My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking for some input on a 1990 Ariens GT17 that has a transplanted Kohler 18HP twin cylinder. He is not sure about the hours on the motor but claims it runs great. The person is asking 1700 for the tractor, 48" 2 stage blower, hard cab, wheel weights and chains. He wants another 200 for the 48" deck. Any input about the price or what to look for is appreciated. I am going to look at it this weekend. Ill try to attach the pics he sent me. He said that he sand blasted and repainted the tractor, deck and blower. Thanks

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/ckbear20/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything specific I should look for that could point to future problems? I am not veru familiar with this tractor so I have been trying to research it. It seems the best way is to just ask someone with first hand knowlege. Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
those old Kohlers are bulletproof. you'll be buying a very good machine if you go for it!

tmm

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Tractor looks nice, the cab is an Ariens soft cab great tractor if it has a rear pto its a bonus. Blower pic doesn't show cables (2), springs (2). Parts are as much as a lawn tractor, crazy expensive! Just a pto shaft can go for $360 bucks one cable is $80.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has a front, mid and rear PTO. I am going to look at it tomorrow when Im done with work. I am going to ask him to throw in the 3pt hitch and go no more than 1800 and see what he says. He also has wheel weights, chains and a 48in deck. Im a little nervous because of the age of the tractor but I need a machine for doing my snow removal this winter. Is the cables and spring for the chute adjustment up and down? I have seen vids where people have modified electric motors for that adjustment. I think I would go to a bike shop and rig something up. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Those snowblowers are hard to beat.Does it have power steering? Thats makes it nice with the blower on the front.Also you'll need to add a buch of weight on the rear my blower came with a factory weight box which wouldn't be hard to mount up.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There's (1) cable that operates deflector, and a crank that rotates chute & because it has a cab, needs an extension to reach inside cab. Then there are 2 spring arms that attach to tractor and have large springs to raise it. I believe you need to have (2) 75 lb wheel weights or at least a 150 lb counter weight. I once tried to move tractor to weight box with no counter and the blower was so heavy I couldn't gain any traction and I run chains also. Id have the owner put blower on and make sure it all works then you'll know if it's broken or missing parts $1,800 is a lot of money you don't want to spend another $500 in parts etc, good luck keep us posted!

·
Electrician
937 Posts
That's a great buy any way you cut it. It's a machine that will last you forever if you take care of it and would cost upwards of 12k to replace today.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So...............I called the guy selling the Ariens after work today so I could get directions to his house. He told me that he was just finished replacing a bearing on the deck and went to start the tractor and he had no spark. He thinks that the magnum 18 might need a coil. Im starting to get a little nervous about this thing. I told him I would give him a call on monday to see what the diagnosis was. He then told me that he has a Ariens GT17 twin cylinder that he has running. I told him I would take it into consideration but would rather have the Magnum 18. Any opinions out there???

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
So...............I called the guy selling the Ariens after work today so I could get directions to his house. He told me that he was just finished replacing a bearing on the deck and went to start the tractor and he had no spark. He thinks that the magnum 18 might need a coil. Im starting to get a little nervous about this thing. I told him I would give him a call on monday to see what the diagnosis was. He then told me that he has a Ariens GT17 twin cylinder that he has running. I told him I would take it into consideration but would rather have the Magnum 18. Any opinions out there???
There's no coil on Magnums - maybe you need to get that machine away from him! :sorry1:

·
Registered
296 Posts
thats a decent price for the package, you will like it & it works great (as long as it's runnung & functioning). It sounds like there is $1200-$1500 there without the tractor.
Here a couple pics of mine, this was my GT14, but now I have all of this stuff on my GT20, the power steering is nice to have, I have built all electric controls for the blower chute. I also have sony 200watt cd player with Ipod hookup, mxt thunder 4202 amp & a kicker 6.5" sub in there & heat

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info jaynut. :thanku: Well see what he has to say monday. Still wondering about the engine not having spark. I guess if the 18 runs Ill get it as long as the price is right or Ill take a close look at the GT17 he has and go from there.:dunno: I would like a Grand Sierra but they seem imposssible to find. :crybaby:

·
Registered
296 Posts
grand sierra is the same machine with a cheaper hood & does not have the cast front grill ( less weight in the front) otherwise attachments interchange

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Grand Sierra also has an inferior front axle pivot design compared to the S and GTs and no park feature on the shifter.Between my GT 18s with power steering and my Grand Sierras I'd take the GT 18s

1 - 20 of 29 Posts