My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Am I alone in thinking that the deck washout plugs are nigh useless? I mean, I hook it up, run the mower for a couple of minutes, it makes a lovely mess on the ground, 'sort of' cleans the left of the deck, makes a sticky mess of the middle one, a simply dampens the right blade. Now I'm talking about starting with a clean deck before mowing, and mowing some 'normal' grass not thick wet stuff. It looks like a great idea, but...

Any comments on how it works for you guys (if anyone actually uses it).

:thanku: in advance.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts

·
Citizen of Earth
15,722 Posts
It didn't work for me on a push mower I had from the 1970's, the tractor I used in the 1980's and I have no reason to believe they work now.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I was told that using it right after mowing is hard on the hot spindles, plus it only made a real mess for me and only like said above, gets the left side.

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:sorry1:, I knew it had to have been discussed before, but simply could not find it by the way I was calling it.

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link Brett. I don't know why I couldn't find this. Oh well.

Just what I thought, it's not me.... the darn thing is a complete waste of empty space. Oh well, I'll guess I'll keep chugging along with my putty knife.(sigh).

Thanks all.

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, here is my new plan....
My new MMM will be a beast. 62" or 60" 7-Iron.

That's freakin' heavy! Soooo, on my new rig, since I won't have a FEL for quite a while, I'll rig a boom to lift the bugger with the 3pt (or front Quick Hitch). Then I can yank off the blades, scrape or power wash the deck without breaking a sweat (or my poor achin' back).

Seems to me some one here posted a picture of a home made boom lifting a rock or something with the 3pt. You'd think I could find it again? Not a chance. Anyone know what I could search for? I tried BOOM, home made, lift, crane, derrick, arm etc. and got way too many hits.

Anyone?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
What I do with mine (and if you have pavement or concrete this makes it much easier) is to roll it out from under the machine and then stand it on end. It's not so bad doing this. My 62C stands on end well enough that I can then use a block of wood and a garden hose to get the gunk off.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
I'd like to beat the crap out of whoever first came up with that "gimmick". Somebody in design/engineering thought, "Let's drill a hole about......HERE........ on the mower deck, and screw this fancy quick release hose nipple on, and include the hose adapter so it can take up useful space in the toolbox. We'll get Marketing to tout this as our brand (insert name here) is the only one that has it, whether it really works or not. "

"That ought to last a couple of model years, in which case we'll kick butt in sales because WE are the only ones who have it. But then, everyone else will see how useful it is (solely as a marketing device, not as a workable cleaning device) and will add it to their machines. By then, well be firmly entrenched in patent ownership and stock holdings with the supplier of this thing, and we'll laugh all the way to the bank."

Oh and see my post on the other, similar, recent thread.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
:hide:

Gulp.
Don't feel bad I think this is the first time anyone Has asked:banghead3:bananapow:bannana::00000060::sidelaugh:Disgus::ROF

1 - 12 of 12 Posts