My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the post area and looking for some help in trouble shooting a PTO problem on my Ariens GT18. My tractor shuts down when ever I pull the PTO knob out but will continue to run when I push it back in. I was mowing my lawn when the PTO stopped - tractor kept running. When I pushed the knob in and pull it back out the tractor dies. I have checked the seat switch and also move the hydro stat lever to enure that would fail if not on the seat. It appears both switches are working, Battery is good and it starts and drives as long as I dont try to engage the PTO switch. I appreciate any info.
:thanku:

·
Registered
595 Posts
there is a safety interlock on the PTO switches too, as i understand it. i'm not sure where it is or how it works, but the service manual should have a wiring diagram. also, pull the switch and see if it still works like it should, maybe something broke inside causing the PTO to disengage.

tmm

·
Banned
2 Posts
there is a safety interlock on the PTO switches too, as i understand it. i'm not sure where it is or how it works, but the service manual should have a wiring diagram. also, pull the switch and see if it still works like it should, maybe something broke inside causing the PTO to disengage.

tmm

Yes this is true i had one mess up on me it turned out to be the safety interlock i went and bought a new one ..Had to trouble shoot a bit

·
Registered
191 Posts
If the PTO is shorted out internally,when you engage it it could be shorting out the ignition system. Check the safety interlocks first.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If it dies when you engage pto switch it could be switch itself. I had to replace mine last winter w/ similar problem, except mine wouldn't start unless it was pulled up slightly somehow it was appearing on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for my delay in responding back - was on vac. Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded a manual and will try to debug tomorrow. We'll let you know what I find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts