My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
12,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what was supposed to be a simple R+R an axle bushing turned a bit more this afternoon. I removed the tire on the left, cotter pin and tapped the hub to remove it. No go..... Got out the propane torch and a bigger hammer and still nothing. Had to run a few errands and stopped at the hdw store for bolts, nuts and washers so I could use my 3 point puller to get the hub off. Got a good load on the puller and heated the hub for a while and rapped it with a hammer. Nope still nothing.:banghead3

After an hour of this I threw in the towel and got out the cut off wheel on my 4 1/2" grinder and set about cutting the hub off. I had already hit the mounting flange so much I cracked it off so the puller had nothing to hold onto anymore. Got some groooves cut into it and hammered and chisseled it off. Came off in 4 pieces when all was said and done. Replaced the bushing and holder and decided the other side was not too good either. So I reluctantly pulled the right side wheel and cotter pin. Amazingly enough the hub came off with little complaint. I ordered another bushing for next week so that's no problem.

Now I have to get another hub made up because my parts blower has different hubs and another complete machine I have has yet another different set of hubs. I figure a tube machined to the proper inside and outside diameter and cut to length wil be fine. I'll through bolt it rather than worry about the keyway. I saved the mounting flange and I'll re-weld it onto the new tube. My wife's uncle is a machinest and hopefully will bail me out again.

After it's back on it's wheels I may swap out the engine for the one on my Ariens Rocket tiller (may sell it if anyone wants it). I haven't used the tiller at all in the past year. The engine on the blower now burns a little oil and I want to re-ring it at some point so I'll put it on the shelf for the time being. If time permits anyhow...

And lest I forget the obligatory smash my thumb with the big ole hammer. Thank goodness the parts were still warm from the torch and grinding so I had my welding gloves on. Would have hurt a whole lot more otherwise!

Here are some pictures of the blower in question.....

Attachments

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
At least you only had to destroy one of them. Good Luck Mike!:trink40:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Why not swap the whole axle from the parts blower?

Maybe you will get lucky and it is the differential type.

·
Administrator
12,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not swap the whole axle from the parts blower?

Maybe you will get lucky and it is the differential type.

Well the machine workes fine and the problem was with the bushings being worn. The axle is fine so I didn't see the need to make this anymore complicated then it has to be. I do like the parts machines operation more than the one I'm repairing but it needs the axle pulled and a groove, from wearing through the axle bushing, welded and re ground straight on a lathe. Not worth the extra work to me right now, but I keep it around for spare parts. Take care... :trink39:

·
Administrator
12,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never seize is on the menu upon re-assembly for sure!:thThumbsU

·
Administrator
12,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well at long last here is the new hub my wife's uncle made up for me. It's a work of art, I don't even want to put it on the blower. It would make a nicer paperweight on my desk! Gotta love having a machinest in the family! Gonna put it all back together this week. I have to crossdrill the axle for a bolt to hold it in place, wasn't worth the time and aggravation cutting a slot for the keyed axle. Here's a few pictures....

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished!! I know it's Feb 1st but heck we haven't had much snow to contend with anyhow, And it's 52 degrees out right this minute. I opened up the garage doors to let some heat out from the wood stove, was starting to sweat! Here' the finished product, all ready to go "IF" , and it wouldn't brake my heart if we didn't, we get any snow.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Almost went too smoothly with the reassembly, I figured it wouldn't start as a result but it did so I'm HAPPY!!!!:fing32:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finished!! I know it's Feb 1st but heck we haven't had much snow to contend with anyhow, And it's 52 degrees out right this minute. I opened up the garage doors to let some heat out from the wood stove, was starting to sweat! Here' the finished product, all ready to go "IF" , and it wouldn't brake my heart if we didn't, we get any snow.
Very Nice. I did the bushings on my Ariens this year also. I was lucky though, the previous owner greased the axle hubs. Now that it is fixed, you probably increased the odds for no snow for the the rest of the year.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,941 Posts
I think I have a pair of Airens hubs in my shed!..I know I have the tires ,rims & chains off one I parted out,I'm thinking the hubs on that one had a ratchet type mechanism made into the rim and hubs,they may not be just like yours ...

I have an Airens tiller with a 6 HP Tecumseh ,that has the double output shafts too--it ran good but the float in the carb now has a hole in it,so it flooded last time I tried to start it..whole thing looks like it wasn't used much at all...I'll probably never use it,as I already had a Simplicity tiller that works OK...its for sale !...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts