My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ariens GT 17 is leaking oil. How do I stop this leak? In the pictures, I removed a snap ring and washer from the shaft. The oil is leaking out right around the shaft. When it is running it is a steady flow around the shaft.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Looks like you have a seal to replace. Have never had to replace one but here is the pump
Scan0004.jpg
Scan0003.jpg
drawing and part numbers.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
The repair manual doesn't do a good job of covering disassembly and I have never had one of these apart. I am pretty sure some one on here has though. The Sunstrand was used in other period tractor brands. I will try a search in the stickies section later.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Yes, I have meant to look at one of mine as the GT19 gas tank is still loose for repairs to see how the outside clip #6 can be removed. Most just drill a small hole into the old seal and insert a screw to use as a pull point for removal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already removed clip#6. I have to remove the pump and open it up to replace the seal correct? Also, where do I get a new seal?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Don't think the pump needs to be open, Anyway I see no reason to. Have you tried Gravely or an Ariens dealer near you? Jacks Small Engines #05608900 Seal .625x1.187x.187. at $23 dollars and some cents. I would take the dimensions and see what you could find else where before sending that.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Many seals can be bought in metric sizes really cheap. They are all pretty much Buna-N seals. 16x30x5 is the seal dimensions Ariens listed above. 16mm shaft size, 30mm seal bore, 5mm tall seal.

See if you have 3 (16, 30, 5) numbers like in the pic below on the seal. I just did my BDU-21
hydro and most of my seals were $3 or less when bought by metric sizing.

I drill a couple holes in them and pry them out with a prybar on a wood block so I don't hurt the case. Press your new seal in by hand and seat it using the old seal as a driver.

20210320_191852(1)_compress12.jpg

20210327_160314_compress57.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't think the pump needs to be open, Anyway, I see no reason to. Have you tried Gravely or an Ariens dealer near you? Jacks Small Engines #05608900 Seal .625x1.187x.187. at $23 dollars and some cents. I would take the dimensions and see what you could find elsewhere before sending that.
So I just drill a hole right here, screw a screw in, pull out the old seel and press the new one in (#05608900 Seal .625x1.187x.187. at $23 dollars )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Did it not have a clip and a washer there? But yes look like it down to the seal. I should have take a picture. Will try later today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts