My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Experts,

Today, my Ariens Snowblower (Pro Track 26 Model 926041)(9 years old) decided to seize up.
After running for an hour or so, the Wife tracked me down and said her (yes, it is her's) died when she was driving it to the barn.
When I went to check it out, it was low on gas but I pulled on the starter handle a couple of times. The impeller spun but No fire. I gassed it up and pulled it again. Then I went "Oh #!!$*##". The handle would not pull at all! It was HARD STUCK!
The impeller was still free.
I put a strap on it and pulled it to the garage. Then I plugged in the AC for the electric starter. The starter made that horrible "I'm stuck, too" sound and I immediately quit trying to start it.
I'm not a novice n these kind of things but not an expert either. I have a sinking feeling that the engine is seized, especially since the impeller moved.

Any ideas??? It had fresh oil in it and the dipstick level is good.

Thanks in advance....Sschesser in snowy Michigan.

·
Super Moderator
26,737 Posts
Sorry no expert on the walkbehind snowblowers, any possibility that there is a shaft to chain stuck that may have it all locked up? Had an old Murray self-propelled mower and when chain came off and bound up gave very similar symptoms; had to take the chainguard off to find it.

·
1,905 Posts
Or maybe a belt off the tracks... I dunno.

Might try asking over on the snowblower forum too.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
1. check engine oil, that it's at the right level
2. take off the plastic cover just in front of the engine, and see if there's a problem with the belts.
3. take off the belts and try turning the engine over with the pull starter. If it turns over now, try starting the engine.
3. take out the spark plug and see if the engine spins over then (using pull starter, not the electric one).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks....that's what I'm doing today...in 14 deg weather!

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Forgot to mention why to not use the electric starter. If the engine is just hydro-locked from gas, or something external is preventing it from turning, or even if something is actually broken inside, the electric starter can and will break other things, including the starter itself.

If the engine doesn't spin with the force you normally use to start it, applying more force (either with the pull cord or the electric starter) is much more likely to break something than resolve the issue.

·
Joe
1,165 Posts
If it truly is locked up from a broken rod or other major malfunction just stick one of the$99 Harbor Freight Predator engines on it. The guys over in snowblowerforum.com will be happy to assist you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who answered me. The engine IS locked. I'll put it in the barn as a future project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts