My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing up an old garden trailer to pull behind my X300 and I was wondering if these tires would work well for it. Not sure if the tread on these would add too much traction or anything like that. I'd like get some tires other than just the wheelbarrow looking plain tires. The tires on it right now are 4.80/4.00-8 which seems to be the same as these ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270396671101&fromMakeTrack=true

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
As far as I know they will work if they will fit.

·
Super Moderator
31,822 Posts
They will work [if they fit] but you realy dont need anything that aggresive. Just a normal turff, or ribbed tire would be fine for trailer use. I hate the "wheelbarrow" style also. Not so much the tred, but they are just a real cheezy, flimsly tire.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I did away with the wheel barrow tires on my cart and replaced them with boat trailer tires available at Walmart cheap.I have had them on there for several years now and have never had to add air.The original wheel barrow tires needed air every time I wanted to use the cart.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I'd second the boat/utility trailer tires,if you haul heavy loads you can get 6 ply rated ones for about 10 bucks more than 4 ply,and probably never have to buy another as long as you own it!..

b have some OLD 6 ply's made in the 1960's that are still holding air fine,though the sidewalls are finally getting some weather cracking now..
8" trailer tires are not much more $$$ tha typical turf tractor tires,and at least twice as strong..most of the cheap tractor tires I see sold now,are about the same as the wheelbarow tires--they are so thin,they are like inner tubes with tread,and puncture and dry rot easily..some trailer tires also seem to crack quickly,some Carlisle ones I've seen only lasted one year on a friends tent trailer,they dry rotted so bad they didn't hold air overnight,had to replace them again..he got Dunlop 6 plys, and they are holding up much better,and not much more money..

Want a REALLY indestructible tire?..go to a small airport,and see if you can get any old aircraft tires or wheels,like a Cesna would have--if you can pry them on the rims,they'll hold any load you can put on them--I found a 16x6.50x6" one at the town dump one day,in nice shape with a new tube,and a shredded one next to it,evidently someone replaced both,and one was still perfect--it took all I could do to mount it,but it has a load rating of over 1500 lbs,and even with NO air,it'll never "flatten",its so stiff!.if you can,get the rims with them,most are "split" rims that unbolt,making tire changes a breeze,and often airplanes use weird sizes,like 7" or 9",probably so people wont put them on other things,but they make ideal tractor and cart tires..good up front for ones with bucket loaders too!..

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing wrong with a little overkill! I'll probably just check out some of the local tires shops to see if I can find something a little more rugged than the cheap 2 ply wheelbarrow tires since I use the cart to haul fire wood. I wouldn't mind having a badass looking trailer though.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Another sturdy wheel & tire for a trailer,if you have the room,is a "donut" spare tire off a later model car..some guys buy a rear hub off the vehicle it came frim,they bolt on with 4 bolts,and have bearings integral with the hub..bolt them to the trailer's sides ,or use a pipe for an axle to munt them on,you'll never hurt those stiff tires,or the bearings either..

We used space saver spares for lots of things at the junkyard..we found a nice wheelbarrow and a hand truck in the bed of a junked pickup truck there one day,but both had no wheels--the wheelbarrow had a rusted out rim,the hand truck had NO wheels!....we could have used them too,we didn't have either at the shop,so we went hunting for something to use for wheels on them--tried lawnmower tires,too small,and couldn't handlle the loads..way too wimpy!..didn't have any 8" trailer tires or wheels either..

Then my co-worker thought of using space saver spares,and for a bearing,he took the flat idler pulleys off the serpentine belt on some Fords we had,that had a ball bearing about 5/8 I.D. in them--the pulley fit perfect over the rims center hole on the donut spares,and we welded two of them on it,one on each side..soon we had the only wheelbarrow and hand truck with 16" tires and rims around,and we used the hand truck a lot to move engines we yanked out around,it even worked good on dirt!..everyone thought the wheelbarrow was cool too,with that big tire,and it didnt want tip as easily as it did with the original 8" tire..we had to "customize" it a bit to get it to fit,but it was worth it..

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd like to see a picture of that.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Sory,the junkyard closed in '05,and I dont think we ever took any pictures of either the hand truck or the wheelbarrow..I dont know how to post any if my computer even could anyway..

But I thought he had a good idea,using those idler pulleys as bearing hubs,so you could use a donut spare (or any car rim really!) on pretty much anything using a 5/8 axle..probably other cars use different sized bearings and pulleys,you might find some with 3/4" or close to it (most are metric),and put donut spares on the front of a tractor or other impliments..I've used 2 and 4 bolt flange style pillow blocks to adapt 4 lug rims to a 1" axle before..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My garden cart has a 3/4" diameter axle. The spindles on my Ford LGT165 are 3/4" also. I put the original front wheels from my Ford on my garden cart by just using a longer piece of 3/4" round stock for the right length axle with the wider wheels. It works great & the wider tires don't cut into the lawn at all.

A lot of lawn & garden tractors use 3/4" spindles & there are lot's of old junkers around to get wheels from, cheap. :fing02:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts