My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everone,
I have tried to search option but to no avail. I am having trouble with my Ariens lawn tractor. S/N 000323 Model 934007. The motor and mower run great however when I go to move forward the hydro trans really surges. When I put it in reverse it works smooth like it's supposed to. The fluids are full and seem to be clean. It tends to work itself out after about 10-15 min of moving / mowing forward. It seems like it is getting worse surging and jumping forward with each use. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Moby1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Fluid is right at the full mark when cold. Would it hurt / help to put a little more in the reservoir?
Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check it out.
I had sent an email to Ariens over the weekend. Here is their reply.

Dear Mike

Thank you for contacting the Ariens Company. The surging could be a couple things. It could be the belt slipping or not having proper tension on the belt. It also could be internal within the transmission.
The first thing to check would be the oil level. Also check if you ar getting air bubbles in the tank which would mean air in the system. This is a self bleeding system and that is why it would go away after a few minutes.

Tom,
Thanks for your reply. The Belts are tight and the oil level indicates full. I think that your idea of air in the system is the problem. Now I just need to track down the source of the air. Any ideas or tips?
Thanks & take care,

Michael

First check if there seems to be a leak somewhere by a fitting or hose.
If one of the clamps are loose when you shut the machine off and the oil cools off it with draw air through one of theswe areas as the oil cools.

Thank you
Tom Dvorachek
Customer Service Rep
Ariens/Gravely Co.
[email protected]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread here but I'm curious how you came out Moby. Hope to hear back from ya.

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Well lets just reopen this old thread anyway. I have the same condition with an HT Hydro. I have no leaks, good belt, oil level ok. It seems to go away after it warms up. I have used it this way for years, just nature of the beast for Eaton Transaxles. Also notice that it does this only on dry pavement or concrete. If your on the lawn, it probably is very smooth.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I am curious; do you see any air bubbles or foaming in the tank or is the oil perfectly clear when running?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well lets just reopen this old thread anyway. I have the same condition with an HT Hydro. I have no leaks, good belt, oil level ok. It seems to go away after it warms up. I have used it this way for years, just nature of the beast for Eaton Transaxles. Also notice that it does this only on dry pavement or concrete. If your on the lawn, it probably is very smooth.
I'm having the same problem with my HT. My though does it in the grass too. It wasn't that bad last year and like yours it went away once the tractor warmed up. This year though it's much worse and doesn't improve at any time. I'm planning on replacing my belts in hopes that does the trick. They are the originals so it's probably their time to go anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Hydraulic suction lines leak air into the system when they are bad and usually don't leak oil on the ground. You can usually see the results of a leaky suction line in the oil reservoir. The oil will be foamy. Even a little foam is generally bad news.

·
Electrician
937 Posts
I am curious; do you see any air bubbles or foaming in the tank or is the oil perfectly clear when running?
My oil is nice and clear with no foam. It has done this ever since I can remember. I was told in the past that Hydrostatic drives always do that even when new, like when moving them around on a showroom floor they do that.:banghead3

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I took my HT to a repair shop and they told me what I suspected but hoped wasn't the problem. They believe my hydro-pump is going bad. I'm hoping they may be wrong but don't know what else would cause the problem. Anyone else have any luck figuring their tractors out?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just an update. I think my hydro is officially done. Long story short I couldn't keep the tractor from rolling in reverse and it ended up backing into my garage door. Anyone looking for a parts HT?

·
Electrician
937 Posts
It's worth fixing, that is a nice snowblower you have there. I have one just like it 24 years old still like new and blows 30 ft away. And considering Maine winters that says alot about Ariens snowblowers. There should never be an Ariens parted out, they are lifetime machines. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Believe me, I'd like to fix it but the only place I've found with a replacement hydro wants $1600!

·
Electrician
937 Posts
I agree that is way too much. I would look for a gear transaxle as the HT's came with both. I have the gears in my YT's and the Hydro in my HT. I can safely say that for mowing Hydro is the way to go, but for snow removal, forget it, gears are so much better as you are always moving slow or changing directions often. It it happens to mine, I will pull it and take it apart to see what makes it tick and try to repair it. Other than that, maybe a used salvage unit or gear transaxle would be the way to go.

·
Electrician
937 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
How much to have pump rebuilt anyone get an estimate? Just wondering, if your near Gardner Ma there's a tractor junk yard called Riverside. Probably not far from Maine.

·
Electrician
937 Posts
How much to have pump rebuilt anyone get an estimate? Just wondering, if your near Gardner Ma there's a tractor junk yard called Riverside. Probably not far from Maine.
Well I don't need one but Jake76 does.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts