMBER: 007933

DESCRIPTION: T-17KE HYD GT

Dealer #: Owner:
Dealer Name: ALASKA YUKON DISTRIBUTING Address:
Ship Date: 3/20/1985 City: ANCHORAGE
H D Store: State: AK
Dealer Sales Representative: Zip:
Principal Use: Country: USA
Sold Date: 5/17/1985 Phone:
Invoice #: E-Mail:

·
Registered
276 Posts
8/25/2010 Ariens Dealer Product History Inquiry
8:47:42 AM

MODEL NUMBER: 931019 SERIAL NUMBER: 007933

DESCRIPTION: T-17KE HYD GT

Dealer #: Owner:
Dealer Name: ALASKA YUKON DISTRIBUTING Address:
Ship Date: 3/20/1985 City: ANCHORAGE
H D Store: State: AK
Dealer Sales Representative: Zip:
Principal Use: Country: USA
Sold Date: 5/17/1985 Phone:
Invoice #: E-Mail:

How do you find that information? I would love to know where mine came from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts