My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hambone
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out some information on the Ariens 934 tractors. Ran across one that a guy I work with has that he might sell but I am not familiar with Ariens tractors. He told me it has an 18hp Kohler motor, K361. He said it has PTO front and back and I think hydro trans. He said the motor is worn out. If anyone can help an old Gravely and Cub owner get educated on Ariens tractors I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ron :thanku:

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Well, I have an Ariens 934 series HT16 with the Kohler 16hp twin. It is built like a tank and is my main mower. I do not particularly like the hydro transmission in it although it runs well, It can't pull anything heavy. What would you like to know about it?

·
Hambone
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave for your response. I was wondering if the Kohler 18 hp would be worth rebuilding or buying a new motor, either Kohler or another brand that would fit in its place. Nice to know that it is well built. I do not know the years they were made, what implements are available, and any other info.Any info would be appreciated. I was wondering if they are comparable in price and durability to a 1980's Cub Cadets. I own 3 Cubs with Hydros and have had virtually no problems whether mowing grass or moving snow.

Thanks, Ron

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Thanks Dave for your response. I was wondering if the Kohler 18 hp would be worth rebuilding or buying a new motor, either Kohler or another brand that would fit in its place. Nice to know that it is well built. I do not know the years they were made, what implements are available, and any other info.Any info would be appreciated. I was wondering if they are comparable in price and durability to a 1980's Cub Cadets. I own 3 Cubs with Hydros and have had virtually no problems whether mowing grass or moving snow.

Thanks, Ron
They are about the same as far as quality and ruggedness. I think the kohler is certainly worth rebuilding as kits are available for that depending on exactly what is wrong with it. I have the 16 and have done nothing to the motor since it was new. Maybe you could get a short block but I think its pricey. With the pressure oil pump and filter, these usually last many years. It will be hard to tell if the Hydro is ok without the engine running. If both the engine and hydro need work then it will cost more than a new cheap tractor for mowing purposes. If you want to retain the Legendary Ariens Quality, just invest in fixing it. The rest of the tractor will last a lifetime. Those are the only two things that ever need worked on. I will include a small manual for you to look at.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts