My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 920404 HD special ( smaller engine, plastic chute and manual cap ). When the auger didn't disengauge, I did the adjustment as per the manual and I couldn't make it work. idler/ engaugement arm seemed jammed and the belt guides did not look right. Took it back and got a 920404 snow tek 24E, the real model. with larger engine, steel chute and automatic chute cap. In the box, and put it togther, knowing an HD employee was not involved.. Still firing this 1 up, the auger remains spinning no matter what. I have not yet adjusted anything. The manual sucks.. anyone familliar with Ariens snowblowers? This is the same machine as the Ariens compact 24, without the light and an LCT engine instead of a B&S

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are the augers spinning full force or more lazily? Is there a brake of some kind on the newer machines? I assume there bust be. If everything is moving as it should that's just odd. I'd normally say try a longer belt. But on a new machine that shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, right now, I have no white stuff to test it on.. The book does describe a brake for the auger, but describes that it can take as long as 5 seconds for the auger to stop.. It takes about 5 seconds for the augers to stop on my old Montgomery Ward/Gilson 490C after I shut the augers down, and that does not have a brake... I havn't done anything to adjust the new machine so I will try that first

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got it working. Adjustment was way too tight and the idler would not release.. Other machine was obviously put togther with the wrong guide causing the jamming issue. This makes 2 machines, same problem with diffrent reasons.. Altho adjusting the cables is no big issue, takes 5 mins to make it right

·
Registered
602 Posts
The cable connects to a friction pad brake underneath the belt cover. The pad rubs against the outside edge of the auger pulley. If the cable adjustment is correct but the auger doesn't stop then the pad has broken. It's a thin piece of brake pad material riveted to the cabled lever arm. Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in my machines case, the idler wouldn't release the belt because the adjustment was too tight. The first machine, just seemed to be put togther wrong. the idler was jammed, and yes the brake was burning the belt from spinning on it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts