My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after sitting many years I decided to rehab my 1st and oldest ariens 21 model 911. its at least 30 years old . I bought it 25 years ago with a sick tired Tecumseh 5 hp and repowered it with a kawi fc150v and used it commercially for a few years. the drive needs some new parts and they are still aval so I tore it down today and ordered new axel bearings and retainers. very interesting desighn . its like they tried to improve on snappers drive system . parts are not cheap tho. def a learning curve to work on these . these are very versatile mowers and the only other mower besides snapper hi vac that can suck up yard debrie.very usefull in my biz.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Good stuff. I assume you meant to type "FJ180V", those were commonly used for the LM21 for years. Great engines that lasted a long time. I've only had them have carb problems, or when someone runs the blade into something hard, and then the crank will bend from the sudden stop.

Unfortunately, Ariens has dumped that style, and switched to a cheapest, and IMHO, poorer design, but that also seems much more complicated. The local dealer I used to go to has evidently stopped selling Ariens walkbehinds for Snapper ones...

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
Good stuff. I assume you meant to type "FJ180V", those were commonly used for the LM21 for years. Great engines that lasted a long time. I've only had them have carb problems, or when someone runs the blade into something hard, and then the crank will bend from the sudden stop.

Unfortunately, Ariens has dumped that style, and switched to a cheapest, and IMHO, poorer design, but that also seems much more complicated. The local dealer I used to go to has evidently stopped selling Ariens walkbehinds for Snapper ones...
He re powered it with a Kawasaki FJ150. It originally came with a Tecumseh.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
It's just that
a) googling for it, nothing comes up for kawasaki fj150 or fj150v, even on Kawasakis engine site
b) later models came with the FJ180V

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
It's just that
a) googling for it, nothing comes up for kawasaki fj150 or fj150v, even on Kawasakis engine site
b) later models came with the FJ180V
Huh. It appears that Kawasaki does not have info on their website about it. Google "Kawasaki FC150V." It is not an FJ, but an FC. They don't make them anymore, and haven't made them since 2002, which is a shame. They are awesome engines.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes its a fc150v not the later fj180v, the engine came originally on a murry ultra tthat I got cheap due to a bad trans, I do have a ariens 21 sw with fj180 . there are 4 ariens in my fleet. 2 have fc150v 1 w/fj180v and one I repowered with a brand nos techumseh 2cycle tvs840xl. 2have swivel wheels and 2 straight axel. the fj180v is an unstoppable beast.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
at first I was annoyed the fc150 was discontinued , then I got my first fj180. wow -what a motor

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
They are stout engines. I had one on a newer JX75, one on a Toro Proline, and another on a Cub Cadet SR621. You just can't stop them.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow some one else with a cub sr621. this is an under appreciated machine and quite a performer with the kawi . mine out preforms every mower I have and that says a lot. love the variable speed pully system. surprised more haven't used this desighn for it makes for a durable trouble free self propelled system, I recently scored a sr621 with fixed front wheels to go with my swivel wheel model. plan to use it a lot next mowing season but its got a briggs. looking for a fj180v to repower it with. I could always use a fc150 as ihave lots of them on dead jdeer 14sb bodies.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
parts came -mower back together and works great -drive train nice and tight again. very complex drive system and diff to work on

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
these are such great machines. using mine on leaf cleanups and its earning $$. treated it to new rear wheels. usually these wheels are 100$ each! but got a bogo on amazon.

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
Awesome!! I hope to find one for commercial use. I like my old Lawn Boys, but I have some rougher properties that I am nervous to use them on.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
while these are ruggedly built for home use -for commercial use I recommend light duty only.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Really? I've used them for years commercially, and they take all kinds of abuse, from falling off ramps, to using them to pick up mounds of pine needles and pine cones under pine trees, gravel patches, spring and fall cleanup. Typically, the only physical damage the mower gets is the front bumper gets pushed against the axle for the front wheels from ramming things. And the motor can be broken by running the blade into something solid, like, say, a Christmas tree holder made from 1/2" square steel...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use mine for picking up all kinds of debrie also. the ariens is a very heavy mower and should have metal wheels instead of plastic. yes you could use one commercially but lots of things will wear out and break prematurely. I am used to full commercial duty mowers like toro ,j deere and snapper make. I tend to treat the ariens with kid gloves. there were gravely versions sold also but were exactly the same mower with a red vs orange paint job. what stops me from using these more is they don't mulch grass cleanly. as a bagger and side shooter there is none better bar none. this is the only mower that will out bag a snapper hi vac.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts