My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our local weather reporters beat the death out of the term "impact day". They use it for every day. It makes no sense at all.

"Today is an impact day because the weather is nice, so it will impact what you do"
"Today is an impact day because it will rain so you need (duh) an umbrella"
"Today is an impact day because it will be cold and you will need a coat (no kidding!)"
"Today is an impact day because it will be warm and you will need to wear cooler clothes (geniuses!)"

EVERY day is an impact day to these idiots. I would think an "impact day" would ya know, impact the rest of the week or something. Does it seem dumb that the day that the "impact day" is impacting is the day itself? Are your reporters overusing this term or is this just a local thing?

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would consider it an impact day if the wind blew hard, knocked a big branch out of a tree and it landed on me...that would make an impact
"It's windy so... you guessed it, it's an impact day" :D

·
motorcycle cowboy
838 Posts
Here in East Tennessee it's a " weather aware" day.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What always gets me is "there's a 50% chance of rain for today" regardless if there's a cloud in the sky or not; isn't that everyday? Is my wife gonna nag me today about something or not..oh wait that's 100% chance.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Seriously, I have no clue to what you all are speaking of. Is this something new on that idiot box that so many are addicted to? The weather stations I view online are quite humorous when I look past the predicted forecast for the day, but it's the doom & gloom when anything other than sunny skies.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,966 Posts
We must be lucky. Never had an impact day here. And don't you get them started.

Here we are not smart enough to know if it is cold out and windy, it will feel colder than it is.
Seems like we can't be trusted to know the actual temperature.
Instead they mostly push "the feels like temperature " on the reports. Drives me crazy.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
What always gets me is "there's a 50% chance of rain for today" regardless if there's a cloud in the sky or not; isn't that everyday? Is my wife gonna nag me today about something or not..oh wait that's 100% chance.
While I get my news and weather from a variety of online sources, having ditched the idiot box over a decade ago, have noticed a trend to the inaccuracy of certain records keeping. Temperatures and rainfall amounts are wildly off from my own observations. I'm not sure if the weather stations are recording an urban heat island effect in the placement of their sensors or what, but the temps are always higher than what I observe with my equipment.
Actual rainfall totals are almost nonexistent anywhere one looks. The local high school (2 miles away) is part of the Weather Underground network where one would think they have somewhat accurate observations of local weather. The storm that came through last Thursday is a prime example. I observed almost 6 inches of rain, yet the high school had less than an inch total.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weather reporting can only be so exciting.
They have to do something to spice it up.
To make it more exciting I propose "Sudden Impact" days narrated by Clint Eastwood.

"There will be f4 tornados today, the most powerful tornados recorded in history with winds exceeding 100 miles per hour which can blow your head clean off.
The question you have to ask yourself...punk...is... Do you feel lucky? Well do ya...punk?
dh.JPG

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
EF 5 tornadoes are the most powerful. The Fugita (F) scale is old and the new enhanced Fugita (EF) is now used. An EF 5 tornado has wind speeds over 200 mph.

I lived in tornado alley for over four years in Kansas. They sure can ruin your day if they come close!

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,619 Posts
I grew up and live in the Pacific Northwest, on the West side of the Cascades. One of the hardest areas in the world to predict the weather. It's also one of the cloudiest areas in the nation, for overcast. We don't get giant amounts of rain (like in the Coastal Rain Forests), but we used to get lots of days WITH rain. Or something like it.

For the last about a dozen years, it's been literal drought conditions here, but this year, it's back to the old days. I've seen water in the road ditches which is an amazing thing, given how dry it's been.

But one thing that drives us long-time residents absolutely bonkers here is the local weather-guesser calling light showers or drizzle ..."sprinkles". I was with some friends who hobby in weather, and we all shouted in unison at the TV, "SPRINKLES ARE FOR DONUTS!!!" We also complained to each other about one person who was supposedly AMS-certified, where every third word during the forecast was, "uh..."

We all laugh at the one station that will ALWAYS send a crew to the highest point (bridge over Sylvan Hill summit) in Portland to report on "snow flurries", because there they can get a shot of something that looks like snow; while everywhere else in Portland, they're getting rain.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Here in MN, I've never heard the term "weather aware".
being our weather changes a lot, the TV weather people "milk" it a lot,
to the point they make a big deal about small amounts of snow, ie, 2-4", it's not worth even thinking about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts