My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
As it seems there are not many threads about the old Ariens tractors so here we go..
I just found this old Ariens s 16hydro, in very sad condition. it has been sitting outside for years and been used/abused without any kind of maintenance. I traded in my old Craftsman LT1000 in good running condition in the deal , and was left without any running mower, and therefore in some kind of stress before mower season started. I have half an acre to mow, but I would like to have possibility to do some other work i the garden, that the Craftman was not abel to. The Ariens is HUGE compared to the Craftsman, and have the hydraulik 3 pt lift front an back.
As I mentioned is was in sad condition when I bought it and I had a big time distracting the wife when it was unloaded in our driveway (she do not seems to share my interest in old tractors:dunno:) and thats why I don't have any "before pic"...
I did start with a teardown to see what I had. PO said it was not able to run, he tried every thing to get it to run.
Well we will see how it goes..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369419019.851481.jpg
And added new gaskets. Cleaned the carb and fuel system out. Adjusted the points,- and the old Kohler fired right up. I had some isues with the carb leaking from the bowl. I bought the carb kit from Ebay and got it fixed.
Otherwise the engine was smoking like **** at the beginning, which I have been debating in the small engine repair forum. After a little time its not so bad, however the engine might need at rebuild over time..

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
almost all the mechanical parts were frozen/rusted. it took a while to loosen up brakes and link for the lift system but it is getting along and I've just painted the frame and engine. the hood, grille and fender pan had some dents and crack's in the glass fiber, which have been repaired.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
First ever restore thread, on an Ariens that I can recall from my time here.

Ariens as we all know doesn't get a lot of attention like the other brands. Looking forward to progress and picks moving forward.

GS.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Grand Sierra, yes it is at bit of shame, as i think they are very nice tractors.
I did some small mod's to the front light installation, as the original lenses were shot. ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369490228.625538.jpg . I have found these replacements ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369490301.925939.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369490318.725381.jpg . To make it fit in the grille I glued in the front piece of the lamps and reinforce with glass fiber, like this ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369490629.193214.jpg . The good thing is that it will accept normal H4 bulps now.

Tomas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Looks like you have it coming along real well,on the smoking engine the rings may be stuck from sitting.When I get one like that I change oil and put in 15-40W Kendall motor oil for diesel engines and add some Marvel Mystery oil to the gas a few tank fulls with normal use and lots of times most of the smoking will clear up.Ariens are one of the most under rated garden tractors out there

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been looking for a paint code for this thin high an low and did not come up with any usable information. The closest I could get was Kubota orange. Well, I am not that crazy about the orange anyway, and thought I would try a different paint scheme, -more inspired by the New Holland roots of this tractor..and since it will not be a show model, and it will be a spray can job, I think it will be all right:hide:. Besides I have a lot of this "other color" on stock from a previous project, so that suits me fine:fing32:..
ufortunatly Im not able to upload photos at the moment, must have hit some kind of limit, I take a look at that later:thThumbsU
Tomas

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
i have one in the shop right now and its giving me a hard time.
it will start but won't keep running. clean the carb and set the points to no avail.
is you throttle shaft sloppy?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Capthook :
My carb in generel, have seen better days, and yes the throttle shaft is a bit sloppy.
Tomas

- hey, I can upload pictures again?

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369639503.190898.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Capthook:
Come to think about it, I think you should check if there is flow throuhg your main needle (the long on) there is two small holes which can be cleaned with at torch cleaning set(carefully) /blow through with air. then turn both needles all in, and then approx two full turns out. Then you have the basic adjust and can finetune from there.
Tomas

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the painting is done and I started to put it back together...and as mentioned, the paint scheme is inspired by New Holland.. Ok, - the newer ones.
Here we go:
Some grill parts
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369673764.885347.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369673793.618645.jpg
Hood and fender
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369673867.351546.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369673886.352021.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369673909.885478.jpg
Found a seat
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369673999.335958.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369674030.102336.jpg well....
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369674065.318778.jpg need to paint some black there..
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369674113.468840.jpg

And then I found a willing test pilot..

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369674168.468728.jpg
Thats it for now
Tomas

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
- and a few with 3pt. hitch on
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369674949.739667.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369674972.689154.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1369675004.223025.jpg

By the way I had to ad 4 new tires as the old ones were totally rotten.
Tomas

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gburnett:
I followed your advise and changed the oil to a similar type as you describe and added some mystery oil to the gas, and I believe I see some improvement. thank you.

I am very happy with this tractor so far. it is mighty strong compared to any other I've tried until now.
Tomas

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
I like the blue color much better than the old Sperry Rand New Holland tracto color.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts